Camshaft lobe designers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Camshaft lobe designers

Post by hoffman900 »

Thanks, Chase. I asked about Glen because he advertised that a cam designer he had worked with and had “30 years experience” did his lobe designs. Maybe it was David. I think Andrews does a contract work (probably the source of new designs from Web and the like).

Nice little article from RET.

https://www.scribd.com/document/105309301/RCE-cams

Of course they all talk like they’re on the cutting edge (pun intended?) but inverse radius cams for finger follower operations have been around a while.

They talk to:

Mark Stessens - Cat Cams (using his own software)
Andy Burns - Kent Cams (using Lotus Valvetrain software)
John Crabb - Piper Cams (also using Lotus Valvetrain software)

I know for some of the vintage stuff, grinds that I have seen, seem old fashioned, but they also probably weren’t designed by any of the above and likely predate their work. The newer stuff, if they’ve done it, aren’t catalogue cams for those applications.

Billy Godbold did recently do some “low shock” .812” lobes for a BMC A-Series builder. They reported they make more power and the valvetrain holds together much better than Swiftune’s stuff (which is designed and ground by Kent).

PS: Chase, that cam you spec’ed for the TR4 ran like a scalded ape. ;)
-Bob
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:23 pm Of course they all talk like they’re on the cutting edge (pun intended?) but inverse radius cams for finger follower operations have been around a while.
A lot longer then most would guess.
I made a new set of tool steel cams for a 1912 Packard. The original 1912 cams were Inverse Radius.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

Pardon me if I've missed this but does anyone know who the designer for Web Cam Inc is?
ingram

Post by ingram »

hoffman900 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 pm
CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:49 pm A bunch of them went to Harvey Crane's Cam Design school, and used his cam design software.
Others just use one of the other cam design programs that are available.
Very, very few have their own proprietary cam design software.
Well looking at stuff from a few, a lot of them look very similar. Some look like they just cut and paste ramps from one application and "glue" them on to another, others just copy lobes from someone else, some give it the "it's close enough" from another application.

Was jut curious is all. I would be surprised if there were ten people in the US who could design lobes, and less than five who could do it very well.

edit: Forgot Mike Ingram, who posts here.

Does Ben Sloe (spl?) design cams still? I believe he worked with Harold at CCC and went to Howards, when Arrington sold everything.
Thanks for the attention. I am not on here that much but I am glad to help anyone if I can.
Ingram Engineering
Cam Profile Designs
www.camprofiledesigns.com
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

A lobe shape for a specific valve train, and a camshaft for specific power requirement are two different questions.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Momus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:11 am Pardon me if I've missed this but does anyone know who the designer for Web Cam Inc is?
They dont have one, all legacy lobes.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

needforspeed66gt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm
Momus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:11 am Pardon me if I've missed this but does anyone know who the designer for Web Cam Inc is?
They dont have one, all legacy lobes.
Who did design their stuff then?
-Bob
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Web Cam do some stuff for a tuner company i know for some import stuff. These cant be legacy lobes as they are custom to this particular company.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

digger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:09 pm Web Cam do some stuff for a tuner company i know for some import stuff. These cant be legacy lobes as they are custom to this particular company.
Bucket follower or finger follower?

I don’t doubt they sub’ed out to have some some design work done.

If it’s a finger follower, do they have valve lift profiles (and derivatives) and the lobe profile (and derivatives)? I had a cam for SOHC rocker engine from elsewhere that the lobes weren’t designed properly for the geometry, and didn’t compensate for rocker ratio increasing on the exhaust closing side.
-Bob
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm
digger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:09 pm Web Cam do some stuff for a tuner company i know for some import stuff. These cant be legacy lobes as they are custom to this particular company.

If it’s a finger follower, do they have valve lift profiles (and derivatives) and the lobe profile (and derivatives)? I had a cam for SOHC rocker engine from elsewhere that the lobes weren’t designed properly for the geometry, and didn’t compensate for rocker ratio increasing on the exhaust closing side.
it was a rocker arm from SOHC inline 6. About 15years ago they were using Web Cams to weld OEM cams and grind them. Not sure if still the case
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

digger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm

it was a rocker arm from SOHC inline 6. About 15years ago they were using Web Cams to weld OEM cams and grind them. Not sure if still the case
I guess my point was, “are the lobes designed to match the architecture or did they pick out something close enough?” Measuring both lobe and valve and working it out would tell you.

Sounds like a Datsun? I think there were a lot of copies and copies of copies floating around in that world.
-Bob
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm
digger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm

I guess my point was, “are the lobes designed to match the architecture or did they pick out something close enough?” Measuring both lobe and valve and working it out would tell you.

Sounds like a Datsun? I think there were a lot of copies and copies of copies floating around in that world.
it s sliding foot BMW m20 from the 80's not a pushrod, they appear to be specific as the highly variable rocker ratio makes it obvious when its jacked up.