GM CT350: Another Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: GM CT350: Another Question

Post by 1980RS »

I have a L-31 Vortec engine in my street car and except for the cam I used this engine with the LT4 Hot cam will pull 6500 rpm all day, it pulls all the way up there not just making RPM to say it can go that high. The cam in the CT 350 is pretty mild.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

With either the CT350 or the L31, or a rebuild of my current 350 shortblock, any of them would get the new cam spec and my cylinder heads.

What I like about the shortblock I have now, and just disassembled yesterday for an inspection (it needs a lot of work) is the factory forged crank (like the L31 1053 version) and Elgin rods. What I don't like about it is the mileage. There's about 50 000 miles total on those rotating parts with one refresh about halfway through. That's a con in the pros and cons list. I'm looking at magnafluxing the crank and rods as well as an overbore, turning the crank to 20 under (it's 10/10 now) and whatever else it may need. It's been decked and line bored so that should still be square.

Any GM crate engine is going to be new. That's in the pro column.
Kevin
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

suggest do Not turn crank any further than is necessary to clean / straighten.
FYI ... in addition to 0.010" ... 0.011" available as well (but Not 0.012", 0.013" etc).
It's commonplace to mix n match a 0.010" shell w/ a 0.011" shell (to yield 0.0105").

best advice; make a solid plan, stick to it & execute.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's planning.
Execution may suffer a little.

That said, unfortunately this engine has ingested a lot of metal from a gouged cam lobe and rounded rollers on a set of lifters. It lost a link bar and you can guess the rest. Possibly hundreds of miles driven before I pulled the intake and saw the disaster.
The crank journals are scratched to the point where I think polishing won't be enough. The bearings have also suffered but they're a consumable anyway.
I've yet to measure everything.
It'll be 40 over for the cylinders judging by the lack of cross hatching on the thrust side. No ridge though. It should be good for the next overbore but I've yet to sonic check the block. Also in the plan.
At least I have plenty of tools. Mikes, bore gauges, dials, sonic tester, etc. But I'll need a new machine shop to do the work. That's yet to be determined.
But it's part of the plan!
Kevin