HV oil pump/too much oil on top Q

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: HV oil pump/too much oil on top Q

Post by Alaskaracer »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 am These are positive pumps, not like a water pump.

If the pump puts out a fixed volume depending on rpm and it is only limited by the spring which bypasses excess volume (which it is), the fact remains that what goes in must come out. If you consider the engine to be a fixed orifice as a whole, when you have more restriction your bypassed volume in the pump goes up. If you have less restriction, your bypass reduces.
As such if you have a restriction and the pressure P1 from the pump is higher, the pressure what remains after the restriction (P2) will equally be higher in the same amount (the pressure reduction will be the same as the restriction itself has not changed). As the volume of a fluid cannot change, the speed by which is passes through the engine has to increase.
As such I'm starting to doubt that oil limiting pushrods might work. A reduction in pressure by changing the spring would be more effective.
Using a std volume pump would evidently also reduce the volume, but it would only reduce the bypassed volume as I would have to assume there would be enough spare capacity to build pressure.
I'm not talking about a water pump, I'm talking about positive displacement pumps...I teach hydraulics, VERY well aware of how they work. A fixed volume pump displaces a fixed volume PER ROTATION only...spin it faster, higher volume.....

Now, the bypass spring/valve is NOT the only limiting factor. The leak rate of the engine is the main one, and it changes slightly with heat....oil gets thinner, clearances increase...not much but a little, and it does have an effect. As the pump rpm increases, the amount of oil circulated through the engine increases until the volume exceeds the leak rate's ability to keep up....THAT'S when the bypass becomes active, and it's only active until the pressure drops below it set point, then it closes. It will open and close very quickly, as once a large leak is created, the pressure drop is instant....

Something else to think about, oil pressure is much overstated....What would you rather have, an oiling system that can reliably deliver X amount of flow to the bearing surfaces under all conditions, but at a lower pressure, or a higher pressure that cannot? Pressure in an oiling system is not an end all be all solution. A very large percentage of the time, especially on BBC and SBC engines, a high volume pump is a waste of money.....The stock pumps are more than capable of supplying sufficient oil under all conditions. Only when excessive or increased clearances are used does a higher volume pump become needed, and that's just to overcome the leak rate........

On my dry sump on my dragster, you'd think the pump would move a massive amount of oil....it does not. The pumping element isn't much different in size than a standard bbc oil pump.....I run 9 quarts in my system...7 in the tank and the other two in the engine....I have a huge oil pan and the majority of the remaining oil is there when the engine is running....I can set the system to deliver more than 100 psi, but all that does is cost me hp, and does nothing for improving oil flow.....right now it's set to 70 psi and my bearing look better now than they did when it was at 100....

As to the original question about oil on top, if you're filling valve covers with oil, it's not a pump or sump size problem, its a RETURN problem, and that needs to be addressed. In more than 30 years of this stuff, I've NEVER ONCE SEEN a pan pumped dry as so many state......And that's on street, off road, and racing engines running just about every type of pan there is, from max rpms of about 3500 to more than 8000........
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:08 am Hi Guys,

I'm evaluating a couple of things on an engine of mine which always had oil consumption. I'm going to at least get the heads done as I believe the valve guides are too loose (which is odd as these heads were all new Dart pro 1 aluminum 215 heads which came assembled from the factory and the engine maybe has about 4000 miles on it, anyway...).

I'm not fully convinced this will sort out my problem, so I may even need to dig into it deeper. But before I do that, I would like to get a view on the following:
https://www.airflowresearch.com/195cc-s ... nder-head/

AFR seems to say that when using a HV pump and a high pressure spring, which I have (HV because I use an oil cooler and some fairly long lines and high pressure because of the 7500 rpm red line on this engine), can cause oil consumption because it would submerge the valves stems and seals fully in oil. Is this a real possibility? If so would using a std spring (if so which one) be a solution? If not what other options are there?
We build dozens of small blocks with HV/HP oil pumps and don’t have oil consumption issues. If the guide clearance is correct and the seals are doing their job, any residual oil in the covers is irrelevant.

I’ve found the heavy weight oil and the thin stuff is all like water once it’s 200 degrees, the difference is the light stuff pours like water at room temperature. :lol:

If you have (excess) crankcase pressure, that’s a ring seal issue.
Last edited by rustbucket79 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

rustbucket79 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:08 am Hi Guys,

I'm evaluating a couple of things on an engine of mine which always had oil consumption. I'm going to at least get the heads done as I believe the valve guides are too loose (which is odd as these heads were all new Dart pro 1 aluminum 215 heads which came assembled from the factory and the engine maybe has about 4000 miles on it, anyway...).

I'm not fully convinced this will sort out my problem, so I may even need to dig into it deeper. But before I do that, I would like to get a view on the following:
https://www.airflowresearch.com/195cc-s ... nder-head/

AFR seems to say that when using a HV pump and a high pressure spring, which I have (HV because I use an oil cooler and some fairly long lines and high pressure because of the 7500 rpm red line on this engine), can cause oil consumption because it would submerge the valves stems and seals fully in oil. Is this a real possibility? If so would using a std spring (if so which one) be a solution? If not what other options are there?
We build dozens of small blocks with HV/HP oil pumps and don’t have oil consumption issues. If the guide clearance is correct and the seals are doing their job, any residual oil in the covers is irrelevant.

I’ve found the heavy weight oil and the thin stuff is all like water once it’s 200 degrees, the difference is the light stuff pours like water at room temperature. :lol:

If you have (excess) crankcase pressure, that’s a ring seal issue.
I know the guides are loose. I'm going to get them redone.

Don't think I have excessive blow-by. Anyway I compared what I have to my dd and it seems to have more blow-by but doesn't consume oil (but it's a turbo diesel and has around 80k miles). No real pressure in the crankcase and out the breather with the pcv blocked. The are some fumes yes, but not like it pressurizes everything. PCV is more than able to handle the blow-by even with the low amount of vacuum my engine has. If I connect the PCV I don't have any blow-by coming out of the breather at all.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:44 pm
Something else to think about, oil pressure is much overstated....What would you rather have, an oiling system that can reliably deliver X amount of flow to the bearing surfaces under all conditions, but at a lower pressure, or a higher pressure that cannot? Pressure in an oiling system is not an end all be all solution. A very large percentage of the time, especially on BBC and SBC engines, a high volume pump is a waste of money.....The stock pumps are more than capable of supplying sufficient oil under all conditions. Only when excessive or increased clearances are used does a higher volume pump become needed, and that's just to overcome the leak rate........
This right here! I've been preaching this for more than a decade. I would much rather have 8 gpm flow at 40 psi than 4 gpm flow at 80 psi.

I actually don't even look at the oil pressure in my own drag car. The time or two I have checked it, it was only 7-8 psi at 1000 rpm idle (0W-12 oil) and just 30-35 psi at 6500 rpm. But, there's plenty of oil flow which is far more important. Stock volume pump and no issues at that pressure.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:44 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 am These are positive pumps, not like a water pump.

If the pump puts out a fixed volume depending on rpm and it is only limited by the spring which bypasses excess volume (which it is), the fact remains that what goes in must come out. If you consider the engine to be a fixed orifice as a whole, when you have more restriction your bypassed volume in the pump goes up. If you have less restriction, your bypass reduces.
As such if you have a restriction and the pressure P1 from the pump is higher, the pressure what remains after the restriction (P2) will equally be higher in the same amount (the pressure reduction will be the same as the restriction itself has not changed). As the volume of a fluid cannot change, the speed by which is passes through the engine has to increase.
As such I'm starting to doubt that oil limiting pushrods might work. A reduction in pressure by changing the spring would be more effective.
Using a std volume pump would evidently also reduce the volume, but it would only reduce the bypassed volume as I would have to assume there would be enough spare capacity to build pressure.
I'm not talking about a water pump, I'm talking about positive displacement pumps...I teach hydraulics, VERY well aware of how they work. A fixed volume pump displaces a fixed volume PER ROTATION only...spin it faster, higher volume.....

Now, the bypass spring/valve is NOT the only limiting factor. The leak rate of the engine is the main one, and it changes slightly with heat....oil gets thinner, clearances increase...not much but a little, and it does have an effect. As the pump rpm increases, the amount of oil circulated through the engine increases until the volume exceeds the leak rate's ability to keep up....THAT'S when the bypass becomes active, and it's only active until the pressure drops below it set point, then it closes. It will open and close very quickly, as once a large leak is created, the pressure drop is instant....

On my dry sump on my dragster, you'd think the pump would move a massive amount of oil....it does not. The pumping element isn't much different in size than a standard bbc oil pump.....I run 9 quarts in my system...7 in the tank and the other two in the engine....I have a huge oil pan and the majority of the remaining oil is there when the engine is running....I can set the system to deliver more than 100 psi, but all that does is cost me hp, and does nothing for improving oil flow.....right now it's set to 70 psi and my bearing look better now than they did when it was at 100....

