mild 360 dodge buildup

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

mild 360 dodge buildup

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I'm not a dodge guy, but i have a customer with a 68 dart with a 273 and he wants more power and the 273 is worn out. I suggested a mild 360 and he liked the idea. He doesn't have a core but i have a couple. I have a 99 360 magnum and a 78 360 truck engine. He is looking for enough power to squeal the tires and just be a fun cruiser. Are there any dodge experts that would suggest which core i use ? It will stay carbeurated. I'm not sure of the condition of my cores but either one will have to be torn down, maybe re-use some parts, maybe a true rebuild. not looking to spend big money or go racing.
thanks
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: mild 360 dodge buildup

Post by PRH »

Either will work fine....... they both have their pluses and minuses.

The magnum will have a HR cam, and the heads are likely to be cracked.

If the heads are usable, the Magnum will be the easier path for the level of performance you’re talking about.
Re-ring it, go thru the heads, regrind the cam, intake for a carb........ done.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

PRH wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:25 pm Either will work fine....... they both have their pluses and minuses.

The magnum will have a HR cam, and the heads are likely to be cracked.

If the heads are usable, the Magnum will be the easier path for the level of performance you’re talking about.
Re-ring it, go thru the heads, regrind the cam, intake for a carb........ done.
X2 on the Magnum. Unless it came from a low mileage wreck, the heads will be cracked. The good news is he wants aluminum heads and intake anyway.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I didn’t see any mention of aluminum heads.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

id opt for the 78 for a core.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

PRH wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:42 pm I didn’t see any mention of aluminum heads.
he wants more power . . . He is looking for enough power to squeal the tires
Full explanation. By the time he buys new Magnum iron castings, new valves and gets it all set up, the loaded aluminum heads aren't that much more of a stretch.

Reason I know this is my machinist has this discussion with would-be Mopar customers regularly. One guy was stubborn. He just wasn't going to spend the money for new iron or aluminum heads. Every weekend, he'd go to the U-Pic yards around town and pull a pair of heads. He'd get charged $50 up front to clean, mag and pressure test them and they were always cracked. Finally, he was told pick up his pile of junk and take it somewhere else. When reaches that point, no one was going to be happy when his engine was done.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Rebuild the 273 and supercharge it.
Word is there is a Weiand 142 blower kicking around this forum that needs a new foreverhome.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Thanks for the help friends,

lets assume the magnum heads are cracked, Is the magnum short block still an advantage ? I read that the bores and pistons are usually much less worn and that the factory roller cam setup (with an upgraded cam of course) would be worth using ? Also designed with better gaskets to prevent leaks ? am i on the right track ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Assuming the stock heads are cracked.........
If you can do some minor porting yourself, there are Chinese magnum castings available.
They flow a bit less ootb than the stock heads, so you’re going to want someone to spend a few hours cleaning up the ports.
Edelbrock makes aluminum replacements, but they’re not that cheap, and they’ll require different rockers and pushrods.

The early heads oil the shafts through a passage in the heads.
Magnum heads are pushrod oiled.
Trying to pushrod oil the stock LA rockers isn’t likely going to work out very well, and a 99 magnum block isn’t likely to have the oil passage drilled from the cam bearings to the deck for LA head oiling.
However, there are some aftermarket rockers for LA heads that can be pushrod oiled......... but that’s an added expense.

“If it were me”, if the magnum heads were cracked, but the rest of the core was decent......... I’d prep a set of the Chinese magnum heads and keep it all magnum.

It will likely be the cheaper option to end up with something decent.

This is somewhat based on the assumption that the magnum core will be in better condition to start with than the LA 360.

Might require pulling them both at least partially apart to make the final assessment.

The 78 360 will likely have a true CR of under 8:1 as is.

There is a video or two from Richard Holdener on some junk yard Magnums.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

One more thing with regards to the cracked magnum heads.........

I have heard that when pressure tested, they don’t usually leak, and have seen where people have just installed seats in the non-leaking cracked heads and carried on.

Depending on what machine shop costs are like in the area you live, fixing the stock heads may or may not be cheaper than the Chinese replacements.
At this time, the Speedmaster magnum bare heads are $339/ea(on sale).

There’s also the option of buying some reman heads off a place like Odessa.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

PRH wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:37 pm One more thing with regards to the cracked magnum heads.........

I have heard that when pressure tested, they don’t usually leak, and have seen where people have just installed seats in the non-leaking cracked heads and carried on.

Depending on what machine shop costs are like in the area you live, fixing the stock heads may or may not be cheaper than the Chinese replacements.
At this time, the Speedmaster magnum bare heads are $339/ea(on sale).

There’s also the option of buying some reman heads off a place like Odessa.
Pretty normal to see cracked Magnum heads that perform perfectly fine in all but all out competition. Saw the same in Ford Flatheads.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

If the vehicle that Magnum core came out of was worked pretty hard, not only will the heads likely be cracked, but I’ve seen them with some pretty significant exhaust seat recession as well.

As with most of this stuff....... which direction to go often comes down to how big the budget is.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Krooser wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm
One more thing with regards to the cracked magnum heads.........

Pretty normal to see cracked Magnum heads that perform perfectly fine in all but all out competition. Saw the same in Ford Flatheads.
For true. It comes down to whether one is giving a warranty on the work. My machinist won't rebuild a cracked head. Might run and last, might not and he just won't take the chance.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Looks like Promaxx has assembled Magnums for $409/ea.

In stock at Summit.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

been a mopar guy my entire life, not sure that makes me an expert or not. I also vote for the magnum engine, mainly because it has roller lifters. I have built several 360 based 408 strokers. They all turned out very well, set up for the street with a mild idle, and all made over 400HP. And since they were not to be raced, used cheap stroker kits with cast cranks, lots of them on Ebay for around $1,500.00 Used stock heads with some pocket porting. If you use the stock rotating assembly, make sure you get some pistons to get the compression up a little, most of the ones I checked have less compression than the specs given, they are just a turd with a mild cam and less than 9 to 1

My personal street car is a 69 cuda with a procharged 408, I makes 600HP and is really fun to drive, electronic fuel injection on pump gas. I use RHS X heads for that build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.