Exhaust issue on a Superflow 110

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Galon
Exhaust issue on a Superflow 110

Post by Galon »

Has anyone worked with a Superflow 110 flow bench? My problem is, when switching from intake flow to exhaust flow the electric motors stop. This should be just a diversion of air and nothing associated with the reversing of the motors. Anyone have an idea about what could be happening?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Exhaust issue on a Superflow 110

Post by mag2555 »

There are Intake and Exh fans on that bench, so my best guess is it's the control switch .
If you remove the screws from the top steel plate and slice thru the sealer in a few spots you can gently pry the plate up.

With that done you can swap the wires between the Intake and Exh fans to prove out the switch or not, or just do a continuity test thru the switch with a test meter that has that function.

If it turns out it needs motors I think they are around 115 bucks each.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I believe the electrical part of the direction selector is just an on/on switch, which sends current to the appropriate pair of motors for the flow direction selected.

The direction selector also changes the routing of the vacuum tubes to the manometers.

It could be as simple as a connector fell off the switch.

I think you can see it by looking in the hole....... might need a mirror.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Galon wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:23 am Has anyone worked with a Superflow 110 flow bench? My problem is, when switching from intake flow to exhaust flow the electric motors stop. This should be just a diversion of air and nothing associated with the reversing of the motors. Anyone have an idea about what could be happening?
not actually related to your Problem ,
but just additional Info you might be interested in ??

i purchased my SF-110 in Feb 1978
in that year Model , the clear tubes on the Exhaust side were not secured enough ,
they would flop around ONLY during testing Exhaust side Flow testing , and this affected Exhaust Flow numbers a little,
when compared to SF600 Bench readings ,the "Fix" was to use a few small nylon Tie Straps to secure clear tubes,
and cut excess off the nylon Tie Straps, and now the SF-110's Exhaust side more closely matched the SF600 at the same Test Pressures

i discovered that problem after trying to correlate all my Flow Data between my old SF110 -vs- my then new SF600 Bench

i don't really know if SuperFlow was aware of Exhaust side small problem or if they fixed in Models after Feb 1978 ????
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com