ICON 9929 Piston Specs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: ICON 9929 Piston Specs

Post by skinny z »

I think I owe to this build to measure everything.
Not that's it's something special. More for my own curiousity.
Having a quick look over the chamber's and I'll bet, that because of the relief cut that was made years ago, there's some variance between cylinders.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

steve cowan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm Kevin,
Do they offer a thinner ring pack?
That question has morphed into a quest to find these below.

rustbucket79 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 am Wiseco Pro Tru Street PTS503A4 looks like a 1.560” CH. perhaps your local machine shop is a dealer and can get you a good price on a set.They come with rings.
Or a 1/16, 3/16ths Speed Pro which looks to be an updated version of the slugs I have now.

Screenshot_20220126-064427.png

Screenshot_20220126-064513.png

At this point I think it'll come down to what's available.
The Speed Pro is a heavy piston but it matches what the crank was balanced for.
The Wiseco is lighter so that'll add a rebalance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Wait on the Wiseco’s, that’s criminal what FM charges for those pistons considering you still have to buy rings.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Yeah. That's something I've considered.
The Wisecos bring a rebalance with them though.
I'll be at the shop (I hope) tomorrow and will figure out what the plan is.
Personally, I'd like the Wisecos both for the forging and the lighter weight.
Kevin
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I have stuff on order for months from USA ,pushrods, valves,TFS cylinder heads, like I said earlier I had shelf pistons on order for 6 months.
Whatever you choose to do you need to pull the trigger now as this is not going to get better anytime soon :roll:
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

There is a new player in the piston industry DSS Racing. They do custom pistons and very cost effective and quick.
You may want to call them and send them a custom piston sheet with your needs for a cost.

I have used them several times and quality and accuracy is spot on and turn around was about 2-3 weeks to my door for the sets I have ordered from them. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm I have stuff on order for months from USA ,pushrods, valves,TFS cylinder heads, like I said earlier I had shelf pistons on order for 6 months.
Whatever you choose to do you need to pull the trigger now as this is not going to get better anytime soon :roll:
This is where I hope my engine guy has reliable sources. Much of the decision making will be made at our meeting tomorrow. The block is on it's way. (Holy Hannah it's about time isn't it?)
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:45 pm There is a new player in the piston industry DSS Racing. They do custom pistons and very cost effective and quick.
You may want to call them and send them a custom piston sheet with your needs for a cost.

I have used them several times and quality and accuracy is spot on and turn around was about 2-3 weeks to my door for the sets I have ordered from them. =D>
Hey Dave.
Thanks for chiming in.
DSS comes up on my searches and has a presence at Summit. How is your connection to them?
My spec would be a 40 over, 5.7 rod, 3.48 stroke, 1.560" compression height, flat top (5 cc), thin ring pack, 4032 forging.

DSS.jpg

DSS 2.jpg

Not cheap though and it's plus rings. No weight indicated.
And there's that "special ordered" thing again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

ProPower engines wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:45 pm There is a new player in the piston industry DSS Racing. They do custom pistons and very cost effective and quick.

We had them build a set of flat tops for a 307 Chev build to replace junky silvolite 4vr cast pistons. Decent stuff. We’ve also used their LS pistons and IIRC a set of Buick 350 pistons.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm I have stuff on order for months from USA ,pushrods, valves,TFS cylinder heads, like I said earlier I had shelf pistons on order for 6 months.
Further to that Steve, is the reason why the somewhat maligned Speed Pro on still on the list.
On the pro side, they match up weight wide. Plus thinner rings than what they replace. Con? Heavy.
But still, what I've put these heavy hypereutectic pistons through, as did their previous life in another hard driven streeter, I've zero failures to report. Which is surprising really.
Quickest way back into the game, and least expensive as it turns out, is the Speed Pro.
Kevin
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

skinny z wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:28 pm
Further to that Steve, is the reason why the somewhat maligned Speed Pro on still on the list.
On the pro side, they match up weight wide. Plus thinner rings than what they replace. Con? Heavy.
But still, what I've put these heavy hyper-eutectic pistons through, as did their previous life in another hard driven streeter, I've zero failures to report. Which is surprising really.
Quickest way back into the game, and least expensive as it turns out, is the Speed Pro.
Just thought I would ad that Total Seal has a narrow ring set available to be used in the wider grooves as well.
They are a gapless top ring and having used them they are a nice upgrade when looking at a piston that has a wider ring groove. Not to mention you can get the wider radial section for faster ring excitement and sealing.
Seems most basic ring manufactures offer the top ring in steel but the radial depth is about .080"-.100" narrower then the 2nd ring which can create issues with ring flutter and loss of seal.
You would need to confirm the groove depths before ordering just to save a issue with the pistons diamentions differing from the ring set..
I realize you are on a super tight budget and these rings are more then a basic stock replacement ring set.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am
But still, what I've put these heavy hyper-eutectic pistons through, as did their previous life in another hard driven streeter, I've zero failures to report. Which is surprising really.
Just thought I would ad that Total Seal has a narrow ring set available to be used in the wider grooves as well.
They are a gapless top ring and having used them they are a nice upgrade when looking at a piston that has a wider ring groove. Not to mention you can get the wider radial section for faster ring excitement and sealing.
Seems most basic ring manufactures offer the top ring in steel but the radial depth is about .080"-.100" narrower then the 2nd ring which can create issues with ring flutter and loss of seal.
You would need to confirm the groove depths before ordering just to save a issue with the pistons diamentions differing from the ring set..
I realize you are on a super tight budget and these rings are more then a basic stock replacement ring set.
Now there's an interesting option. I'll discuss that with the shop later today. Apparently, they have a lead of a tic for tac replacement piston but, and this is where this started, has a 5/64th's ring. I'll throw that Total Seal idea out there and see what comes of it.

