Solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cams

Post by 408 Nova »

I have heard of people doing this. Question is why? And what's the reliability on this? Will it last very long?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cams

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Can you keep the lash set tight, tight, accuratly?

IMHO should really only be done to test A-B VS the perf of your hyd roller lifters, then take corrective measures as needed to get the hyd roller lifters working . Short term testing..

Solid street roller cams have proper lash ramps and will make more power than hyd roller cams (even with solid lifters on)
Why not just get a street/endurance DESIGN mechanical street roller cam and kit in the first place? Someone will buy your hyd roller setup.

Hyd roller setups are great right up to the point where they become not so great.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

408 Nova wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 am I have heard of people doing this. Question is why? And what's the reliability on this? Will it last very long?
I don’t use hydraulic lifters any more because they are just as noisey as a solid anyway. Plus the hydraulic lifter is a shock absorber in the system and a solid lifter takes that out. You get more valve train stability too.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

408 Nova wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 am I have heard of people doing this. Question is why?
Because some people are under the false belief that it's easier on the valvetrain, then running mechanical roller lifters on a mechanical roller cam.
That's completely false, and in some cases, it can be much harder on the valvetrain, depending on the hydr roller lobe profiles.
Some hydr roller profiles have no opening ramp at all, and accelerate quickly, right off the base circle. This makes the velocity/acceleration at the lash point much higher then most mechanical roller profiles.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Adding to Mike's comments, some people believe hydraulics lose significant lift from plunger bleed-down.

I did not see anything "big" related to loss of lift when I did dynamic spin testing on hyd rollers. Maybe about .010" as a worst case, and I saw some solids that did about the same thing.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

There must be a little more to it.

Both Blair Patrick (1st place) and Geoff Mummert (2nd place) ran a hyd cam with solid rollers, in the last EMC.

I don't understand it but, maybe it has to do with matching valve flow % to cam duration? I don't know but, there must have been a reason.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

frnkeore wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:28 pm There must be a little more to it.
Nope. Not a thing more to it.
There is nothing to gain over running mechanical roller lifters on a mechanical roller cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
i82much

Post by i82much »

If one picks a mild solid roller lobe that can run with moderate valve spring pressure and runs a lifter with a proper oiling provision, can you see 50k mile durability out of a solid roller or more? If so, what lobe family is out there that can provide this kind of longevity? And do you wind up with any real gain over a hydraulic roller if you run a solid roller with a milder profile suited for longevity?
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

CamKing wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:02 pm
Nope. Not a thing more to it.
There is nothing to gain over running mechanical roller lifters on a mechanical roller cam.
Mike, what about running one of your solid roller cam lobes with a .904 morel hydraulic roller lifter?............street/strip deal not a racing deal.

Foxwell & Straub used to do a lot when they were working together..........and made good reliable power.......it seemed to work!!

The morel .904 lifter can take some seat pressure and open pressure.

What's your thought's?
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Mike can confirm,Comp told me I would loose about 8 degrees of duration and what ever lash I use on lift.They told me 6 thou.So your making you cam smaller by using solids and you should treat it like a solid roller cam and add spring pressure to control the valve train.Tom
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Both Blair Patrick (1st place) and Geoff Mummert (2nd place) ran a hyd cam with solid rollers, in the last EMC.

I don't understand it but, maybe it has to do with matching valve flow % to cam duration? I don't know but, there must have been a reason.
The biggest reasons are called maximum valve lift RULES and high spring forces.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

i82much wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:34 pm If one picks a mild solid roller lobe that can run with moderate valve spring pressure and runs a lifter with a proper oiling provision, can you see 50k mile durability out of a solid roller or more?
Yes, with the right cam and lifters 50k is not an issue.
If so, what lobe family is out there that can provide this kind of longevity?
You need to work with a cam company you trust, to find you the right profiles for what you want to do.
do you wind up with any real gain over a hydraulic roller if you run a solid roller with a milder profile suited for longevity?
Yes, but the amount of gain depends on different factors.
On higher RPM engines, it's a bigger gain.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bob460 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:36 pm Mike, what about running one of your solid roller cam lobes with a .904 morel hydraulic roller lifter?............street/strip deal not a racing deal.
The Morel "Limited Travel" hydraulic rollers that they run on mechanical roller cams, are not really Hydraulic.
They're basically a mechanical roller lifter with a small amount of movement to get passed tech in racing classes that require hydraulics.
That's why they work well on mechanical roller cams.
There's zero advantage to running them, over a normal mechanical roller lifter.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am
bob460 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:36 pm Mike, what about running one of your solid roller cam lobes with a .904 morel hydraulic roller lifter?............street/strip deal not a racing deal.
The Morel "Limited Travel" hydraulic rollers that they run on mechanical roller cams, are not really Hydraulic.
They're basically a mechanical roller lifter with a small amount of movement to get passed tech in racing classes that require hydraulics.
I'am i wrong in thinking that the hydraulic roller lifter would last longer because the needle bearings don't get beaten to death like a solid lifter would?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

bob460 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:29 pm
CamKing wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am
I'am i wrong in thinking that the hydraulic roller lifter would last longer because the needle bearings don't get beaten to death like a solid lifter would?
Solid roller needle bearings don't get beaten to death, if the cam is designed correctly. That's what the lash ramps are designed to avoid.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449