!970's Pro-Stock Camshaft Spec.'s

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: !970's Pro-Stock Camshaft Spec.'s

Post by swampbuggy »

I talked in my opening Post about how mean and nasty those early Pro-Stock Engines sounded Pre Green Light. At about 17 years old i took a Panasonic battery powered cassette recorder and recorded a bunch of Engine sounds, including Nitro Funny and Top-Fuel cars. I am gonna see if i can find that 50 year old Cassette, LOL . If my memory serves me correctly, Pro-Stock was around 9.80 and the Nitro stuff was about 6.20, help me Walter, Adger ? Mark H. :)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

swampbuggy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:26 pm I talked in my opening Post about how mean and nasty those early Pro-Stock Engines sounded Pre Green Light. At about 17 years old i took a Panasonic battery powered cassette recorder and recorded a bunch of Engine sounds, including Nitro Funny and Top-Fuel cars. I am gonna see if i can find that 50 year old Cassette, LOL . If my memory serves me correctly, Pro-Stock was around 9.80 and the Nitro stuff was about 6.20, help me Walter, Adger ? Mark H. :)
You're about right on those ET's for the early 70's.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

The 70's is before my time.
By the time we got into designing Pro-Stock cams, it was the mid 80's.
At that time, we were running roller cams with .841" lift, and 296@.050".
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 am
swampbuggy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:26 pm I talked in my opening Post about how mean and nasty those early Pro-Stock Engines sounded Pre Green Light. At about 17 years old i took a Panasonic battery powered cassette recorder and recorded a bunch of Engine sounds, including Nitro Funny and Top-Fuel cars. I am gonna see if i can find that 50 year old Cassette, LOL . If my memory serves me correctly, Pro-Stock was around 9.80 and the Nitro stuff was about 6.20, help me Walter, Adger ? Mark H. :)
You're about right on those ET's for the early 70's.
Yes, in '74 I was at OCIR (CA), jetting a Hilborn FI on my avatar car. I had just made a run and was at the end of the track, when two Pro Stock car came up the track. Apparently, the car in the outside lane, broke his steering. He hit the outside guard rail, then rolled threw the lights, still in the 10 sec braket!!
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

It's hard for me to really get the picture in my head that today my 422 flat top piston, single 4150 carb, powerglide, sbc 72 camaro is as fast as those 1st gen tunnel rammed,4 speed big block Pro stock cars that I went to see at a match race in the early 70's.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thanks Mike for your input, do you remember what the LSA / Lobe Separation Angle was then ? Mark H.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

6.50camaro wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:33 pm It's hard for me to really get the picture in my head that today my 422 flat top piston, single 4150 carb, powerglide, sbc 72 camaro is as fast as those 1st gen tunnel rammed,4 speed big block Pro stock cars that I went to see at a match race in the early 70's.
Probably a lot of unsuspecting street cars too.
Jim
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm Thanks Mike for your input, do you remember what the LSA / Lobe Separation Angle was then ? Mark H.

In the Pawuk and Yates cars which had Maskin's "Big Chief" Olds heads, they were 114 and 115 Cam Motion rollers.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Hey Walter, was the Big Chief spread port Head that you were referring to an improvement over the Chevrolet / GM Symmetrical Port Head that was introduced way back when ? I have often wondered about this ? Thanks, Mark H.....Sunny Central Florida resident.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I would surely think that the old GM BBC Symmetrical Port Cylinder Head was used by the NHRA Pro-Stock teams that were GM cars ??? Mark H.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Back to cam specs. Does anyone here remember Cotton Perry and the Pocket Rocket? I was a mere boy of pre-teen years in 1975, but remember vividly a magazine article on his Modified Production 292ci chevy 6 cylinder that ran in the 10's. It was the first time that I'd ever heard of a valve lift of anything remotely close to an inch (0.990").
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pm Hey Walter, was the Big Chief spread port Head that you were referring to an improvement over the Chevrolet / GM Symmetrical Port Head that was introduced way back when ? I have often wondered about this ? Thanks, Mark H.....Sunny Central Florida resident.
I don't know if the 14 degree Big Chief "Olds" head was any better or not ... it was derived from a vastly modified and rolled-over Pontiac Pro Stock head.

There were many different heads used on competitive 500" GM cars of that era; Chevy symmetrical port, The Olds symmetrical port, Pontiac Pro Stock head, Dart big chief Olds all had GM part numbers.

I believe an improved and rolled-over OLDS symmetrical port DRCE3 head is still used today.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm Thanks Mike for your input, do you remember what the LSA / Lobe Separation Angle was then ? Mark H.
114 LSA
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I'm surprised nobody has dug up their dog-eared copy of Grumpy's SBC race engine book from the mid-70s where he goes into a lot of detail on what he ran for cams...
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

CamKing wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:36 pm
114 LSA
BTW, that was for IHRA Pro-Stock. I think the driver's name was Hill.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449