1 inch balance holes in end of crank thows bad?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

NXBOY
Pro
Pro

1 inch balance holes in end of crank thows bad?

Post by NXBOY »

Would think they would make drag, airrate oil and make more windage. Was thinking about pressing in with loctite some light weight plugs upside down and spot welding them in. Would measure plugs and amount of wire used to weld and remove the same from each side of holes. Am i forgetting any thing important??
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: 1 inch balance holes in end of crank thows bad?

Post by mag2555 »

If you do not have, but can fit a tight fitting crank scraper in your motor I would devote time energy to that project first!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Seconded. You're much better off worrying about the density of oil spray near the crank than the aerodynamics of the crank itself.

Oil spray increases the density of the crankcase "air" by 7-8x and is largely caused by oil being flung from the crank and slammed into the surface of the sump (and nearby surfaces) in much the same way a handful of gravel makes a nice spray when you throw it into a puddle. Except it's superman throwing the gravel and he never stops.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I agree with the effort being used elsewhere.
This also begs the question. Which hole causes less air disruption? 1 deep hole or 2 less deep holes?
Welding that plug will melt and pull the loctite contaminating the weld if you can accomplish it at all.

Edit: If you are determined to try this I recommend filling the holes completely with a nice fitting chunk. Then spin it up to see what you can do for balance correction.

Perspective: If you are in a class where every 1/2 HP is crucial then go for it.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

If it worries you, in the last century 2-stroke bikers used to glue corks into crankshaft balance holes to 'improve flow'. Simple & cheap to do and the liteweight plugs won't modify the crank balance factor. I doubt if you'll see anything + or -, but then you can go onto something else with a clear conscience. Unless its a Porsche 928 which apparently has odd crankcase dynamics that I don't understand.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

jsgarage wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:29 pm If it worries you, in the last century 2-stroke bikers used to glue corks into crankshaft balance holes to 'improve flow'. Simple & cheap to do and the liteweight plugs won't modify the crank balance factor. I doubt if you'll see anything + or -, but then you can go onto something else with a clear conscience. Unless its a Porsche 928 which apparently has odd crankcase dynamics that I don't understand.
What glue will hold a cork in crank?
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

We used "yellow death" weatherstrip sealant, fully cured. Won't last for years but you're only trying to prove the viability of the idea. If it improves things, makes you attractive to the opposite sex or otherwise improves your life, you can make it permanent several ways already suggested.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Do you feel a pair of rod big ends flailing around are less or more disruptive than that balance hole?
NXBOY
Pro
Pro

Post by NXBOY »

I understand a crank scraper is better at helping what I was concerned with. Never used this big of crank and just thinking about little things I can do to keep crank from picking up oil. got a Canton screen type windage tray, need to look into a slot type tray sounds like and crank scraper. Hope I can just buy a race pan from Moroso and be done with it.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Those holes in the crank won't make a bit of difference. They are there for a reason, leave them alone. If you're worried about windage losses, put the biggest oil pan you can on it with a big kickout.....that will do more to help control windage than anything. Scraper will help a little but oil needs a place to go. Best option if you can afford it is dry sump......

FYI, I run a 5" stroke in my stuff, and a dry sump. My last engine was a 4.5" stroke and wet sump with large kickout on pan.....don't overthink it....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer