Ring Pack Thickness: Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Ring Pack Thickness: Question

Post by skinny z »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 am Just throwing this out there but would it make any sense to have +.030, in-stock pistons abradable coated and forgo the +.040 deal all together?
Looking at the bores and I'd say it's going to take the full .005" per side to clean up. Coatings are great although I'm not sure if this would even be a possibility. Admittedly, it's something I've never looked in to.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

FTR:

IMG_20220115_114849607.jpg
IMG_20220115_114914613.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

skinny z wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 pm
rfoll wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm $420.99 for a hyper piston?
Which?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-h100cp40
So much to do, so little time...
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

$529 CDN funds.
Seems having a thin ring puts a premium on a Sealed Power piston.
And not in stock ...
Kevin
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

fabr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:45 pm
rfoll wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 pm How much money are you willing to spend to get a few MPG and HP. How long at your current driving habits will it take to recoup your expenditures. $648.99 for pistons on a street car? Plus about $150 or more fore rings?
How much less performance/longevity are you willing to settle for may be a different way to look at it.
I would surely like to see more than the 5 hp quoted elsewhere in this discussion. We are after all talking about a 350 with a factory cast crank. One of the things no one has mentioned is the likelihood of finding enough room for the overbore to use forged pistons. They tend to be .002"-.003" smaller in diameter.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Factory forged crank.

As for piston clearance, anything I'm looking at is a 4032 alloy. Low expansion as it's described when compared to the 2618.
15% in the difference according to JE.
Last edited by skinny z on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

skinny z wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 am
RevTheory wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 am Just throwing this out there but would it make any sense to have +.030, in-stock pistons abradable coated and forgo the +.040 deal all together?
Looking at the bores and I'd say it's going to take the full .005" per side to clean up. Coatings are great although I'm not sure if this would even be a possibility. Admittedly, it's something I've never looked in to.
I thought about the .030 piston and a coating but I’m not sure if .005 per side makes a difference on ring seal.

Line2Line coatings has an abradable coating that will go up to .010 per side (.020 total) that is designed to do what we are discussing. It is designed to get the piston to run at zero clearance. I’m considering sending my pistons out just because the idea makes sense in my head.

I would call Line2Line and explain to them what you are doing and ask if that has potential.

I’m know for sure I’m going to have my oil pump coated.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

While I can see the merit in coatings in general seeing as we do our own in house zinc and manganese phosphating, I can't see these bores being round enough for anything other than the next oversize.
Kevin
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

skinny z wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am While I can see the merit in coatings in general seeing as we do our own in house zinc and manganese phosphating, I can't see these bores being round enough for anything other than the next oversize.
Have you measured the bores?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

That'll be this week.
But experience tells me they're toast.
The hope is that there's enough material to go only to .040" over. Might be worse. More than a couple of bores are deeply scratched.
Kevin
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

skinny z wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:36 am Factory forged crank.

As for piston clearance, anything I'm looking at is a 4032 alloy. Low expansion as it's described when compared to the 2618.
15% in the difference according to JE.
They are still smaller. You won't know how much until you have them in your hands. Curiously, the later model GM pistons such as the Vortec motor uses are .001" smaller than the previous ugly dished pistons.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Any and all measuring I do is going to be duplicated by the shop. Which is how it should be. I'm measuring more for knowing than anything else. I'm curious as to how wiped out these bores really are.
IIRC, that engine had a couple of intense overheating moments when the temp sensor in the cylinder head crapped out and disabled my fans.
There's that and also the few times I was forced to start it at freezing temps. Lots of fuel wash in those few minutes it takes to warm up and idle.
Anyway, I'll soon know but my best educated guess is 40 over.

But further to this thread, and all of the replies and direction, it will be thin ring pack. Seems a no brainer.
The rest has yet to shake out.
Kevin
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

[/quote]
I would surely like to see more than the 5 hp quoted elsewhere in this discussion. We are after all talking about a 350 with a factory cast crank. One of the things no one has mentioned is the likelihood of finding enough room for the overbore to use forged pistons. They tend to be .002"-.003" smaller in diameter.
[/quote]

A few decades back I think off the shelf pistons were made for the nominal bore, and had the clearance built in.
Thus the bore needed to be 4.040" for the various flavors of cast or forged pistons.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

That was my recollection as well.
Fast forward a few decades to today and I can't say for certain how it all measures up.
Kevin
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Piston's ring lands, not the deck.
Ring shim, like on oil rings to bridge a high pin bore or repair worn & re-machined lands, not a stamped steel single piece gasket some call a shim.