Oil capacity

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Underdog
Oil capacity

Post by Underdog »

LT1 GEN 2 engine takes 4.5 to 5 quarts of oil from factory.

I now have a stroker pan milodon pn # 30909 which holds 6 quarts of oil.

Question is:. Do I still use 4.5/5 quarts of oil with new pan or do I go to 6 quarts?

P.s. I also have a hi volume oil pump.
Momus
Pro
Pro
Re: Oil capacity

Post by Momus »

The original dipstick should probably be used set the level as it will give the correct amount for the position of the pickup.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I would go with the 6 qt of oil that high volume pump is going to pump a lot more oil than the standard volume,go with being save than sorry
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

1972ho wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:41 am I would go with the 6 qt of oil that high volume pump is going to pump a lot more oil than the standard volume,go with being save than sorry
It won't pump any more oil than the engine will allow. Bearing clearances, etc. will determine how much is actually moved through the engine. Any additional oil will be bypassed back to the pan.

You need to make sure the pickup for the pump is at the correct distance from the bottom of the pan if you haven't done that already. The correct level will be what it was on the dipstick before. Larger capacity pans either have kickouts or are modified to be deeper than stock to gain the additional capacity....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Underdog wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:01 am LT1 GEN 2 engine takes 4.5 to 5 quarts of oil from factory.

I now have a stroker pan milodon pn # 30909 which holds 6 quarts of oil.

Question is:. Do I still use 4.5/5 quarts of oil with new pan or do I go to 6 quarts?

P.s. I also have a hi volume oil pump.
I also have a Gen 2 LT1 but with a Moroso 7 qt pan. I run 5.5 quarts of 0W-12 for dragstrip only use. For street use, I would keep it at full level (6 quarts in your case) to no greater than 0.5 quart low. If this is a max effort drag race deal, then 4.5-5 quarts would be acceptable.

In any case, you're usually better off to be a quart low than a quart over.

What's your rod and main bearing clearances?
How will this engine be used?
What fuel?
Max RPM?
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

HV pump is typically about 0.4" longer than OE; thus lowers stock pickup about same distance.

If OE stick was correct w/ OE pan; it still is. Correct level in pan hasn't changed; volume in pan has.

Pretty sure Gen II OE pump has the larger 3/4" OD pickup tube. So, STD pump for Gen II LT1 is HV155; HV is M155HV.

JMO, with a higher volume pan, you can run the level a bit lower to assist reducing crank windage. YMMV
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Is it a 'stroker', the crank, not the pan?
A longer stroke maybe incompatible with the old level on your stick.
ASSuming windage tray, keep it under that.
Good luck.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Not sure what your pan looks like, but the idea behind the deep pan is to get the oil away from the crank, not so much to increase the capacity of the oil.
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for helping me.
The car is a stroker 396ci max rpm of 7500 but will be setting it up for 8000. Bearing clearance are standard oem. Pan has a windage tray and can handle a 4" stroke.
The car is not street driven much at all, so is more of a strip car. I heard less oil makes more horsepower of course being careful not to go to low hence my question. I will try 5 quarts and see how it runs.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Underdog wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 am Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for helping me.
The car is a stroker 396ci max rpm of 7500 but will be setting it up for 8000. Bearing clearance are standard oem. Pan has a windage tray and can handle a 4" stroke.
The car is not street driven much at all, so is more of a strip car. I heard less oil makes more horsepower of course being careful not to go to low hence my question. I will try 5 quarts and see how it runs.
Lower viscosity would help as well. Depending on what rings you have and the hone job, there can be even more power with lower viscosity oils.

With standard OEM clearances (guessing .0015-.0020") and mostly drag strip use, you could use a 5W-20 and be fine. My LT1 has stock clearances, spinning 6800 rpm, strip only, and I use 0W-12 oil.

Lower viscosity generates less hydrodynamic friction and has greater solvency allowing for better additive activation and cleaning action.
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

I Will try 5 quarts of 5w20 next time i do an oil change and see how it runs. N/a

P.S. the car sees nitrous from time to time anywhere from 150 to 400 shot so the rings are gapped on the loose side.
RDY4WAR
Expert
Expert

Post by RDY4WAR »

Underdog wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:22 pm I Will try 5 quarts of 5w20 next time i do an oil change and see how it runs. N/a

P.S. the car sees nitrous from time to time anywhere from 150 to 400 shot so the rings are gapped on the loose side.
That changes things some. I'd want higher film thickness for the bearings with nitrous. Redline HP 5W-30 would be my choice with nitrous.
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

Copy that.