Chevy 383 stroker build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Chevy 383 stroker build

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

skinny z wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:33 pm I recall the green Bird very well. The launch is what brought it to my attention. My 60' then was around 2.xx.
That would have been me but the vehicle in question would have an 86 TA with a 502 BBC. Stick car no less. That car wasn't there but the owner was and probably racing his white 81 Monte Carlo. The Moser 12 bolt had a weepy axle seal and we couldn't get the situation resolved at that time.
Small world isn't it?
Yup. I think that was the car. Axle seal. axle bearing put it out of action that day. Yes a small world.. I was going to suggest if in the GTA area getting a shipping receiving warehouse mail box in Niagara Falls NY. VS paying broker fees. If you buy a lot of parts.
I deal with a speed shop in Tonawanda NY for a lot of stuff.. Very fast very competitive pricing, treat you good there.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:49 pm
skinny z wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:33 pm I recall the green Bird very well. The launch is what brought it to my attention. My 60' then was around 2.xx.
That would have been me but the vehicle in question would have an 86 TA with a 502 BBC. Stick car no less. That car wasn't there but the owner was and probably racing his white 81 Monte Carlo. The Moser 12 bolt had a weepy axle seal and we couldn't get the situation resolved at that time.
Small world isn't it?
Yup. I think that was the car. Axle seal. axle bearing put it out of action that day. Yes a small world.. I was going to suggest if in the GTA area getting a shipping receiving warehouse mail box in Niagara Falls NY. VS paying broker fees. If you buy a lot of parts.
I deal with a speed shop in Tonawanda NY for a lot of stuff.. Very fast very competitive pricing, treat you good there.
If I was still back home I'd be all over that.
The chassis shop I was affiliated with had a lot a shipments from the states. That's still run by Tom Briton of Altered Images. He's the former area manager for Performance Improvements (back in the 80's and early 90's) and bought their installation division back when. We were always looking for ways to economize and streamline the parts ordering process. For me, now that I'm here in the west, the best I can do is get a US post office box and make the 6 hour trek to the border and get my stuff. COVID has kind of crushed that idea though. And my build plans. At least for the last couple of years anyway.
Nice to tap back into the old memories. Wish I was still there.
Kevin
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Kevin,
What rods and deck height are you at
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

steve cowan wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:35 pm Kevin,
What rods and deck height are you at
Steve
The current 355 shortblock (GM forged crank, Elgin rods at 5.7", Speed Pro 1.560" compression height piston) puts me at .014" down in the decked Gen 1 block.
If I were to go to 383 CID, I'd start from scratch.
This particular 355 is well sorted and if nothing else, I'd keep it as a viable core. That viability will be determined once I've taken everything apart, measured and then MPI'd the rods and crank. That magnafluxing is something I can possibly do in house.
Kevin
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I'd put that one back in stock …( for a rainy day) and find another block to build your 383.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:50 pm I'd put that one back in stock …( for a rainy day) and find another block to build your 383.
Exactly that.
Kevin
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

skinny z wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:58 pm
Small world isn't it?
The chassis shop I was affiliated with had a lot a shipments from the states. That's still run by Tom Briton of Altered Images. He's the former area manager for Performance Improvements (back in the 80's and early 90's) and bought their installation division back when. We were always looking for ways to economize and streamline the parts ordering process. For me, now that I'm here in the west, the best I can do is get a US post office box and make the 6 hour trek to the border and get my stuff. COVID has kind of crushed that idea though. And my build plans. At least for the last couple of years anyway.
Performance Improvements- I remember that name, late 80's early 90's before I went west- had a small shop in Oshawa Ont, still there I think....I deal with a forwarder (rarely now) out of Sumas WA- who also have an office in Abbotsford- Letterlock. I only deal with them when venders shipping is a/ outrageous, b/ won't ship to Canada.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

dfarr67 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:56 pm
skinny z wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:58 pm
Performance Improvements- I remember that name, late 80's early 90's before I went west- had a small shop in Oshawa Ont, still there I think....I deal with a forwarder (rarely now) out of Sumas WA- who also have an office in Abbotsford- Letterlock. I only deal with them when venders shipping is a/ outrageous, b/ won't ship to Canada.
Sadly, the PI location in Oshawa is history. I'd been there many times in my racing days. Lonnie had been around forever and he's still a good friend of my former associate Tom.
https://performanceimprovements.com/blo ... has-closed
On the other hand, I see Karbelt in Pickering is still going strong. I practically lived there in the late 70's early 80's when I had my Beaumont.
Kevin
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

There was Karbelt too I think.
Vancouver favorite haunts were Mopac- Kingsway, Mopac- Langley, Lordco- Port Coquitlam, Lordco- Douglas Rd, Burnaby
Mostly online now.