Lowering exh rocker ratio.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Lowering exh rocker ratio.

Post by Steve.k »

If you lower the exh rocker ratio on engine and it picks up hp what does this tell you? Exh port flows to well? Its velocity is down? Or your cam is not correct for heads? Or all of the above?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: Lowering exh rocker ratio.

Post by Mummert »

It tells you the engine could have been over scavenging, remember the end of the exhaust stroke i.e. start of the intake stroke (or overlap) is where the important things happen.
Engines with short exhaust systems can get pretty happy lowering the rocker ratio.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

First thing id question is control of the exhaust valve,
Is the lifter following the lobe , what's going on when the valve is shutting, you sure the valvetrain is happy?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The preceding post applies, but only if the loss is confined to near/at/over peak power.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

All the reasons can get rather involved it could be some combination of all ot just a couple.
One reason not mentioned much is the the exhaust valve is opening to fast and reducing the velocity of the exit exhaust at the seat. However, that is on the opening side ... other things are happening on the closing side as well; especially at overlap.
Faster moving air has less static pressure and can help evacuate behind that velocity.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Do you have flow numbers for the head to post?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I was dynoing my 434 with bt3.6 head. I had made changes of 1.8 rockers and .250 more plenum on tunnel ram. The engine started out fine on torco 112 oxy fuel but we switched to c12 amd was unable to get more oxy torco. From previous Dyno we seen very little increase in the c12 to oxy. In end we were down 20hp couldn’t figure out why so we started to change things. We decided to change rockers back to 1.73 so we started with exh first. It picked up13hp. Then intake and we lost. Again. So change back. After all that we were still down on power and changed fuel from c12 to vp113. Gained most of it back but it never did match the torco 112 oxy. It was just a stumble why we found the rocker gain.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

7A7ADB1A-D752-43C5-AD3E-4184D4D1F4DA.png
Flow sheet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Steve.k wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:37 am I was dynoing my 434 with bt3.6 head. I had made changes of 1.8 rockers and .250 more plenum on tunnel ram. The engine started out fine on torco 112 oxy fuel but we switched to c12 amd was unable to get more oxy torco. From previous Dyno we seen very little increase in the c12 to oxy. In end we were down 20hp couldn’t figure out why so we started to change things. We decided to change rockers back to 1.73 so we started with exh first. It picked up13hp. Then intake and we lost. Again. So change back. After all that we were still down on power and changed fuel from c12 to vp113. Gained most of it back but it never did match the torco 112 oxy. It was just a stumble why we found the rocker gain.
Several rocker arm manufacturers have 1.65/1 rockers for a Cleveland/Big block Ford engine.
Maybe help some more.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Steve,
I run conventional Boss 302 heads and have for well over 40 years been running shorter lift on the exhaust (.060-.100 less) The late ''Racer Brown" (rip) put me on this idea as he said "you are not flowing the same medium , and a flow bench can't simulate that". I have three and a half sets of rockers I test with. 1.65,1.73,1.8 and a half set of 1.9s. If I add rocker and pick up , I could use more cam , and if I lose , I might have too much and go to the shorter rocker. Worst case is I might have to have another cam ground but it is a way to know I if I do.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thats very interesting for sure. You would not believe how many guys tell me my cams to small. After seeing this rocker issue maybe its not. That’s interesting about lift. Wow
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Steve.k wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:40 pm your cam is not correct for heads?
If the power went up, with the lower exhaust rockers. Either the exhaust duration was too high, or the exhaust lift was too high, or both.
It could also mean the Exhaust centerline was to tight.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Mike,
Wouldn't running a couple more dyno tests with the 1.73:1 rockers, one with the exhaust lash .005" tighter and one with the exhaust lash .005" loser help show which direction Steve still needed to go?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

We were running 17 thou lash. On both. Never changed the lash. The lash called for was 12 cold. That usually put us at 17-18. So kept around there, the previous dyno session we went both ways it lost. We set at 15 thou once on the exh and it lost.
Last edited by Steve.k on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Are you adjusting the lash to go along w/ the change in rocker ratio? I.e., same lash at valve with higher ratio is actually increasing the seat duration slightly because the lifter's starting to move lower on the flank.