ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Re: ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

Post by 67 Nova »

I believe these WERE the Jegs heads at one time too. Are they still??? I do know Jegs no longer list the 210 heads on there website.

Maybe Jegs and ATK has a non compete or some other exclusive clause the there agreement? I know Profiler is a pretty reasonable head. They obviously make some $$$ selling to ATK and Jegs. 1 think a complete assembled ATK is $517 at this time. Could you see buying an American quality casting assembled for $400!!!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

67 Nova wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm I believe these WERE the Jegs heads at one time too. Are they still??? I do know Jegs no longer list the 210 heads on there website.

Maybe Jegs and ATK has a non compete or some other exclusive clause the there agreement? I know Profiler is a pretty reasonable head. They obviously make some $$$ selling to ATK and Jegs. 1 think a complete assembled ATK is $517 at this time. Could you see buying an American quality casting assembled for $400!!!
The Jegs heads have the non-standard raised exhaust port. I was refering to Profiler and or Jegs adopting the more market friendly head with the standard exhaust port.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

I just got the heads from ATK. They definitely look like Pro-Filer heads but the exhaust port fits a standard 1-5/8" round header gasket very well. I am pleased with them so far. Will be taking them apart this weekend to check valve guides and valve job but so far I am happy. Especially at $517.50 ea with free shipping.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

68 Malibu—what do you think about the heads now that you’ve had time to look them over?
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

65 dragster I have not had time to tear them down and check valve guides valve seats etc. Had to make some repairs on the house in my spare time. I am happy with the heads overall as they look to be made by Pro-Filer. I would much rather buy us made heads than a Chinese head that copied everyone else’s r&d.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

Finally got to tear those down. Overall pretty happy with them. Especially for the price. After watching Eric Weingartners video on the 185 Pro-Filers they are an exact match.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

Were you able to vacuum leak check the valve job?
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

65dragster wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:24 pm Were you able to vacuum leak check the valve job?
Have you done much with your cast iron heads yet??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

68maliblue wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:07 am 65 dragster I have not had time to tear them down and check valve guides valve seats etc. Had to make some repairs on the house in my spare time. I am happy with the heads overall as they look to be made by Pro-Filer. I would much rather buy us made heads than a Chinese head that copied everyone else’s r&d.
I am always curious with the raised exhaust port on the profiler,if guys run into header fitment issues?
steve c
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I bought 200 heads from ProFiler that have the standard height exhaust.

That is what I made my SFActor street CNC heads with.

As a side note, all my CNC heads in the SRH ProFiler castings, have a standard height exhaust.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

steve cowan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:07 am
68maliblue wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:07 am 65 dragster I have not had time to tear them down and check valve guides valve seats etc. Had to make some repairs on the house in my spare time. I am happy with the heads overall as they look to be made by Pro-Filer. I would much rather buy us made heads than a Chinese head that copied everyone else’s r&d.
I am always curious with the raised exhaust port on the profiler,if guys run into header fitment issues?
I bought a 1 5/8" round header for my car with the raised exhaust port Profilers and the header fitment was a NIGHTMARE.
-Now many of the folks selling them clarify that you really should go with a minimum of 1 3/4" primary headers, at least (I didn't find anyone saying that when I bought mine.).

Because of the wide D-ports I had to port my headers a LOT to get the header to not block the port on the sides. I found a "pretty close" exhaust gasket but it still required some trimming.

-The real problem with them is that although Profiler raised the exhaust ports quite a bit, they did NOT center the header bolt holes on the actual exhaust ports in the heads -they left them in the stock location, so if you just bolt on a header and don't check you'll find that the nice high velocity air at the top of the port is blocked by the header... -You get to weld in the bolt hole of your header, then drill new holes lower in the header flange to get them to match up and not hugely block the flow -at least with my 1 5/8" headers.. (It was a disaster and I'm still looking for a header that fits well.)

-I found that SPD sells a flange that perfectly matches the Profiler headers and I was hoping American Racing Headers, would make me their standard "shelf" headers but with that custom SPD flange if I bought it and shipped it to them and paid an up-charge, but they just want to sell the shelf-headers as-is.

Honestly if Profiler just would center the header bolt holes on the port, I think that would be ideal, but given that that's not a thing, get a standard height exhaust port and add a couple degrees of exhaust duration to your cam...

Adam
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

These heads have the stock location exhaust port and fit a round 1-5\8 header gasket.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

steve cowan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:06 am

Have you done much with your cast iron heads yet??
Not yet Steve. Thanks for helping me out. Ill definitely be contacting you in a few months. Have to take care of some issues on our property and then ill be able to focus on the heads.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

When I was looking at some heads- I looked closely at the GM Fastburns- they had a funky exhaust bolt location that killed it for me.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:22 pm
steve cowan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:07 am
I bought a 1 5/8" round header for my car with the raised exhaust port Profilers and the header fitment was a NIGHTMARE.
-Now many of the folks selling them clarify that you really should go with a minimum of 1 3/4" primary headers, at least (I didn't find anyone saying that when I bought mine.).

Because of the wide D-ports I had to port my headers a LOT to get the header to not block the port on the sides. I found a "pretty close" exhaust gasket but it still required some trimming.

-The real problem with them is that although Profiler raised the exhaust ports quite a bit, they did NOT center the header bolt holes on the actual exhaust ports in the heads -they left them in the stock location, so if you just bolt on a header and don't check you'll find that the nice high velocity air at the top of the port is blocked by the header... -You get to weld in the bolt hole of your header, then drill new holes lower in the header flange to get them to match up and not hugely block the flow -at least with my 1 5/8" headers.. (It was a disaster and I'm still looking for a header that fits well.)

-I found that SPD sells a flange that perfectly matches the Profiler headers and I was hoping American Racing Headers, would make me their standard "shelf" headers but with that custom SPD flange if I bought it and shipped it to them and paid an up-charge, but they just want to sell the shelf-headers as-is.

Honestly if Profiler just would center the header bolt holes on the port, I think that would be ideal, but given that that's not a thing, get a standard height exhaust port and add a couple degrees of exhaust duration to your cam...

Adam
I think the raised exhaust port has caught out a few people over the years,I lowered my engine 1" a couple of years ago to try to get crank centreline more in line by a couple of degrees to work better for pinion angle.
So then oil pan is a issue plus my 1 3/4" headers 4 into 1 that we dynoed with needed a couple of dimples in the primaries to clear front end.
My new 1 3/4" tri-y have no chance of fitting ,my 1 5/8" tri-y fit nice to exhaust port and clearance is no issue but I want to run the bigger header lol.
So much fun.
I would like to build my own set of stainless tri-y headers but I think I would lose my mind .
steve c