As to the original question about oil on top, if you're filling valve covers with oil, it's not a pump or sump size problem, its a RETURN problem, and that needs to be addressed. In more than 30 years of this stuff, I've NEVER ONCE SEEN a pan pumped dry as so many state......And that's on street, off road, and racing engines running just about every type of pan there is, from max rpms of about 3500 to more than 8000........
I just went with what was common sense at the time, which is 10 psi/1000 rpm. So that equals 70 psi for this engine. Hot it has 60-65 psi running and 40 psi at idle. Drainback could indeed be an issue.
Last edited by Belgian1979 on Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

fabr wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 am You are more than welcome to disagree . I would continue discussing/debating/explaining but that is frowned upon.The facts have been laid out as to the very few causes of your issue. You don't understand and I'm good with that. Best wishes and Happy New Year!
My intent was not to dish you. I just pointed out that I tried to get an idea whether the engine was healthy or not. Since I had this lying around I used it. Don't think it is way off in measurement. Even if it would be double that, it would still be very good.
As said before I do not see an overpressured crank case nor strong pressure coming out of the breather hole.
I don't have a leak down tester. Did do a compression test and all cyls were within 3 psi of eachother.

So, my conclusion is that I do not need to look at worn cylinders/rings yet. I do know the heads have an issue. So these will be the first items on the list. Far easier to take off the heads and send them out for rebuilding than taking the engine out and apart to rebuild it. Not to mention the costs involved.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:47 pm I just went with what was common sense at the time, which is 10 psi/1000 rpm. So that equals 70 psi for this engine. Hot it has 60-65 psi running and 40 psi at idle. Drainback could indeed be an issue.
That old rule of thumb really doesn't apply anymore. A lot has changed since that was considered, and is pretty much no longer valid....

As an FYI, my dragster engine is a 665", all aluminum engine, aluminum rods...I turn it about 8200-8500 when really hammering it....and it's on methanol.....70 psi has been fine for it.....no way will your engine ever even remotely see the loads mine does...on an average street engine, 40-50 psi is way more than enough, and even a performance based engine such as yours likely won't ever need more than that.......
Mark Goulette
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:09 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:47 pm I just went with what was common sense at the time, which is 10 psi/1000 rpm. So that equals 70 psi for this engine. Hot it has 60-65 psi running and 40 psi at idle. Drainback could indeed be an issue.
That old rule of thumb really doesn't apply anymore. A lot has changed since that was considered, and is pretty much no longer valid....

As an FYI, my dragster engine is a 665", all aluminum engine, aluminum rods...I turn it about 8200-8500 when really hammering it....and it's on methanol.....70 psi has been fine for it.....no way will your engine ever even remotely see the loads mine does...on an average street engine, 40-50 psi is way more than enough, and even a performance based engine such as yours likely won't ever need more than that.......
Not to mention running methanol brings along its own list of concerns for the oil. Better dispersants are wanted to keep water dilution in suspension. Better types of ZDDP to ensure they hold the cylinder walls and rings against fuel wash. No VII polymers. No esters. Straight grade group III based synthetic.

Water dilution (from methanol combustion) increases aeration/foaming which can throw oil pressure off a bit. Of course the viscosity drop doesn't help. I've seen it with Pro Mods that start losing oil pressure slowly by the 6th, 7th, and 8th pass on an oil change due to the sump being upwards of 5% water.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Belgian 1979, do you run an electric fuel pump ? Mark H.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:10 pm Belgian 1979, do you run an electric fuel pump ? Mark H.
Engine has en EFI system, so yes, both a low pressure feed pump and a high pressure EFI pump.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Excuse me if i missed seeing it , what engine are you using / running ? Mark H.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

RDY4WAR wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:05 pm Not to mention running methanol brings along its own list of concerns for the oil. Better dispersants are wanted to keep water dilution in suspension. Better types of ZDDP to ensure they hold the cylinder walls and rings against fuel wash. No VII polymers. No esters. Straight grade group III based synthetic.

Water dilution (from methanol combustion) increases aeration/foaming which can throw oil pressure off a bit. Of course the viscosity drop doesn't help. I've seen it with Pro Mods that start losing oil pressure slowly by the 6th, 7th, and 8th pass on an oil change due to the sump being upwards of 5% water.

Very true, but a cleaner tune helps with this a lot. Pro Mod guys are for making every bit of power they can. I do to, but I also don't want to change my oil every couple of passes...I change it about twice a year, no issues. I also make sure I have a lot of engine/oil temp as that helps remove the moisture from the oil, and a vacuum pump. I still get contaminated oil, but it takes a while....
Mark Goulette
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I'd say pressure is still a very big concern... too little and maybe those roller lifters aren't going to see enough lube or the edm hole in the flat lifter face isn't going to do its job. The problem can be bad at low rpm as much as it can at high rpm too.
Pro question poster.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Pressure and volume are not independent variables.

The higher the pressure applied to a system, the higher the flow. This is a linear relationship (doubling the pressure doubles the volume) until a bottleneck is reached, then there is a law of diminishing returns. (think turbo boost pressure)
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:15 am Excuse me if i missed seeing it , what engine are you using / running ? Mark H.
short stroke 350, with ITB efi system. Cam is around 248-250 at .050. 10.5 CR.