383 with Weiand 177

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Re: 383 with Weiand 177

Post by c1500sbc »

Yea I’m pretty upset it’s not a 177. I paid $1600 for it. Maybe just selling it would be an easier/quicker option. Then I would need to find a 177.

It would be really cool to keep with the blower idea. What compression ratio on 93 pump and a 177 would you recommend? I can research some pistons to swap out the current ones with.

I think ultimately what it sounds like I want to do is find a 177, lower the compression ratio of the current motor (it’s a fully forged 383 and I hate to just have it sit around) maybe swap cams (current one is a 110lsa) and leave that 650hp option in there.

500hp would be cool but 650 would be cooler!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If building a 383 with low low compression for supercharging and using 64cc cylinder heads it is very hard to get a 383 forged piston with a big enough deep dish volume to get the finished compression ratio down low enough for decent boost on pump gas.

Usually you would want to start such a build using 76cc cylinder heads..
Building a 355 with 64cc heads for low Compression ratio is a lot easier using off the shelf forged deep dish 350 pistons.

I recomend if going blower with 64cc heads put that 383 short block a side.

You might want to Cc your heads first before making any decisions either way.

For pump gas you want the compression ratio 8.5:1 or LESS... .... Less being the key word. This is about right for aluminum heads and pump gas. every day...
This allows decent boost with moderate boost spark retard reliabily repeatable on street pump gas.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

Yea I see what you are saying now. Almost impossible to get that low of compression on a 383 and 64cc heads. It looks like a whole new build is in order. First thing is to get my money back or sell the blower.

You think I can get $1650 or more back out of the little 142?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Don't know your local market there..
Here in Canada. Good used Condition ,Yes
"Duck Bucks". (CAN $)

What about upgradeing you High compression N/A 383 for 500+ hp?
Sweeten it up and take it to "the next level".!
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm Don't know your local market there..
"Duck Bucks". (CAN $)

I may do just that. You really think some head work and a solid roller cam get me into that 500hp range?

That’s where I’m at at this point. Definitely getting rid of the 142 and either figuring out a way to get this 383 in the 500hp range or selling it also and building a supercharged 355.
forphorty

Post by forphorty »

My suggestion: 454. It seems that you haven't been pleased with the two small blocks that you have had and you have spent a lot of money. A 9.0 454 with entry level heads, Perf RPM intake and 240ish at .050 flat tappet will put you at 500 hp and probably drive much nicer in a heavy truck with a stick than your current sb. And take it to the track now with the current motor so that you will know if any perceived improvement later is not due to a faulty seat-o-the-pants meter.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

forphorty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm My suggestion: 454. It seems that you haven't been pleased with the two small blocks that you have had and you have spent a lot of money. A 9.0 454 with entry level heads, Perf RPM intake and 240ish at .050 flat tappet will put you at 500 hp and probably drive much nicer in a heavy truck with a stick than your current sb. And take it to the track now with the current motor so that you will know if any perceived improvement later is not due to a faulty seat-o-the-pants meter.
I have thought a lot about this too. Not that I’m building the truck for economy, obviously, but I have a 30 miles drive to and from work I like to take the truck on once or twice a week. The 383 gets 15-16mpg and that’s without a vacuum advance dizzy. I’m just scared of a 454 getting 8 or something crazy low like that!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

c1500sbc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:17 pm
forphorty wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm My suggestion: 454. It seems that you haven't been pleased with the two small blocks that you have had and you have spent a lot of money. A 9.0 454 with entry level heads, Perf RPM intake and 240ish at .050 flat tappet will put you at 500 hp and probably drive much nicer in a heavy truck with a stick than your current sb. And take it to the track now with the current motor so that you will know if any perceived improvement later is not due to a faulty seat-o-the-pants meter.
I have thought a lot about this too. Not that I’m building the truck for economy, obviously, but I have a 30 miles drive to and from work I like to take the truck on once or twice a week. The 383 gets 15-16mpg and that’s without a vacuum advance dizzy. I’m just scared of a 454 getting 8 or something crazy low like that!
It takes a given horsepower to move a given aero drag down the highway. The only difference between a 383" and an 454" is a slight pumping loss. Give the 454" the right overdrive gearing and it will need more throttle and less pumping loss.

One can build a good vacuum advance, better yet a computer controlled EFI and advance curve. You'll never drive the truck enough to save enough in fuel to pay for the high tech gizzies. The 454" torque will make the truck a lot more fun.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The 454 (462-468-496) 10:1cr with ported oval port heads path will definatly get you there. Its a good way to go.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

c1500sbc wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:13 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm Don't know your local market there..
"Duck Bucks". (CAN $)

I may do just that. You really think some head work and a solid roller cam get me into that 500hp range?

That’s where I’m at at this point. Definitely getting rid of the 142 and either figuring out a way to get this 383 in the 500hp range or selling it also and building a supercharged 355.
Yes the upgraded 383 will make 500 bhp and then + some... The heads need a good full port effort but do not need to be max hogged out (thin port walls).
That cam gets you there the first time.. The key on the street with that is keep that lash a bit tighter than cam card. Carb should be a 750HP (820cfm) or a 850 holley or a "950".

I have not used the as cast ProMax heads but I believe that they are good quality but now need to be ported.
Get 20 cfm more in/ ex.

Ok here it comes..... A Eddy street Tunnel Ram on that upgraded 383 will deliver about 40 to 60 MORE horsepower. and MORE TORQUE right where you need it VS any single 4 bbl carb set up.
At this hot street build level it REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS. 2x750's. 2x800's Eddy or Carter Or Holley or holley- BG "Street Demon"..
You knew that it was coming... ha ha..
The Weiand Hi- Ram gets it done too. In my opinion it needs some porting VS the Eddy T- Ram.
A HoT StreeT TruCk is the right vehicle for this.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Not mentioned is the true static compression ratio on the 383 and if the heads are aluminum.

We’ve made over 500 corrected HP on a 383 with close to 10:1 compression on pump gas with a 142 Weiand. Yes we had to spin the whee out of the blower. Max engine rpm spun the supercharger at close to its max rpm. Yes a Snow meth system was used, it represented 50 hp with its cooling properties. Did the blower get hot during operation and not cool down? Yes! Is it advisable to duplicate it? No.

Would I go ahead and try it out in the OP’s case? Quite likely. Would E 85 being readily available influence that choice? Absolutely! The factory pulley arrangement on a 383 struggles to make boost, so you should be safe on 93 octane to start, and if you convert to E 85 you can spin the blower a bit faster, increase the power and keep it cool with the fuel. The lower blower speed keeps the air inlet temperatures under control to begin with.

What hasn’t been mentioned is just how much torque is produced with a blower at lower revs that traditional engine upgrades other than nitrous couldn’t dream of, even at low boost pressures. It provides a great seat of the pants feel.

As a side note we’ve done builds with Edelbrock’s new supercharger, and it’s night and day better than the Weiand blowers. You make a pull with a Weiand and it’s hot. You make a pull with the Edelbrock, and it’s colder than room temperature. Yes we ordered a smaller blower pulley that same day. (This was on a 383)

I don’t think the OP needs to re-invent here. Bolt it on, set the timing to 26 degrees, upsize the jets a couple and go for a rip, listening closely.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Yes the Edelbrock / Eaton E-Force 122H is a much better blower. 500 hp capable.
Again as said Water/Methanol upgrades any all roots style superchargers. More boost more timing more power Cooler blower cooler more dense air charge.
Higher net octane performance.
Better reliability and repeatability run to run and or hard continious WOT running.

Got to warn you again upgrading maxing out the 142 blower will suck up MORE MONEY than starting with a bigger better blower. In the end it will show its real practical performance LIMIT. leaving you wanting...
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

I never cc’d the heads myself but they are advertised as 64cc chambers. The static compression would come in at a whopping 10.6:1 and with the intake valve closing point at 44 degrees it would make a dynamic compression of something like 8.9:1

Even if I’m mistaking at the heads are the 72cc they offer it would still put it at 9.8:1 and 8.2:1.

I put the supercharger up for sale and it’s been blowing up my phone. So I’m not so worried about being able to sell it and get my money back.

I mean, with a possible static/dynamic compression ratio that high, would retarding the timing even down to 26 keep detonation at bay? Or even if it did, it makes me wonder what the power would be like compared to NA at that low of a timing level?

Sure does make me curious lol. I like to tinker, if y’all can’t tell. E85 is definitely available in my area but I’ve heard running it on a carb can be a pain due to the inconsistency of it from pump to pump.

It’s easy enough to bolt the supercharger on, which is why I like them so much. But I’m still torn on if it’s even worth trying. At this point I’m not looking for much more power than I currently have. 50whp would make me a happy man for a while. Then I could just drive what I have until I save up the cash to build a proper motor and keep this as a spare. That’s if I don’t blow it up first!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I put the supercharger up for sale and it’s been blowing up my phone

Its probabily a bunch of guys with 305's.
"Ya ,I want it! Where U live? I' be right over to pick it up!
Some guy on the internet says it will ♪♪♪♪ ↑<>/♪♪♪ !!
bla,bla,bla. ★★!!! "

Ha. ha🔊
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

Haha to be honest half of them were LS guys that have absolutely no clue what they are looking at but the other ones were mostly 350’s just looking for a little extra power.

Man, I wish this thing was a 177!