Intake Manifold Plenum Floor Question...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

stealth
Guru
Guru
Intake Manifold Plenum Floor Question...

Post by stealth »

Why is the plenum floor left flat in most every intake?

It seems to reason a mound or bump to help keep the fuel from crashing into the floor would be helpful.

Any feedback on this?

As an example, but just one means to start the air/fuel turning.
Intake floor.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: Intake Manifold Plenum Floor Question...

Post by 1980RS »

I have that intake and it terrible our of the box. Look at the tops of the runners at the top of the carb pad, no way for the air and fuel to make a decent turn with all those sharp edges. Our Strip Dominator was the same way, re-worked that area first and the car picked up 2 tenths and 1 mph just fixing that alone. The turtles on the plenum floor will help if needed. The one you have looks to be pretty nice, who's is it?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Turtles also reduce Plenum volume, so if your 60 ft times pick up along with NO mph loss then you know that your Plenum volume needed that reduction.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

An engine works in pulses and when a cylinder's runner fills it comes from all over, not just the closest barrel, sometimes from inside other runners. Well until a certain rpm maybe, idk I'm low rpm stuff.

Some make a low spot on the floor to hold puddled fuel from running into the back runners, just look a the floors on dual planes. Speaking of dual planes...
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

BOOT wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:46 pm An engine works in pulses and when a cylinder's runner fills it comes from all over, not just the closest barrel, sometimes from inside other runners. Well until a certain rpm maybe, idk I'm low rpm stuff.

Some make a low spot on the floor to hold puddled fuel from running into the back runners, just look a the floors on dual planes. Speaking of dual planes...
Exactly.. if air just funneled in from the carb turtles and raised floors would make sense. But from what little I know pulses come back into the plenum forcing air into opposing cylinders. A raised florr would direct those pulses toward the roof of runners.
Am I not understanding the basic principals here ?