BB Mopar aftermarket connecting rods?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kingbee
BB Mopar aftermarket connecting rods?

Post by Kingbee »

Aside from Crower, Carillo, Oliver etc. being made in the USA where are all the other con rods made? If I'm going buy something besides American made I don't want to support china. Otherwise I'll just have to pay up.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: BB Mopar aftermarket connecting rods?

Post by lefty o »

buy once, cry once.
Kingbee

Post by Kingbee »

lefty o wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am buy once, cry once.
Agreed, in the grand scheme of things is an extra $1500 bucks going to matter if your building a serious engine?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Molnar rods are at least finished machined here in the US.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Somewhat on topic, seems most Mopar stroker crank kits these days come with rod journals finished to BBC diameter and with appropriate length BBC rods. Those of you who do this often, do you choose the less expensive BBC rods or hold out for the larger diameter Mopar rods?

Even somewhat less on topic, I had a welded stroker crankshaft done for my Packard V8. The 2.200" BBC rods were 1/3 the cost of custom 2.250" Packard rods. That much better bearings are available for the BBC made it an easy choice.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:14 pm Somewhat on topic, seems most Mopar stroker crank kits these days come with rod journals finished to BBC diameter and with appropriate length BBC rods. Those of you who do this often, do you choose the less expensive BBC rods or hold out for the larger diameter Mopar rods?

Even somewhat less on topic, I had a welded stroker crankshaft done for my Packard V8. The 2.200" BBC rods were 1/3 the cost of custom 2.250" Packard rods. That much better bearings are available for the BBC made it an easy choice.
Unless I have no other choice, they get BBC journals. If it’s a big power NA it will get SBC LJ rod throws.
Kingbee

Post by Kingbee »

ClassAct wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:49 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:14 pm Somewhat on topic, seems most Mopar stroker crank kits these days come with rod journals finished to BBC diameter and with appropriate length BBC rods. Those of you who do this often, do you choose the less expensive BBC rods or hold out for the larger diameter Mopar rods?

Unless I have no other choice, they get BBC journals. If it’s a big power NA it will get SBC LJ rod throws.
Thanks for pointing this out. While I new there were many BBC lengths I had tunnel vision and couldn’t see outside the box.
A couple questions. Is the extra side clearance with BBC rods on a 440 crank pin a concern with oil control? Is there any issues with grinding a factory forged crank to 2.200”? What are SBC LJ rods? Thanks
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

I have built several of those combinations for my race car, 64 Dodge, and for other people, they have all held up well. The last one I built was a 540 and by using BBC rods it had a better rod stroke ratio than the previous 512 combination in the same block with mopar sized rods and journals. I believe even the pistons and bores were finished to a more common BBC size as well.
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

In Stock/Superstock Eagle is the only one available for the 383.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Kingbee wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 pm
ClassAct wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:49 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. While I new there were many BBC lengths I had tunnel vision and couldn’t see outside the box.
A couple questions. Is the extra side clearance with BBC rods on a 440 crank pin a concern with oil control? Is there any issues with grinding a factory forged crank to 2.200”? What are SBC LJ rods? Thanks
Oil flow through the rods is controlled by bearing clearances not side clearance. So no issues with that.