Question About Sleeving A Block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Question About Sleeving A Block

Post by PackardV8 »

The old girl will be geared way too low for the 454"; plan on a rear axle ratio change or a five or six speed overdrive transmission.

In fact, I've got a TH400 with a Gear Vendors OD which would be perfect in that application. PM me if you decide to go that way.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

GMC 351 or 401 V-6 is probably out-of-the-question due to parts and core availability...but it would be cool to keep the GMC "all GMC".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203202008460?s ... 1438.l2649
^^^ No relation. I think it's wildly over-priced.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

A truck like that would be cool with a 4-53 in it. Not a bunch of power but a whole lotta noise.
Jim
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

When I did my apprenticeship 30+ yrs ago we used lithage and glycerine when fitting sleeves for heat transfer between the block and liner. Not real nice stuff 100% lead oxide iirc. I don't know if is still available nowadays though.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

davidbraley wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:50 pm Maybe I should just go with an even more modern V8 like the 350 SBC you mention. I've got a 454 from a 1977 suburban here that might also fit. In the end, moving to a V8 would make driving this rather large truck more fun for sure. Especially over the mountain passes...

Thanks to all for your ideas Gentlemen! Much appreciated.
A 292 build with a better cam, intake and some head work will work quite nicely. Na and boosted.
On youtube there was some tv show that build a 65 pick up or wagon (cant remember which) that had a 292with a turbo on 10psi boost, tbi unit, made about 510 lb-ft of torque. Will look if i can find the link.

Edit.
Found it. https://youtu.be/WfyofaN0j3g

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life