Moderator: Team

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: ATK Aluminum SBC Cylinder Heads

Post by 77cruiser »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:22 pm
steve cowan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:07 am
68maliblue wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:07 am 65 dragster I have not had time to tear them down and check valve guides valve seats etc. Had to make some repairs on the house in my spare time. I am happy with the heads overall as they look to be made by Pro-Filer. I would much rather buy us made heads than a Chinese head that copied everyone else’s r&d.
I am always curious with the raised exhaust port on the profiler,if guys run into header fitment issues?
I bought a 1 5/8" round header for my car with the raised exhaust port Profilers and the header fitment was a NIGHTMARE.
-Now many of the folks selling them clarify that you really should go with a minimum of 1 3/4" primary headers, at least (I didn't find anyone saying that when I bought mine.).

Because of the wide D-ports I had to port my headers a LOT to get the header to not block the port on the sides. I found a "pretty close" exhaust gasket but it still required some trimming.

-The real problem with them is that although Profiler raised the exhaust ports quite a bit, they did NOT center the header bolt holes on the actual exhaust ports in the heads -they left them in the stock location, so if you just bolt on a header and don't check you'll find that the nice high velocity air at the top of the port is blocked by the header... -You get to weld in the bolt hole of your header, then drill new holes lower in the header flange to get them to match up and not hugely block the flow -at least with my 1 5/8" headers.. (It was a disaster and I'm still looking for a header that fits well.)

-I found that SPD sells a flange that perfectly matches the Profiler headers and I was hoping American Racing Headers, would make me their standard "shelf" headers but with that custom SPD flange if I bought it and shipped it to them and paid an up-charge, but they just want to sell the shelf-headers as-is.

Honestly if Profiler just would center the header bolt holes on the port, I think that would be ideal, but given that that's not a thing, get a standard height exhaust port and add a couple degrees of exhaust duration to your cam...

Adam
That was the reason I ended up making my own set too.
What flanges did you get from SPD? I used the ones to fit Fastburns, but they were off just a bit. They could have made me a custom pair for 3X the price though.
Jim
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:09 pm The Jegs heads have the non-standard raised exhaust port. I was refering to Profiler and or Jegs adopting the more market friendly head with the standard exhaust port.
I have the Jegs head version of the Profiler 195cc; they also have the raised exhaust port.

The Profiler flow numbers and Jeg's flow numbers for their 195cc heads are identical including on the exhaust side. The standard height version flows less.
https://www.profilerperformance.com/176 ... heads.html
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/514022/10002/-1

Jegs doesn't seem to offer the 185cc head any more and swapped to.... some other head.

I replaced the Jegs rocker studs, springs, seats, retainers, keepers, and valve guides and still came out a little bit ahead during a Christmas sale vs. a bare head. There was some core shift and like a dumb newbie I smoothed the abrupt line at the end of the valve job in the bowl with a cartridge roll and made it super smooth.

Adam
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

77cruiser wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:44 am
steve cowan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:07 am
I am always curious with the raised exhaust port on the profiler,if guys run into header fitment issues?
I bought a 1 5/8" round header for my car with the raised exhaust port Profilers and the header fitment was a NIGHTMARE.
-Now many of the folks selling them clarify that you really should go with a minimum of 1 3/4" primary headers, at least (I didn't find anyone saying that when I bought mine.).

Because of the wide D-ports I had to port my headers a LOT to get the header to not block the port on the sides. I found a "pretty close" exhaust gasket but it still required some trimming.

-The real problem with them is that although Profiler raised the exhaust ports quite a bit, they did NOT center the header bolt holes on the actual exhaust ports in the heads -they left them in the stock location, so if you just bolt on a header and don't check you'll find that the nice high velocity air at the top of the port is blocked by the header... -You get to weld in the bolt hole of your header, then drill new holes lower in the header flange to get them to match up and not hugely block the flow -at least with my 1 5/8" headers.. (It was a disaster and I'm still looking for a header that fits well.)

-I found that SPD sells a flange that perfectly matches the Profiler headers and I was hoping American Racing Headers, would make me their standard "shelf" headers but with that custom SPD flange if I bought it and shipped it to them and paid an up-charge, but they just want to sell the shelf-headers as-is.

Honestly if Profiler just would center the header bolt holes on the port, I think that would be ideal, but given that that's not a thing, get a standard height exhaust port and add a couple degrees of exhaust duration to your cam...

Adam
What flanges did you get from SPD? I used the ones to fit Fastburns, but they were off just a bit. They could have made me a custom pair for 3X the price though.

I didn't order the flanges, I found that the Felpro 1406 designed for the Brodix Track1 fit really well with minimal trimming, so my plan was to order the C80033 flange for the Brodix heads. A guy I know knows Mike @ American Racing Headers and said "I'm SURE Mike would make you a shelf header with a customer-provided flange, just give him a call." -I probably should NOT have called just before their big July 4th weekend sale while they had a ton of backed up orders that needed to get taken care of, but... it was made clear that that was NOT actually an option... so I didn't order the SPD flange.

The Felpro 1406 gasket is 1.530" high z 1.630" wide, from what I remember I just had to elongate the bolt hole to scoot it up a tiny bit, and trim the center area between the two center exhaust ports to make the gasket a bit thinner there.

A great picture of the 1406 on the Profiler raised exhausts (not mine), I didn't take a picture of mine until after trimming the gasket.

Adam
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:28 pm
77cruiser wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:44 am

Adam

I didn't order the flanges, I found that the Felpro 1406 designed for the Brodix Track1 fit really well with minimal trimming, so my plan was to order the C80033 flange for the Brodix heads. A guy I know knows Mike @ American Racing Headers and said "I'm SURE Mike would make you a shelf header with a customer-provided flange, just give him a call." -I probably should NOT have called just before their big July 4th weekend sale while they had a ton of backed up orders that needed to get taken care of, but... it was made clear that that was NOT actually an option... so I didn't order the SPD flange.

The Felpro 1406 gasket is 1.530" high z 1.630" wide, from what I remember I just had to elongate the bolt hole to scoot it up a tiny bit, and trim the center area between the two center exhaust ports to make the gasket a bit thinner there.

A great picture of the 1406 on the Profiler raised exhausts (not mine), I didn't take a picture of mine until after trimming the gasket.

Adam
When i did mine I sent a rubbing (I think that's what it's called) to SPD they said the fast burn was nearly perfect. I thin I had to elongate the holes just a bit.
Jim