Intake manifold restoration work.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Intake manifold restoration work.

Post by Bill Chase »

Have a sbc intake that has substantial galvanic corrosion of the recessed lip and gasket surface of the thermostat mounting area. Obviously needs cleaned, welded and re-machined. Figure this sub forum gets the most traffic so posted here

My guy can't do it for at least another month, hoping someone here could get me a decent turn around and not want my left testicle to repair it. Have a good picture I can email you if you can get it done within the next few weeks, guessing a flat rate one hour of weld and 1-1.5 hour to re-machine the sealing surfaces. Shoot me a pm if you are available and interested please.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Intake manifold restoration work.

Post by Bill Chase »

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Wilson Manifolds does some beautiful work.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

RevTheory wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am Wilson Manifolds does some beautiful work.
they do, but OP said he didnt want to give his left testicle for it. :lol:
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

I have restored many factory cast intakes with thermostat housings that were very bad. I did this for corvette restorers and you know how picky they are. PM me with photos and I will determine if I am interested in fixing it and how much it will cost.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

That's ugly.

Why do you need to weld it? Can't you just machine it down a little lower? I doubt anyone would notice if the thermostat sits 1/8 inch lower.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

strokersix wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm That's ugly. Why do you need to weld it? Can't you just machine it down a little lower? I doubt anyone would notice if the thermostat sits 1/8 inch lower.
X2 - back in the bad old days, I've shadetreed many of those by flattening with a careful file and recutting the recess with a hole saw in a drill press. To recut the recess, the hole saw needs to be piloted. I just cut a wooden plug with a hole saw and then sanded the outside to be a slip fit in the hole. This pilots the hole saw; run it on the slowest DP speed.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Epoxy + sanding.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:06 pm Epoxy + sanding.
Heck that all I do with aluminum intake where nothing cannot be seen, works great with the right epoxy.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

I looked at the FB page. An easy repair with an automatic boring head on a milling machine, no welding needed.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

HDBD wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:13 pm I looked at the FB page. An easy repair with an automatic boring head on a milling machine, no welding needed.
Sent you a message through the board here.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

strokersix wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm That's ugly.

Why do you need to weld it? Can't you just machine it down a little lower? I doubt anyone would notice if the thermostat sits 1/8 inch lower.
Pretty sure the thermostat would bottom out if you were to take a deep enough cut to clean it up. Guess I could do that and make a spacer, use two gaskets. Speculation at this point, purchased last week and it gets delivered today, however I am working out of town until Saturday night. So I figured present it as worst case scenario.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Bill Chase wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:32 amPretty sure the thermostat would bottom out if you were to take a deep enough cut to clean it up.
Do you want the intake water outlet mounting surface clean, pretty and shiny new, or do you just want the water outlet housing to seal against the intake so there are no leaks?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Fixing a different problem, but I recently made 3/8 plate to hold the thermostat and installed it between manifold and water neck.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:39 pm
Bill Chase wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:32 amPretty sure the thermostat would bottom out if you were to take a deep enough cut to clean it up.
Do you want the intake water outlet mounting surface clean, pretty and shiny new, or do you just want the water outlet housing to seal against the intake so there are no leaks?
It's a polished First performance tpi intake. Don't care if there is weld showing, or the repair is not polished to match. However, a bunch of epoxy would look like crappola.

Here's a link to the affected area and others of the entire intake. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0505470240