Timing belt to MSD dist. brkt. clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Timing belt to MSD dist. brkt. clearance

Post by swampbuggy »

Have any of you folks ever had a clearance issue with a .391" raised cam block, using a belt driven cam and an MSD front driven distributor. The issue is no clearance at appx. 10 ock. to. 2 ock. between the belt and the bottom of the mounting bracket that mounts the distributor . Mark H.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Timing belt to MSD dist. brkt. clearance

Post by SupStk »

Since no one has answered your question, I'll try and ask a couple. Not on the .391 raised cam but standard location block there is around 1/4" clearance. Wonder if the RC Jesel has bigger sprockets? What is the tooth count?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thanks for reaching out SupStk, OK here is what i've got, the .391" raised cam location, A B.B.C. snout on the Crank which has to mean a slightly larger crank pulley, that means the camshaft pulley / sprocket has to be bigger to be " twice the diameter of it. So that "plus" the raised cam location seem to me to be ( 2 ) factors involved in my issue. To answer your question there are 58 teeth on the upper and 29 on the lower . Oh and one other thing, the belt drive set up is an Xceldyne product which should not make any difference . Mark H.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Add on to the above...the std. cam location uses a 56 tooth upper. :) Mark H.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Providing the distributor belt is tensioned correctly, guess the "fix" might be to machine the bracket for clearance. Kinda sucks cutting on an anodized bracket but it is in a place that don't show. :D
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

The bracket is designed W/ ( 2 ) of the 3 holes properly slotted to make adjusting the little belt a snap, the distributor pivots on the one bolt and the other 2 hold it in the adjusted position . Yep i think thats what i will have to end up doing, and so it goes with Hot Rod stuff right ? It's all good, i absolutely Love a challenge which often entails fabrication :D Mark H. Thanks SupStk for chiming in !