ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

68maliblue
ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

Post by 68maliblue »

Has anyone had any experience with these heads? From what I can tell they are Pro-filers with a stock exhaust location. They look to be a pretty good deal if they actually flow 260cfm @ .500 lift. Just wondering if there is anything to look out for on them.

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/ ... 5/10002/-1
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

Post by mag2555 »

Well there cast here, not off shore , so there assembled here also and that should be a nice plus.
If nothing else that should put them atleast one notch above for example the speedmaster brand!

If I checked with them and found that there valve stems had good chrome plating on them, then I would take a chance with running them after doing a fluid check on the valve job and checking the look of the deck for a fine near mirror finish.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

The ATK heads were Pro-Filers, but ATK changed sources and went to Dart. I have no idea whether the flow specs are still the same. Buyer beware.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

My Darts seem to work ok last year.
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

When did they switch to Dart? They are still advertising Profilers on the crate engines on their website.
65dragster

Post by 65dragster »

I would give them a call. It was about 16-18 months ago. Maybe they switched back to Pro-Filer.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

They were the Profilers with standard height exhaust ports.

They seem to have dropped all the 64cc combustion chamber heads and only offer than 70cc / 185cc version now. They used to offer the 195cc version, too but only the 70cc / 185cc version seems to be on the ATK site and Summit.

Airflow chart still is identical to the Profilers for that head.

They're on sale from ATK directly for $517.50 each right now so buy there, vs. Jegs. https://www.high-performance-engines.co ... c70185.htm

I bought the normal Profiler casting rebranded by Jegs and just replaced their springs, keepers, lock, valve guides, and guide plates and STILL saved a little bit of money vs. a bare head from Profiler, but I regret not getting the ATK casting with the standard exhaust ports because making a 1 5/8" header fit those raised ports with non-centered bolt holes was no fun (my headers were definitely PART of the problem...). -I noticed Chad Speier switched to the standard height exhaust port casting for his S-Factor CNCed street head, too. (More evidence to me that not centering those exhaust bolt holes on the port was a mistake that Profiler seems to refuse to correct.)

Adam
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

The heads pictured look like Profiler.
Jim
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

77cruiser wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm The heads pictured look like Profiler.
There was an old thread, I want to say on the Chevelle site, when they came out with them from Brandon @ ATK talking about how they worked with Profiler to get a casting for them with a regular height exhaust port and improved oil drain back.

I can't find it any more to save my life, but if someone wants to confirm that they are indeed still the Profiler head:

Brandon Simkiss
Manager ATK High Performance Engine Division
800-421-3746 (Ext 309)

Adam
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

I just ordered them from ATK. ATK did confirm that they are pro-filer with a stock exhaust port. At $517.50 ea they are a great deal for a USA made head. I 'm going to take them apart and check them out once I get them.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:21 pm
77cruiser wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:38 pm The heads pictured look like Profiler.
There was an old thread, I want to say on the Chevelle site, when they came out with them from Brandon @ ATK talking about how they worked with Profiler to get a casting for them with a regular height exhaust port and improved oil drain back.

I can't find it any more to save my life, but if someone wants to confirm that they are indeed still the Profiler head:
Adam
I remember it too.
Jim
mtrhead

Post by mtrhead »

Here is one of the big threads. Yes the exhaust port bolt hole relationship talk is in here too

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49461

BTW: I bought a set after lots of problems with my standard profilers. Oil and header fitment
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

77cruiser wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:21 pm

Adam
I remember it too.
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/would ... st-8236977
Jim
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

68maliblue wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:00 pm I just ordered them from ATK. ATK did confirm that they are pro-filer with a stock exhaust port. At $517.50 ea they are a great deal for a USA made head. I 'm going to take them apart and check them out once I get them.
Here is my PM with Profiler rep on another forum:

I sent them:
"Do you guys have any of the SBc 210 castings that you do for ATK that are going to ATK? I have been waiting for them to get these casting in.

Thanks John"

There reply:
"We haven't done heads for them for about 3 years now. I'm not sure who ended up becoming their supplier."

So either you have a left-over casting, or ATK lied or the guy you talked to is not up-to-speed on the supplier!

A certain head porter posted this on another site as well:

"New cylinder head. Dedicated Street head. SBC 220cc. 2.080/1.600, ProFiler casting. Standard height exhaust port. ProFiler had 100 castings like this so I bought them all. They will make me more if I want them."
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

With the standard location exhaust port and the extra bit of machining to correct the oil drain back issue these seemed to be a very desireable ,marketable cylinder head. Wonder what has happened.. Why is Profiler not adopting this line to its own brand? Or Jegs not adopting it as a house brand label cylinder head.
The non- standard exhaust port on the Profiler All American 23° SBC heads is a big marketing snaffuu.
Wonder what happened to the ATK deal...