Lifter rise at TDC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Lifter rise at TDC

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

They don't because they want you to degree the cam in based on using the .050" lifter rise events method.
Why?
1. you can check and know you got the camshaft you ordered.
2. You can check and know in degrees if its out of time and by how much and by how many Degrees +/- you then need to adjust it. It is your most accurate method to check and move it as required, when you are installing your camshaft in your engine.
Barring owning a 6 foot diameter cam degreeing wheel if you can get it dialed in withing ½ degree ± you did a great job.
engineman1642

Post by engineman1642 »

Erik Bolander has always answered any questions i have at Howards since moving there from Erson.is that who you talked to?
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

There are a number of digital sensors and displays out now that obviate the need for a huge degree wheel.

On Porsches, a popular one is the Stomski Racing DigiDix digital degree wheel (although you can buy a generic rotary sensor and display for less than $100). They're accurate to within a tenth of a degree. The one that I use came with a 3D printed adapter that bolts to the crankshaft at the flywheel side.

It really makes cam timing (and checking P-to-V clearance, and accurately finding TDC) a simple, no brainer task.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 am They don't because they want you to degree the cam in based on using the .050" lifter rise events method.
Why?
2. You can check and know in degrees if its out of time and by how much and by how many Degrees +/- you then need to adjust it. It is your most accurate method to check and move it as required, when you are installing your camshaft in your engine.
Barring owning a 6 foot diameter cam degreeing wheel if you can get it dialed in withing ½ degree ± you did a great job.
Sometimes, when installing a camshaft in an already built engine ... you just have to install that camshaft degreed wherever it fits because valve to piston is the determining factor.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:42 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:52 pm You need to use the .050" lifter rise events as stated on the cam card to dial in your cam. On MANY cams this is expressed as if "straight up" cam phasing and it is thus UP TO YOU to then (check and) phase the camshaft ± to get it in the right-best installed position. "advance". (or retard)
Your cam grinder can advise, how much, if you need help.
As a default most cams for the popular legacy pushrod V8's most of us deal with run best overall with a bit of "advance" dialed in. 4° to 6° is typical. But do not assume your cam was ground with this dialed in already.
If you want it installed correctly use the .050" lifter rise events method.
Oy vey :roll: can you read? I will re-state...what if the cam card was written WRONG straight from the guys who made it???? 99% of all cam cards are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think a bunch of grinders out there are hoping no one measures all the lobes either :o
-Bob
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:39 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:24 am They don't because they want you to degree the cam in based on using the .050" lifter rise events method.
Why?
Sometimes, when installing a camshaft in an already built engine ... you just have to install that camshaft degreed wherever it fits because valve to piston is the determining factor.
True true

A Big Block chev with factory dome pistons is an example.

I believe the Modern EFI Dodge Hemi is another.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

engineman1642 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:31 am Erik Bolander has always answered any questions i have at Howards since moving there from Erson.is that who you talked to?
I agree. Howards is normally great with customer service.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

I won't knock Howards. I wanted the LS3 cam ground on 113 and it's a catalog item for them so it was a pick of convenience. I e mailed them but got know where. No big deal. Just a simple ask. I like math so if there was a formula to determine this, I'd like to give it a go. It doesn't exist so were good. The C.O.M.E. video was very enlightening. I had never seen someone check a cam that way before. I think it's brilliant. If I were a cam grinder, I would furnish that info. It takes into account the cam drive. I like it. Thanks everyone for your comments. Cheers
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

"Intake lift at TDC" is how air cooled Porsche's were timed since the beginning. Cam specs are given like, "Set @ 5.3mm lift with 0.1mm valve lash." There aren't any timing marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AeQcv_JtE
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

RAS wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:13 pm I won't knock Howards. I e mailed them but got know where.

Why don't you try calling them. So simple really!