Holley metering block questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mr. Fink
Holley metering block questions

Post by Mr. Fink »

Hello,

New to the forum, but have been lurking for sometime reading up on the carb posts. I have a few metering block questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have came across what appears to be a Holley 1000 HP carb. I wanted to use the carb on the street in a milder 489 BBC—10:1, 781 heads with big valves, roller 240 @.050.

I have purchased a set of cast metering blocks that have been modified for adjustable bleeds. I had planned on taking a pin gauge and set the block up as the factory blocks were as a base/start. Now to the questions I have. The blocks and idle tube (that goes into well) came separate. How do I install the tube? Press in until flush, or will it bottom out? Does it take any type of sealer? Which way should the top hole in the tube face or does that matter? The long tube drop tube should not have any holes in it correct?

I may not have used the correct terms in describing what I have. I am familiar with rebuilding and basic tuning, but this will be my first time going as in depth in carb with this carb.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: Holley metering block questions

Post by PRH »

The only metering blocks Ive seen with press in idle tubes are for 3 circuit carbs...... which a normal Holley HP1000 is not.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Mr. Fink

Post by Mr. Fink »

I’m sorry, I should have mentioned the blocks have been converted from 3 circuit to 2 circuit. They are BLP blocks. So not just in someone’s garage.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

On the 3 circuit carbs that I have R&R’d the idle tubes on, I just use a tiny amount of red loctite around the top lip of “spool” when reinstalling.

Frankly, it seems like it would have just been easier to buy some tunable billet 2 circuit blocks.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

As stated, you need two circuit blocks, and appear to have three circuit blocks. The feed tube that fits into the main well is a restriction on flow and can create issues. Many of the aftermarket three circuit carbs now use a divorced idle feed circuit that eliminates that problem. Save your frustration and get the proper ones for that carb....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Coloradoracer wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:01 pm As stated, you need two circuit blocks, and appear to have three circuit blocks. The feed tube that fits into the main well is a restriction on flow and can create issues. Many of the aftermarket three circuit carbs now use a divorced idle feed circuit that eliminates that problem. Save your frustration and get the proper ones for that carb....
SOME 2 circuit blocks have idle tube restrictions pressed into the IDLE WELL but, certainly not the 1,000 cfm carb.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Personally I would try the carb the way it is before you start screwing with things. You might be surprised at how well it runs the way it is.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
i82much

Post by i82much »

BillK wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:57 pm Personally I would try the carb the way it is before you start screwing with things. You might be surprised at how well it runs the way it is.
wait ... are you saying that you shouldn’t start fixing stuff before you know that it doesn’t work? that’s crazy talk! dogs and cats, living together ... MASS HYSTERIA!!!!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

BLP actually has a deal on 2-circuit blocks atm if you don't mind clear anodized. Bought some myself and made a quick vid for my subs https://youtu.be/z-NswrrlCBM
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Mr. Fink

Post by Mr. Fink »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Would the blocks I have be any different than the BLP billet blocks? BLP did the conversion from 3 circuit to 2 circuit.
Mr. Fink

Post by Mr. Fink »

i82much wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:46 pm
BillK wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:57 pm Personally I would try the carb the way it is before you start screwing with things. You might be surprised at how well it runs the way it is.
wait ... are you saying that you shouldn’t start fixing stuff before you know that it doesn’t work? that’s crazy talk! dogs and cats, living together ... MASS HYSTERIA!!!!
I have been known to complicate things before….
WolfWengler

Post by WolfWengler »

If they are BLP blocks, why would you not address your questions to BLP?
Me? I use 2 circuit BLP blocks
Mr. Fink

Post by Mr. Fink »

I will call back on Monday. I was just curious and to have something to do over the weekend.
Mr. Fink

Post by Mr. Fink »

Just a follow up, closure to my questions in case someone else in the future has these questions. I followed up with BLP this morning. The Holley cast blocks they sell and convert from 3 circuit to 2 circuit are fine for my HP carb. The idle tube is pressed in with the hole at the top of the tube pointing towards the idle restriction in the block. The idle tube has no other holes, except at the top as mentioned.

Ansley
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I had a 1000hp and the metering blocks were not much different than my 4781 850 Holley's were. I do have one 850 that was tricked out by Fuel Curve Engineering (anyone remember them?) from way back in the late 70's and the metering blocks it has have 3 circuits and a intermediate tube just above the throttle blades and does it work good, so good in fact that it hung right with the 1000hp on the dyno and works super good at the track. Have not used it in a while but I think I will give it another try.