Advice: Heavy VAN TPI -torque and MPG build: Knock Risk

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Advice: Heavy VAN TPI -torque and MPG build: Knock Risk

Post by skinny z »

dfarr67 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:45 pm Get on Thirdgen and hunt down fast355, right up his alley.
I was just going to add that.
He's got a big heavy cargo van he uses for towing and has results that look to be remarkable.
I'll give him the heads up here.
Maybe some good will come out of it.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Here's a link to his profile page at Thirdgen.org if you're interested.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/member. ... styleid=53
Kevin
racprops

Post by racprops »

I have reached out to Fast355 on thirdgen a couple of days ago so far no response.

ARich
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

racprops wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:11 pm I have reached out to Fast355 on thirdgen a couple of days ago so far no response.

ARich
Me too.
Reading through some his threads might give you some insights.
Kevin
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Tom68 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:38 am
Circlotron wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:45 am
Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:38 pm High torque cams don't give the best mpg, they waste fuel creating too much vacuum at cruise. Egr could fix that.
What about some kind of load actuated flap valve that allows hot air intake at part throttle but cold air above a certain throttle opening?
Hot air/manifold can be good for economy with a carb, doubt it helps with a good set of injectors.
I read the subject line as TBI rather than TPI. If it actually was TBI then it might have helped the same way is does with a carb re wet manifold and all. The other reason I’m thinking hot air would help part throttle economy even with good injectors is because hot air is less dense so you need a wider throttle opening, so that means less vacuum and consequently lower pumping losses. YMMV.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Circlotron wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:53 pm
Tom68 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:38 am
Circlotron wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:45 am
What about some kind of load actuated flap valve that allows hot air intake at part throttle but cold air above a certain throttle opening?
Hot air/manifold can be good for economy with a carb, doubt it helps with a good set of injectors.
I read the subject line as TBI rather than TPI. If it actually was TBI then it might have helped the same way is does with a carb re wet manifold and all. The other reason I’m thinking hot air would help part throttle economy even with good injectors is because hot air is less dense so you need a wider throttle opening, so that means less vacuum and consequently lower pumping losses. YMMV.
My bad, did misread.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

What mpg do you expect?
racprops

Post by racprops »

Well based on these kind of readings:

Speeds, RPMs and MPG 03 Ford Explorer with Stock 3.73 Rear end.

MPG testing Upgrade Scan Gauge II, using trip MPG readings.
1AM I17 North from Cactus to 101 and south 101 to Cactus Temp 70Degrees Two runs each way. No wind.

The latest one of four cars I have tested this on:

Discovered that my rear RPMs and Speed do not match the calculator so corrected rear end gears to match real world readings:

Took her out again tonight. 60MPH and 70MPH TRUE by GPS. I was concerned when the calculator was off.

SO reset by this real world readings:
50MPH 1521 = AVG 26/27MPG Reads like a 3.55 Rear end.

Recalculated 2nd Overdrive with 3.55: DOD Is Double Over Drive
42MPH in 5th @ 1270RPMs = DOD = 60MPH
45MPH in 5th @ 1380RPMs = DOD = 65MPH
49MPH in 5th @ 1480RPMs = DOD = 70MPH = 29MPG
52MPH in 5th @ 1580RPMs = DOD = 75MPH
56MPH in 5th @ 1700RPMs = DOD = 80MPH
59MPH in 5th @ 1800RPMs = DOD = 85MPH = 26MPG

Due to traffic I only got these lowest and highest readings Lowest I read was 49MPH by GPS and got 29MPG and highest was 59MPH and read 26MPG. SO IF the SUV can get the same MPG at the Same RPMs then at the higher speed in double overdrive that will mean at 70MPH it will be doing 29MPG and at 85MPH getting 26MPG.

Of course these projections do not, cannot show what effects wind resistion and rolling resistion will be and how they will affect the real world MPG. But I believe it will only be minor.

Of course this will only help with higher speeds, mainly on highways.

And the costs of building it and installing it will take some time to be paid off by the money I will be saving by the lowered costs of driving in gas savings.
So it is a cost VS benefits calculation, so the cheaper the cost the better.

Here is an ODD thing about the plan for a double overdrive.

The RPM and Miles per hour range is from 49MPH = 1480 RPMs to 59MPH @ 1800 RPMs in the Ford Explorer in fifth gear.

The calculator shows that adding in the double overdrive those speeds and RPMs corresponds to: 5th gear 49MPH = 1480 RPMs will be in 6th gear will be 60MPH @ 1480RPMs and that 59MPH @ 1800 RPMs will be 85MPH….

The only thing that will be a facture will be how much wind resistion will hurt my MPG…which seems to not to all that it is trumped up to be.

Because a 2019 Chevy Express van (A BIGGER BOX) is officially reported by its sticker to do 29MPG highway. My 93 G20 is even smaller and lower that that monster.

I Have a great picture of a window sticker from a 2019 Express van showing 29MPG highway and a Express VAN (A tall long big van) and my little Explorer...

Can't load it here.

Rich
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

skinny z wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:15 pm
racprops wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:11 pm I have reached out to Fast355 on thirdgen a couple of days ago so far no response.

ARich
Me too.
Reading through some his threads might give you some insights.
I just had a conversation with Fast355. Seems he has had some discussion with the OP but nothing ever came of it.
Kevin
racprops

Post by racprops »

"I just had a conversation with Fast355. Seems he has had some discussion with the OP but nothing ever came of it.
Kevin"

What is OP?? Is he dropping out of thirdgen??

I am also into Ford Panther model cars and we lost one of our greatest poster when a Drock dropped out.

Rich
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

racprops wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 pm
What is OP??
I use it as the acronym for Original Poster.

As for Fast 355, I think he's a thridgen.org mainstay.
Kevin
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If the thing has steel rims then reducing rotational mass at all 4 corners with lighter rims can be a surprising plus in both mileage and performance gains!

All too often we dive under the hood for improvement’s!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

Things like tapered squish zones may help. Or their poor cousin, grooves. (both seems about allowing flame front access to the full bore sooner without reducing charge motion brought on by the squish)
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:38 pm High torque cams don't give the best mpg, they waste fuel creating too much vavuum at cruise. Egr could fix that.
Can you expand on this ?
racprops

Post by racprops »

" Tom68 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:38 pm
High torque cams don't give the best mpg, they waste fuel creating too much vavuum at cruise. Egr could fix that.

by rgalajda
Can you expand on this ?"

Tom I believe is talking about Pumping Loses, Where the high vacuum of a nearly closed throttle and the resulting high vacuum is its self fighting the engine, it is trying to stop the engine. This is one of the features that helps diesels get better MPG, NO throttle plate, no vacuum, diesels control power by changing fuel injection, so there is no vacuum to fight so no pumping loses.

Here is a tread on this: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread. ... 34424.html

And right here: viewtopic.php?t=43216

My plan if this shows up is to add EGR, doing so can as I have read can swamp the engine forcing more throttle which lower engine vacuum.

It is funny how we are told the higher the vacuum the better the MPG will be BUT only to a point.

Rich