4.3 V6 build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kdub
Pro
Pro

4.3 V6 build

Post by Kdub »

I'm thinking of doing a future Chevy 4.3 1/8th mile drag race engine. Out of the few v6's I have sitting around there's a vortec a swirl port and an older one with a four barrel intake. Somewhere in the pile is a 200 or 229 V6.

I could just use the vortec for the base or would the semi-even fire crank in one of the other blocks have an advantage? More connecting rod options with the semi-even fire with minor machine work.

So the real question is -- is which might work best in a 1/8th mile motor, even fire or the semi-even crankshaft?
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Re: 4.3 V6 build

Post by Kdub »

Don’t look like much V6 interest. Bummer
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Build the vortec engine. Lots of piston options, with some head work, decent cam, 4 bbl carb and compression I don’t see 300 HP as being a hard target to hit.

We built one with a modified Wieand supercharger this year for a lake boat, made an effortless 360 HP on about 7 pounds of boost.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

If you want to go the boosted route, check out what Ryan Falconer did many years ago with Chevy V-6, I am sure there are others more current, but the power is impressive. Looking at the turbo deal makes me think about building one.
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

I've had lots of interest in V-6 Chevies for the last 25 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZPI6eCN8pE
Use the Vortec engine.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

It's very hard to find the bowtie v6 block and the newer aftermarket v6 blocks are money

The first one developed a small water leak 8) so I took the spare apart to check and freshen if needed. #2 main saddle was broken BAD.
V6.jpg
V6-1.jpg
V6-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i would use the vortec as well. One advantage to the V6 is there is no end of cores out there. My son and I recently put a TBI 4.3 in his 83 malibu but with the intake manifold from a 229 out of an 81 iraqi taxi. He drove it for a couple months until we found a factory 4 barrel intake from an 85-86 chevy pickup. The 4 barrel made a big difference. Only problem is we are still using the log manifolds from the 229 as well. They fit the car better. I think if i was aiming for power i would take advantage of the shorter engine to put a turbo up front.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Adger Smith wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:51 am I've had lots of interest in V-6 Chevies for the last 25 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZPI6eCN8pE
Use the Vortec engine.
That is impressive. What does the car weigh with driver?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I still wanna do a 4.3 someday for the right car :)
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

It depends on what kind of power you want to make. 4.3 Cast cranks are good for about 6200, 6500 MAX. The GMC Cyclone cranks are forged but I think they are common pin odd fire. The later vortec heads are very good and you can get the Edelbrock manifold to fit them on "non" counter balancer blocks.

Pistons, timing chain and all valve train components are a no brainer.

A well built bracket engine can make 375-400hp with the right components for not a lot of money.

I have a 4.3 in a dune buggy, very basic pump gas build , 10.0:1 224@.050 600 double pumper well ported late model vortec heads, edelbrock manifold. It dynoed 340hp @6000 rpm. Its been together for over 10 years and trouble free. It would be very easy to take the same style of build raise compression and throw a bit more cam at it and make 380 ish hp.

You always have to keep the cranks in mind, I believe there is well over 400hp potential with the vortec head, but it would come at an rpm that the crank would not be happy at.

I'm sure that there are 4.3 experts out there that can steer you better, but I have built 1 and helped a half dozen guys duplicate it, so I thought I'd share some info.

You can go big, with some of the aftermarket heads, blocks, and billet crank but it may be more than what your after.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

I’m not sure about horsepower but I’d like to run 7.50’s in the 1/8th in a 2800-2900 car. I’m planning on usual 13 - 13.5:1 compression and a trans brake.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

That take about 450 hp , I'm not sure how an oem 4.3 crank would live with a trans brake.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

There are much easier ways to go 7.50’s than with 6 cylinders, is this for the challenge or is it because you have cores?

I would look towards a centrifugal super charger setup, either methanol or E 85, so you can keep the peak RPM reasonable and make big torque numbers lower since the displacement is small.
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

Yeah just want to do something different. It’s looking like I might have to keep the RPM down and foot brake it but what the heck it should be the only one at the track.