solid roller lifter

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

4spod
solid roller lifter

Post by 4spod »

Any input on what caused these horizontal cracks on these solid roller lifters , roughly 700 - 1000 miles on them .Thanks Marc .
20210316_164251_Burst01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: solid roller lifter

Post by lefty o »

imo, poor metallurgy.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

just thinking aloud ... are lifter bores bushed ? if so, do they extend both above & below OE bore ? :-k
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Where are the cracks in relation to the push rod seat ? Also, looks like some scuffing down near the roller ? What does the rest of the lifter look like ?

No matter what I would be getting them back to the manufacturer for them to look at.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

what kind of spring pressures were being run? I have seen several failures at least on mopars from last season where they upped the spring pressure and lifters failed.
4spod

Post by 4spod »

They are not bushed , specs on springs are seat pressure 155# , coil bind 1.195 , spring rate 441# .
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Sounds like light spring pressure for solid rollers?Tom
4spod

Post by 4spod »

tjs44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:33 am Sounds like light spring pressure for solid rollers?Tom
More of a street grind 552-564 lift x 1.6 rocker 230 - 236 @ .05 duration 6000 rpm max .
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

What is strange is that you would not expect there to be that much stress in that area unless the pushrod seat is way above it. Is the lifter real loose in the bore ? Still wondering about the scuffing down at the bottom.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
4spod

Post by 4spod »

BillK wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:21 pm What is strange is that you would not expect there to be that much stress in that area unless the pushrod seat is way above it. Is the lifter real loose in the bore ? Still wondering about the scuffing down at the bottom.
The lifter bore is good or i would of noticed slop upon installation ,i also miked the lifter on the scuffed area and non thrust area and theirs no more than a few tenths difference also the pushrod seat is below the crack , when the inside of lifter was bored or drilled out by the manufacturer you can feel grooves felt by my finger nail left by the machining process , im no expert but imo those grooves COULD OF created stress cracks on 3 lifters . Thanks Marc