PROCOMP Iron SBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

PROCOMP Iron SBC heads

Post by BOOT »

Bought some Procomp/Speedmaster iron heads for a decent price on ebay. 185cc intake & 64cc chamber, bronze guides. Couldn't find much about them and they look like ok heads so far, I do like iron heads. But they are not as advertised and I can return them for a full refund(making a video so not gonna go into detail). Still figured I'd see what some on here have to say about them cause I'm sure someone here has experience with their IRON heads. There are better heads yes but I like that they are cheap, smaller runners & iron.

060b pro2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: PROCOMP Iron SBC heads

Post by 1972ho »

If you want to get them cnc ported and you know the flow numbers that speedmaster advertise for them I know the place that cnc them for 300.00 per head
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Are there any casting numbers? Say, under the valve covers. I'm curious as to whether you'll find "350C" or similar?
I've aftermarket iron heads by RHS and it seems that they and EQ were from the same foundry. RHS discontinued theirs about 10 years back but I believe EQ is still going.
Kevin
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 am Are there any casting numbers? Say, under the valve covers. I'm curious as to whether you'll find "350C" or similar?
I've aftermarket iron heads by RHS and it seems that they and EQ were from the same foundry. RHS discontinued theirs about 10 years back but I believe EQ is still going.
Don't think they have anything cast, I bought them from Speedmaster's ebay account, they came in PROCOMP boxes.

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

I'll be sure to check out your vid.
Kevin
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I got you now BOOT you see if you can make them better than there CNC ones.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

FINALLY got the Speedmaster heads video done, not all the merchants fault for the delay. The furnace broke down 4 times, daily too and other junk slowing me down. But I was also waiting for the refund to go through before posting the video and it did last Friday night. Should of had it edited/shipped sooner but like I said LOL Oh well least I got another intake video almost done while waiting, just gotta wrap that one up by the weekend hopefully.

https://youtu.be/5aAj4v3V0kk

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Good Morning Boot,

I am interested in your head review. What are your plans with these? I too am looking for an Iron head for a 350 and I am having one heck of a time finding a good starting point. It seems nearly everyone goes aluminum and I simply don't want to. Are you planning on porting or having these flow tested?
Bryan from Oregon
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Dart continues to make iron heads 165,180,200,215,230 cc chamber size 49cc or 64cc 180cc thru 230cc. dartheads.com
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

The heads were relisted after my refund and I've been watching/checking them since posting my vid. Looks like someone bought them, hope they work out well for whoever.

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Little Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:32 pm Dart continues to make iron heads 165,180,200,215,230 cc chamber size 49cc or 64cc 180cc thru 230cc. dartheads.com
I have several sets of Dart heads in iron and aluminium.
Good castings in my opinion, I always buy bare heads.
I like them.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I've wanted to check out some DART iron heads, we'll see how things go in the future. I've got enough heads for now unless I come across a good deal or feel like making another video.

1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

steve cowan wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:32 am
Little Mouse wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:32 pm Dart continues to make iron heads 165,180,200,215,230 cc chamber size 49cc or 64cc 180cc thru 230cc. dartheads.com
I have several sets of Dart heads in iron and aluminium.
Good castings in my opinion, I always buy bare heads.
I like them.
I like my 2 sets of Dart heads too. My 215's worked pretty good last year and the 200cc, 49cc chamber ones I just picked up look like a pretty nice set of heads also. I wouldn't put a projunk head on my lawn mower.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I think the off shore copied heads were really done to fill the gap left from Dart and EQ not producing much for iron heads.
the last 2 years have taken a toll on manufactures and with the sale of Dart to RWB group they stopped producing iron stuff for a long time.
We will see how this year plays out for the iron stuff from the long time head manufactures like Dart if they can keep up with the demand for products like iron heads.

This just left the door open for others to fill the void and shake out the bugs in their program.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors