Valve springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Valve springs

Post by 408 Nova »

How do you know how much spring you need?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Valve springs

Post by mag2555 »

My crystal Ball is at the shop getting a tune up and oil change, so I need to ask what kind of Cam are you running, lol!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If the information isn't on the cam card or in the catalog I either call or e-mail the cam manufacturer and ask them. I don't like guessing or going by internet hearsay.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

If it’s a compcam that normally give you the spring part number for the camshaft you order,mine gave me two spring options and I just looked up the number in there spring catalog and told me the spring height and pressures at that from top to bottom.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Ben Herheim at Howards, gave me this chart for their SB roller cams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm Ben Herheim at Howards, gave me this chart for their SB roller cams.
Is that chart representing seat load ?
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

408 Nova wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm How do you know how much spring you need?
My opinion is cam company as a starting point but it all depends-
Application
If you change rocker ratio
Rpm
Weight of components etc
Sometimes it is trial and error and it really is a loaded question.
I think having more spring is safer than not enough.
steve c
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

steve cowan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:45 pm
frnkeore wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm Ben Herheim at Howards, gave me this chart for their SB roller cams.
Is that chart representing seat load ?
No, it all open pressure. I don't know why it has .600 close at the same pressure but, it is just as it was sent to me, when I inquired about spring pressure, when ordering a SBF cam.

I also inquired on this forum, regarding spring pressures for the SBF I was building. There is a program that will predict pressure. A member on this forum offered to run it for me, and I got the results. It was 2 or 3 years ago and I'm sad to say, I've forgotten who it was but was very greatful to him. but, although it included most perimeters, it was put down by many, saying it didn't have enough info. But, it did have more info than most anyone gets, when they are giving recommendations on this forum. Here is the form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

There are enough guys here to guess pretty good if you have some cam specs, type of engine, max rpm , and weight of some of they key valvetrain parts.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Asking for sb2.2 heads with 2.18/1.60 titanium valves, .937 link bar lifters, solid roller cam with 55 mm bearing journals, drag race only, no more than 9,000 rpm.

.430 or so lobe with 2.10/2.00 I/E rockers.

I haven't ran the engine yet, and just want to make sure I don't have too much spring on the heads consistent with reliability of the valvetrain and the ability to follow the lobes.

The heads have PAC 1356's on them. 300 lbs on the seat at 2.1" installed height, and 1002 lbs at 1.2".
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I can't offer a spring package for your application but I helped a friend for a few years in B/GAS AUTOMATIC superstock in Australia
358ci pro stock truck engines.
SB2 heads,jesel keyway lifters 9500rpm etc.
Between rounds we would check springs
420lb seat intake - 400lb seat exhaust
Not saying you need this but just some information.
steve c
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

steve cowan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:28 pm I can't offer a spring package for your application but I helped a friend for a few years in B/GAS AUTOMATIC superstock in Australia
358ci pro stock truck engines.
SB2 heads,jesel keyway lifters 9500rpm etc.
Between rounds we would check springs
420lb seat intake - 400lb seat exhaust
Not saying you need this but just some information.
Good information. Thanks!
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Are you going to dyno the engine or go straight to the car with it?
If you are going to to try and run as little spring as you can I would get it on the dyno. There will be some signs if the valve train is getting unhappy. Shape of the power curve, fuel flow, A/F will start showing signs, so it can be rectified quickly.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Turbobuick6

Post by Turbobuick6 »

408 Nova wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:02 am Asking for sb2.2 heads with 2.18/1.60 titanium valves, .937 link bar lifters, solid roller cam with 55 mm bearing journals, drag race only, no more than 9,000 rpm.

.430 or so lobe with 2.10/2.00 I/E rockers.

I haven't ran the engine yet, and just want to make sure I don't have too much spring on the heads consistent with reliability of the valvetrain and the ability to follow the lobes.

The heads have PAC 1356's on them. 300 lbs on the seat at 2.1" installed height, and 1002 lbs at 1.2".
I would say you have a good spring on your heads for your combo.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Mummert wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 am Are you going to dyno the engine or go straight to the car with it?
If you are going to to try and run as little spring as you can I would get it on the dyno. There will be some signs if the valve train is getting unhappy. Shape of the power curve, fuel flow, A/F will start showing signs, so it can be rectified quickly.
Yessir, gonna throw it on the dyno.