New Motor: Strange Oil Leaks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: New Motor: Strange Oil Leaks

Post by BOOT »

btwick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm The second issue could be the thin parts of the head gaskets where they meet the intake manifold as mentioned above. Mine go up to the edge of the head, but I didn't put sealant anywhere on the head gasket. It could be flowing out to the outsides of the heads there somehow.
That is what people are telling you the leak most likely is.

Lightly smear some RTV on both sides of the ear/tip/top/point or w/e you wanna call them, of the head gaskets before install. If using MLS head gaskets add a dab at the tops of the tips since they are short.

Since you didn't use MLS head gaskets, when decking or cleaning up those spots on the heads or block they could now be low spots and no longer crush seal.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

You're doing the UV thing but reading it downstream, places that don't have oil to leak.
You could pressurize or vaccumize it!
Duct tape substitutes for for a wide variety of very low pressure/vacuum fittings.
Good luck.
btwick

Post by btwick »

Thanks everyone. Decided to reseal the intake, and not pull the heads for obvious reasons (e.g. cost of gaskets, resetting valve train, etc.). But before that, cleaned the top of the head gaskets by the intake manifold with lacquer thinner, including the heads and block, and applied a schmear of RTV above and below the gasket, and of course everywhere it needs to be on the four corners and china walls. This should be good to prevent the seepage of oil down the heads to the bottom bolts. Will report back.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I use my evap smoke machine for oil leaks occasionally and it shows pretty quickly where things are awry.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

btwick wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:35 pm Thanks everyone. Decided to reseal the intake, and not pull the heads for obvious reasons (e.g. cost of gaskets, resetting valve train, etc.). But before that, cleaned the top of the head gaskets by the intake manifold with lacquer thinner, including the heads and block, and applied a schmear of RTV above and below the gasket, and of course everywhere it needs to be on the four corners and china walls. This should be good to prevent the seepage of oil down the heads to the bottom bolts. Will report back.
<a bit late now> Be extremely careful putting silicone on both sides of a gasket, it makes a great lubricant so a paper style (non metal reinforced) can possibly split as the manifold is being torqued. I used to silicone both sides around the water ports but after one split and leaked coolant into the lifter valley. If necessary, I use contact cement on the head side of the gasket, then silicone on the intake side.

You’ll be fine.