CB Performance Type 4 VW aluminum engine case

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

agertz1
CB Performance Type 4 VW aluminum engine case

Post by agertz1 »

I am considering buying # 1155, all aluminum, without stud holes for cylinders,( a plus). I will bore cases to fit my cylinders. CB claims stronger
but won't say how much vs. OEM. Anyone have experience with # 1155 ? I prefer not to drive 9 hours, roundtrip to examine.
Thank You, Art. #-o
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: CB Performance Type 4 VW aluminum engine case

Post by modok »

that's a type-1 case, 112mm bore spacing
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

A lot of wasted time. Anyone make an aftermarket type 4 case ?
Thanks, Art.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Probably no. Even the new subaru is still type-1/SBC bore spacing. But perhaps Pauter could.
I suppose most are satisfied with the 4" or so bore size possible from siamesing the cylinders.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

What does autocraft offer if they’re still around? They were big when the money sheets still ran VW motors
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Not much demand for a block if there are no killer heads to put on it, and if you DO make your own heads and billet everything then no real reason to adhere to any particular stud pattern or spacing.
The type-4 was partly destined to be a flat six, and some WERE built, does that count? :wink:
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

Just buy the Pauter engine. It solves all the issues you will run into.
https://pauter.com/parts/super-pro/

The T4 case is strong enough for over 600hp, its the heads that are garbage. They flex so much these engines won't hold a valve adjust for more than one pass at the strip.
nicholastanguma
HotPass
HotPass

Post by nicholastanguma »

Fusion Works wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:18 pm Just buy the Pauter engine. It solves all the issues you will run into.
https://pauter.com/parts/super-pro/

Yes, a hundred times YES!
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

Thanks for the good info. Sustaining 600 hp. with a stock type 4 block is impressive. Where do I follow such a build ? I'm gambling my time and $'s
about, what used to be call Hot Rodding. What if it actually works ? My goal is to have the first iteration, 90% correct. I will proceed cautiously.
Onward , Art.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Not sure what the differences are with type4, but when I was thinking about the VW I wanted Scat.

https://scatvw.com/product-category/engine-case/
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

"Just buy Pauter" I see nothing on their website suggest this is suitable for 95% street use. It also seems "pricey". It appears 2 of the studs,
break into the chamber ?
Art.
Fusion Works

Post by Fusion Works »

agertz1 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:55 pm "Just buy Pauter" I see nothing on their website suggest this is suitable for 95% street use. It also seems "pricey". It appears 2 of the studs,
break into the chamber ?
Art.
You are gonna have a hard road if you want to keep a +600whp street aircooled engine. You could machine better fins for the cylinders, or have a set of Nickies made to allow for usage on the Pauter engine. The other option would be just watercool the Pauter head. Treat it like a 962.

The 600+ build was back in the late 90s early 2000s. Drag race only Beetle. Dave somebody. He worked for CB performance I believe. I talked to him few times. Said his T4 engine could make one run at 35psi before the heads would flex and move around. Doing a valve job after every weekend. Valve adjusts after every run. Draw through carb, race gas. Working from memory back in those days.

I quickly decided 3 main bearings were never going to be durable enough for real power and the heads had huge limitations. I just accepted my 914 would have an engine swap. Thats what Suby flat sizes are four.
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

Dean Lowery of Deano's Dynosoars had a big type 1 engine you could make 3000cc's aluminum case big bore,,

I think 4in sleeves were removable from twin castings with fins made out of aluminum,,

Type 4 style heads, sleeves were made by LA sleeve.

I think Dave said they only made a 100 sets or so,,

Deans brother owned some foundry in southern Ca and made most all the cast items for Bugpack and made the case's and heads v/covers.

We ran 1 in a VW midget with alcohol,,

There was a friend of mine here in Tucson that has 2/3 of these engines, and another man here that ran these engines,

1 in a sand drag rail and 1 in a mud bog sand-rail both with turbos ,

Too bad that both of these guys passed away just lately Keith Ernst a couple or years ago at over 90yrs old and Al Page around 80 or so just in the last 6 months,,

And I'm sorry to say I don't know where all their stuff went to,, so it probable that's its gone forever,,

Dean also campaigned the EMPI inch pincher,,

And the engine that I'm talking about was called a ARPM engine there might be some information on the internet ..