compression check on a never run engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

compression check on a never run engine

Post by Truckedup »

Going with a friend to look at a newly rebuilt engine on a stand.. It has never been run but the oil system is primed and it has a flwheel and starter...He want to turn it over to check the compression.. It has solid lifters, a street cam and 10-1 pistons...I would expect the compression to be lower than normal on a cold never run engine..Many variables here but would you expect the compression to be maybe 100 psi or lower? Obviously all the cylinders the same would be nice..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Re: compression check on a never run engine

Post by Tom68 »

Oiled bores, should crank nice and high.
If the lifters are hydraulic and haven't all been bled you'll get variations. Priming alone won't bleed all the lifters.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

Biggest influence will come to cam's intake closing point and engine cranking speed. For consistency cylinder-to-cylinder, you need a good starter and a strong battery being kept on a high charge. If this is a street solid cam, it would expect to see a good engine deliver at least 160PSI even if it has never been run.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Do a cylinder leak test, not a cranking compression test. I leak test all my engines on the engine stand, before the dyno. Then again after they are run a while, I look for the leak to be slightly better. I leak all used engines I want to purchase, really saved me some money over the years. A cylinder leak down test is not affected by cranking speed, camshaft grind, etc. On a new engine with just regular rings that have not been fired I usually see 20% to 10% leak. If it has more than that, I tear it down to find out why.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I recenty started my vintage land speed race bike after sitting in mt shop for four years....A pre lube , fresh fuel, it fired right and sounded just fine..A warm compression check showed only 75 psi....Then did a leak down test....I normally use 90 psi on the supply...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Good advice, all. Both leak-down and compression on a fresh build will tell much about cylinder finish and piston fit. A precision engine honed with a torque plate will ususally show much better on a leakdown test than will a shadetree or production house rebuild.

Today's hypereutectics fitting tightly with thin metric rings will definitely test higher than old school loose fit forgings with thick rings.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
superpursuit
Pro
Pro

Post by superpursuit »

What engine is it? Assuming it is a V8 of some description? If so and if it has flat tappets you may not want to do a compression test as this will wipe all the lube off the cam & lifters & it will probably fail later if it is not re - lubed before start up.

Allan.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

superpursuit wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:27 am What engine is it? Assuming it is a V8 of some description? If so and if it has flat tappets you may not want to do a compression test as this will wipe all the lube off the cam & lifters & it will probably fail later if it is not re - lubed before start up.

Allan.
This is my thought too. If some one wanted to compression test one of my flat tappet engines before the cam was broke-in he'd be told to pound sand
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Chevy engine, I am not the buyer, so .....I have seen fresh engines not tuned well enough to fire quickly so someone just grinds away on the starter ....
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Truckedup wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:50 pm I have seen fresh engines not tuned well enough to fire quickly so someone just grinds away on the starter ....
Guess that is a pet peave, grinding away until the battery is dead and doing it again with the charger. Almost bad as the dude proudly exclaiming "I cranked it until the oil pressure came up, didn't want to fire it without pressure ya know!"
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine