Peanut vs Oval port, velocity, etc.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

i82much
Re: Peanut vs Oval port, velocity, etc.

Post by i82much »

1980RS wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm In all my years of racing nothing has made me happier than when my no compression 461 ran 11 teens this year with a set of "no one wants these" truck heads in 80 degree heat. Just goes to show that what people sometimes call junk can turn out to be a diamond in the rough.
do you have a build thread on a forum somewhere? would love to see more.
i82much

Post by i82much »

Dragginwagon406 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:23 pm For me, it makes sense to rework the factory castings. I would feel differently:
  • If I didn’t have a skilled performance machinist nearby
  • if I didn’t have VortecPro videos to work from
  • If I didn’t want to control the component quality used in the build
  • If I didn’t enjoy knowing what makes it tick, and why
  • If I couldn’t do the porting myself
  • If it wasn’t fun showing someone what is possible with factory iron
  • If I didn’t want to save about 1/2 of new
would love to see a build thread on your ride as well.
Dragginwagon406

Post by Dragginwagon406 »

i82much wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:44 pm
Dragginwagon406 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:23 pm For me, it makes sense to rework the factory castings. I would feel differently:
Careful what you ask for 😂

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/proje ... e.1138117/

My thread started as a VortecPro engine, migrated to an engine I ported the heads according to VortecPro videos and discussions, and it will finally come full circle as Mark finishes my engine build in the spring.

To back up a little further, I started working on a 496 myself back in 2018, but numerous delays in getting things through the local machinist (the one who actually knows which way is up with performance engines) had me questioning my choices 😂

After the election, the combination of the local delays and results from our screwy election had me frustrated on many levels. This frustration encouraged me to move up my engine order from Mark before the government bans gasoline or it become so expensive you can’t buy it.

Of course, Mark was doing his thing and has a hefty backlog and I knew it wasn’t going to start before fall, at best. Even so, I purchased and sent many of the parts for the build as I knew backorders were about to become a real thing. As luck would have it, after sending Mark a down payment, things starting progressing on my local build, and I kept Mark informed.

It’s important to know, I had already purchased most of my parts for the local build, pre-COVID. Anyhow, patience paid off and the local machinist went out of his way to push my project through to completion.

I’m still very much looking forward to the engine Mark builds - almost assuredly it will push this 4100 lb 13-Second car deeper into the 11s than my engine has so far. Mark was excited to see how this project played out as he’s told other people that it could be done, but no one would actually do it. I’m that guy 😂

I had a car that ran 11.4 @ 117 on Dunlops, with 4.10 gears previously, this is way more fun, everywhere.

Stay tuned, we shall see if it runs 11.5s with 2.56 and the factory converter.
1.87, 11.72 @ 120, 4110 lbs, 2.56 gears, stock stall, 225/70-15 Cooper Cobras
My sleeper video - https://youtu.be/tcOh6gQ_K_E
i82much

Post by i82much »

very cool. now i wanna see how fast i can go in 4x4 with a 496, th350, np205, and 32” duratracs ...
Dragginwagon406

Post by Dragginwagon406 »

i82much wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 pm very cool. now i wanna see how fast i can go in 4x4 with a 496, th350, np205, and 32” duratracs ...
Sounds like a cool experiment. Build for torque, follow Mark’s videos. If you want to buy heads, AFR 265.

These are the highlights from the last year.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index ... 5-coopers/
1.87, 11.72 @ 120, 4110 lbs, 2.56 gears, stock stall, 225/70-15 Cooper Cobras
My sleeper video - https://youtu.be/tcOh6gQ_K_E
i82much

Post by i82much »

Dragginwagon406 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:58 am
i82much wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 pm very cool. now i wanna see how fast i can go in 4x4 with a 496, th350, np205, and 32” duratracs ...
Sounds like a cool experiment. Build for torque, follow Mark’s videos. If you want to buy heads, AFR 265.

These are the highlights from the last year.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index ... 5-coopers/
i know this is weird, but i really want an exhaust-heated intake. i want the coolest hunting and snow plowing truck I can build. Basically I want my truck to be functional as a truck but also satisfy my hot rod needs during the winter so I'm not tempted to pull my GTO out and drive on roads that were recently salted.

See, it all makes so much sense!
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28664&sid=77faf32c8 ... 2aaf4bd435

I don’t know if any has mentioned this thread but from what I read of it there is a lot of information on this subject.
There are Dyno numbers and 1/8th and 1/4 mile times.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

i82much wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:44 pm
I have no build sheet but the car is an 80 Camaro, turbo 400 with at that time 4.11 gears
The engine was a .030 454, with flat top pistons and 116cc chamber heads and with the gasket was about 7.9 to 1 compression
Crower FDP-274 flat tappet solid lift cam, Strip Dominator or my RPM Performer (both performed the same) and a 1000 Mighty Demon
The heads were a 360 PP casting that I bought used with Ferrea valves (11/32") 2.19 and 1.88 that I decided in 2019 to port them over the winter.
This set of heads with all else being the same ran almost 6 tenths and 5-6 mph faster so I will say the heads are pretty stout.
I have run a 10" Jeg's XHD converter and my TCI 8" which worked the best so far

This 461 will pull to 6200 pretty easy but really needs some compression to see some real good results. The 461 now has a set of ported L-29 Vortec heads on it to see if they will be better than the PP 360's. My hope is that the L-29 heads mirror the SBC Vortec heads so my thinking is the engine will make over 600 lbs. ft. of torque. Won't know until late 2021 as I have a lot of other stuff to get done next year, but stay tuned a lot can happen.
i82much

Post by i82much »

good info, thank you!
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:15 pm The bigger valve will only help you with low torque and power. Think area. Up to a certain point, probably around .550, your working off the valve and throat size. You need to get past .25 L/D to work off the port.
Can you expand on this? Wouldn't a bigger valve and its increased flow at lower valve lifts be similar to a larger cam with an earlier IVO etc?
i82much

Post by i82much »

wow, finding a good mark iv 454 core isn’t easy! been all over craigslist lately but haven’t seen anything locally.

brodix block isn’t THAT expensive when you consider how many cubes you can add and the rotating assy stays the same cost as a 496 ...