4 cyl turbo muffler

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
4 cyl turbo muffler

Post by dfarr67 »

Have a Toyota 22re that I installed a turbo on, the original exhaust was from Walker and the muffler was damaged- there was a dodge truck resonator laying around so we put that on thinking the turbo would tone things down nicely. 4 cylinders have to be the most annoying sounding motor going and what comes out of this tailpipe is unacceptable- rather loud too. No cat, no other resonator, I know turbos don't like back pressure, will be tuning for 200hp, looking for quiet- will sacrifice a few hp for this, would the older style walker super turbo be appropriate? not sure whether pipe is 1.75 or 2.25 as yet, would hooker aerochamber or their other max flo unit?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: 4 cyl turbo muffler

Post by Walter R. Malik »

dfarr67 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:33 pm Have a Toyota 22re that I installed a turbo on, the original exhaust was from Walker and the muffler was damaged- there was a dodge truck resonator laying around so we put that on thinking the turbo would tone things down nicely. 4 cylinders have to be the most annoying sounding motor going and what comes out of this tailpipe is unacceptable- rather loud too. No cat, no other resonator, I know turbos don't like back pressure, will be tuning for 200hp, looking for quiet- will sacrifice a few hp for this, would the older style walker super turbo be appropriate? not sure whether pipe is 1.75 or 2.25 as yet, would hooker aerochamber or their other max flo unit?
I would use a Dyno-Max Turbo style muffler of the correct pipe size you need.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

need 2.5" id , if its right it may sound crap off boost but when it comes on , you should be smiling , or do you mean the drone when at a steady speed on the road
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

If it's the drone, look into a 1/4 wave resonator (google it)
Ed
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

My EJ20 turbo sounded like wet fart with a single resonator. Adding a large body straight through muffler to the rear (so turbo, resonator, straight through) made a huge difference to volume and took a lot of the rasp out of it.

Can't comment on drone, the vastly unequal length EJ manifold doesn't show drones as much as most turbo engines. Probably something to do with uneven pulses not resonating so much.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Haven't tuned it yet- so no chance to try cruise, wet fart sounds about right. Did GMs old corvair turbocharged mufflers work?
malibuguy79

Post by malibuguy79 »

I use a modified DynoMax SuperTurbo muffler on my 4cyl turbo autoX car, as I still have a 150-200mile round trip to most events and I do not excessively noisey cars.

I call it the "super duper turbo" I drilled a handfull of holes on the high pressure side of the muffler (where it has to make the first turn and go around the exit pipe). Still very mellow and feels absolutely no different compared to the straight thru it replaced.
20210806_085721.jpg
20210806_085941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Researching which oem had their exhaust reasonably right.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

mitsubishi lancer evolution had their system right.

look at OEM evo 9 circa 2006.