Yet More SB2.2 Cooling Questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
Yet More SB2.2 Cooling Questions

Post by fabr »

1-When blocking off front of block water entry to re-route to side of block,what is the preferred method of blocking? Plug the block or pump? Simple shim between? Yes,I have correct pump to do this.

2-Am I correct that the head gasket is the dividing point between slightly higher pressure/block side and return/slightly lower pressure head side of the cooling system and that is why we can push water into the port above the head gasket/between the center ex ports? I've been trying to wrap my head around that. Did I finally have an epiphany ? :lol: I know you can definitely pull water from that port but see the wisdom of pushing cooler water in. Heads are Hendricks and also Childress and have ports drilled between/by exhaust valves to vent steam and aid cooling that area.

Thanks for any insight you guys have on this.
fabr
Expert
Expert
Re: Yet More SB2.2 Cooling Questions

Post by fabr »

No opinions? :?:
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

How is your pump correct to do that? Mind sharing a pic?
Will you be using the pump location on the block just to hold the pump?
Shim is probably fine, but I would try to use a front motor plate, just skipping the step of drilling the water passage in it. Shim the crank pulley as needed if its belt driven.

Yeah, the head gasket distributes the coolant flow to the underside of the head, just by looking at majority of them, most of the csa is underneath the center exhaust ports on the SBC.
If you wont use the front entry of the pump and only the center of the side of the block, some of the coolant passages in the gasket might need some rethinking, but the passages are as variable as the there are manufacturers of head gaskets.

Will you be using a collector to gather the return from the four corners of the two heads?

Water flows the passage of least resistance, be like water my friend.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Here is a link with pics to one that is specifically made for SBC side of block water entry such as nascar used with the SB2.2 engines. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165240604563 I had to have one that is reverse rotation and it is not made from a casting with the traditional front of block outlets blocked like the one in the link. Otherwise it is identical. Front engine mount plate is not an option.

I have been running this combination for a year now in an off road pre-runner utilizing both front and side water inlets to block and pulling water from between the center exhaust ports. I'm just thinking I may be able to lower water temps a bit by doing just side of block water inlets and pushing water in at the center exhaust ports in head as nascar normally did.

Sb2.2s use a valley cover/water manifold if you will that returns water from front and rear of both heads through a passage connecting the front and rear head outlets.

#2 question was asking if the water pressure above the head gasket is slightly lower than below the head gasket. I can only see that as being the case . If it is not then there would be no way for water to be introduced above the head gasket hence the belief of many that you can only pull water from that port. I'm pretty sure WarpSpeed knows what nascar did but I was having a hard time seeing it as possible until it dawned on me that the head gasket must be acting as a small restriction in the cooling system and it is that restriction that causes a slight pressure drop above the head gasket as compared to under the gasket.

I probably made that clear as mud. I'll attempt to clarify. Any cooling system has a high pressure side and a lower pressure side.The higher pressure side is between the water pump outlet and the head gasket. Anything above the head gasket is the lower pressure side. I think I have it right-finally.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

I just dressed the holes and used core plugs. Don’t recall the exact size, but we’re readily available. Thin coat Jb weld on the backside to prevent rusting and a little on the sealing surface. They can’t come out as the motor plate holds them in too.

You can see them in this pic

[attachment=0]18EBD060-59FD-4B04-953E-5206A5D9E37D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.