Thing is, and this was from other conversations, is that the replacement piston is heavy at 700+ with pin. Just like what's in there now and the notion is that an upgrade to a lighter piston, like the Wiseco, wouldn't be a bad move. Then again, as I said, I've beat the hell out of these hypereutectics for tens of thousands of miles without incident.

As for a tight budget, not so much really. But I don't want to spend where it isn't necessary.
Case in point is a rebalance for the piston we end up with. Looks like $750 (CDN) for any replacement (as spec'd) whether it's the forged Wisecos or the cast Speed Pro. Or the DSS for that matter. Two come with added machining costs, the other should be a straightforward swap.
Save a little here, spend a little there. Probably more spend down the road than save up front.

Here's a question. Scenario A: Replace with equal weight, which is heavy but no rebalance or scenario B: Go for the work involved with a lighter piston. Might be 100-150 grams in the difference.
Where's the benefit if I'm not taking this engine to the extremes? The target is peak HP RPM at or less than 6000. That's not a lot of revs by SBC standards and in a drag racing context, not a lot of time at peak. (Might sneak a road race in there though).
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

rustbucket79 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 pm Wait on the Wiseco’s, that’s criminal what FM charges for those pistons considering you still have to buy rings.
I'm leaning that way for more than that reason but that is a valid point.
Kevin
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

skinny z wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:04 pm
ProPower engines wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am

Now there's an interesting option. I'll discuss that with the shop later today. Apparently, they have a lead of a tic for tac replacement piston but, and this is where this started, has a 5/64th's ring. I'll throw that Total Seal idea out there and see what comes of it.

Thing is, and this was from other conversations, is that the replacement piston is heavy at 700+ with pin. Just like what's in there now and the notion is that an upgrade to a lighter piston, like the Wiseco, wouldn't be a bad move. Then again, as I said, I've beat the hell out of these hypereutectics for tens of thousands of miles without incident.

As for a tight budget, not so much really. But I don't want to spend where it isn't necessary.
Case in point is a rebalance for the piston we end up with. Looks like $750 (CDN) for any replacement (as spec'd) whether it's the forged Wisecos or the cast Speed Pro. Or the DSS for that matter. Two come with added machining costs, the other should be a straightforward swap.
Save a little here, spend a little there. Probably more spend down the road than save up front.

Here's a question. Scenario A: Replace with equal weight, which is heavy but no rebalance or scenario B: Go for the work involved with a lighter piston. Might be 100-150 grams in the difference.
Where's the benefit if I'm not taking this engine to the extremes? The target is peak HP RPM at or less than 6000. That's not a lot of revs by SBC standards and in a drag racing context, not a lot of time at peak. (Might sneak a road race in there though).
If the budget is not so tight… Is a stroker crank with matched pistons and rods available for quick delivery?
That’s what my machinist convinced me to do on my small ford. Mike Jones reground my cam to suit my smallish heads… I went with a smaller nitrous shot, that rarely gets used… Overall very pleased…

Don’t forget… winter won’t last forever…it will be tough standing on the sideline watching…with a few more dollars in your pocket…if your parts don’t arrive in time. Just a thought.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

If you go with the Wiseco pistons do your self a favor and get them without rings.
If I remembers correctly they come with a 1.2 mm 1-2 ring and 3mm-4mm oil ring.
The top ring is a nitrided steel and the rings that come with the pistons are a narrower radial depth then required.
They were made by Hastings for Wiseco prior to the corporate but out by RWB group. I do not know if they still supply them or not but I had issues with their new rings and switched to Total Seal to solve the issue. And if you chat with Keith and the boys at TS they will advise you the same thing with the radial depth issue.
Personally I would go with the DDS piston option. They are about the same lead time and offer more choices like coated skirts lateral gas ports etc at much more competitive prices. Being a RWB/Wiseco dealer out here on the west coast I have been using the DSS stuff in their place because of time and options.