pontiac intakes

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Re: pontiac intakes

Post by ClassKing »

EDC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17 am Is the old "Warrior" intake still available? That was my "go to" manifold when doing Poncho combinations!

The WORST intake ever made for a Pontiac. Why? Not only have I tested it thourghly but just sit back and look at those inside runners. It has TWO curves (walls) for the fuel to hit and fall out of separation. Which it does. It was designed at a time when everyone, even all of the smartest people were learning about airflow. I had the good fortune to have met the designer at Indy one year. About 1995. Nice guy. But I had already graduated from Chaffey college's Advanced Engine Design classes and had already tested that intake.

The good thing about him was he also had learned why it was a bad design but he had moved on from making Pontiac stuff so there wasn't a good tall single plane until the Victor came out.

Here's what his mind set was when he first designed it. Equal length runners was the thought. But, how do you get equal length inside running given the space available? Well You "S" shape them. Wa-la! Equal length. They're only good for looks. Or guys who don't care because their car runs fast enough to make them happy. Ok. I understand. But when you're looking for correct function, this ain't it.
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

:wink:

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Quite a few folks have managed run into the 9s with that Warrior intake , in super stock class no less!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

mag2555 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 pm Quite a few folks have managed run into the 9s with that Warrior intake , in super stock class no less!
Which means absolutely nothing. Why bother posting. And it wasn't "quite a few" It was maybe five guys. And one of the smartest, Roy McKinney, cut two of them up to use the four outboard runners inboard. Worked better.

Sure back when there was NO other race intakes this was better than nothing.

And that's all it was.

As knowledge progressed is quickly was sold to dummies. My last one I had for demo purposes was a flower pot.
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

It really sounds to me like you have a vendetta for the person who last had the rights to cast this intake, more then any good reason you have posted about I got to say!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

mag2555 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:51 am It really sounds to me like you have a vendetta for the person who last had the rights to cast this intake, more then any good reason you have posted about I got to say!
I am guessing that horsepower is not "any good reason" to you ???

You have been wrong about intakes all throughout these Pontiac threads so, it seems to me that you have some kind of vendetta against a lot of newer Pontiac intake manifolds; some that you didn't even know existed.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.