Question for cam gurus

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Question for cam gurus

Post by swampbuggy »

You are correct AA, Prolonged idling which limits the oil to the axel in the lifter is the worst thing you can do . I learned this through experience . Mark H.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

AA Performance wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:51 pm Can't believe that Mike, not 20,000.
Well, you can lead a horse to water...............

These lifters have 4 pressure-fed oiling ports to the axle. Oil to the rollers isn't a problem.
We have multiple sets in circle track engines that are on their 5th season, and those applications are twice as hard on the valve train.
We have multiple sets in pro-street type engines that drive thousands of miles a year.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

bob460 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 am
ProPower engines wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:23 am Any roller cam used in our stuff we always suggest the customer go with a bushed roller wheel lifter.
Solid or hydraulic roller lifters will last much longer and prevent engine damage from needles from going through the engine if they fail. On any BBC marine engine they all get bushed roller wheel lifters. =D> =D>

The BAM lifters have a couple options for bushings.
They use a bushed roller wheel and they also use a DLC coated axle which offers a larger surface area for the wheels to rum on. Pressure oiled as well.
Personally I have not used the DLC coated axle style but many sets of bushed roller wheel type.

And no issues with any so far. The oldest set is hyd. rollers about 10 years ago now and they are still going. =D> =D>
I thought bushings only come out in the last 3-4 years for hydraulic roller lifters, and only by isky lifters. So don't know how you have a set going on 10 years #-o , unless your running hydraulic roller cam with solid lifters.
It was 2012.
Isky has had them offered for solid roller lifters but since I am a dealer i had some installed in hyd. roller lifters.
At the time Johnson was having to have the bushing sent to them from Isky directly to Johnson to have the installed specially in the Hyd. lifters. and there was several time after that i had the same thing done by Isky before they were in the catalog. They increased the cost of the lifters without question considerably at the time compared to the needle bearing rollers.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

CamKing wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 am
AA Performance wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:51 pm Can't believe that Mike, not 20,000.
Well, you can lead a horse to water...............

These lifters have 4 pressure-fed oiling ports to the axle. Oil to the rollers isn't a problem.
We have multiple sets in circle track engines that are on their 5th season, and those applications are twice as hard on the valve train.
We have multiple sets in pro-street type engines that drive thousands of miles a year.
Still haven't told me lifter brand? Like I said previously, they will last longer at higher revs than they will at idle. I believe that street driving will be the ultimate test, not a drag car that has the same lifters for 10 years, races every fortnight and has done maybe 500-600 miles total. According to you, these liters will be a once of purchase for the life of any competition vehicle.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Hey Mike, we got sidetracked off original topic, but all good. Your original cam you recommende was 273 - 283 @ .050" You think that will get 1000HP+? Why do you think GM engineers on the 10004HP pump gas 632ci came up with there deal in HR with 270 / 287 @ .050 and 780 / 782 valve lift. That has 17° more on exh. Why? Would your cam make more ?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

This was in a street car. For that matter after looking at some old work orders there were several builds in that time frame that were hyd. roller lifters that I have special ordered the bushings to be installed.
To date they are all still running with no issues there was a couple street cars with SBC engines and a few BBC engines were in that list that also include twin 496 BBC builds for a marine power upgrade as well.

Still I only use the bushed Hyd. lifters for marine builds and when customers agree for street builds using any type of roller.
To me they are cheap insurance and seem to last longer then needle bearings do in hard run applications and will indicate an issue when and if they do wear to the point of replacement.

They are more money then a regular lifter be it solid or Hyd. roller type. And at the time when I had the 1st sets converted it was about $250 up charge. That made the lifters about $850 USD by the time I received them then ad 30% to that made them a hard sell to guys used to looking and comparing costs on e bay junk.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors