Cam selection for a small bore engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bernhard

Cam selection for a small bore engine?

Post by Bernhard »

What can be done to aid breathing through cam design?
Small bore long stroke Oldsmobile 400 G
Class limited engine
Cam lift .474
stock intake
stock heads
headers
Bore 3.87 stock 3.930 with .060 over
4.25 stroke

Thanks
Bernhard
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Cam selection for a small bore engine?

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Bernard,
More than the cam, it's what heads and what size valves will clear the smaller bore. When you say "stock heads" do you mean the heads which came on that engine or any Oldsmoble part number heads?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

Original heads no porting of heads stock valve size. The seats receive a multi angle valve grind. The valves are back cut old school or more common a valve with improved flow characteristics is used.
Some use under cover porting to extract even more performance from the heads and intake manifold.
There are well known machinist that perform this type of head work so stock is a loose term.
Most cams are designed for the larger bore 455 or larger bore E 400. I was just wondering if a camshaft was tailored to the small bore size what it might look like. Class racers usually work with a camshaft manufacturers in maximizing there combination, I'm quite away off from ordering a custom camshaft.
I thought I would post the question here, given the level of discussion that takes place on this forum.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Small Bore = undersized valves.
When you don't have enough valve area, you need to increase the lift as much as possible, to gain area under the curve.
You will also want to widen the LSA to help extend the power past peak.
If it's a drag racing application, you can add duration too, and just increase the stall to deal with the torque loss from the added duration.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CamKing wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:53 am Small Bore = undersized valves.
When you don't have enough valve area, you need to increase the lift as much as possible, to gain area under the curve.
You will also want to widen the LSA to help extend the power past peak.
If it's a drag racing application, you can add duration too, and just increase the stall to deal with the torque loss from the added duration.
Yep, and the higher percentage of mean piston speed can usually tolerate a bit more duration at any time.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

You want to get to that .474” valve lift limit as fast as you can with those stock heads .

Running a can lobe of lesser lift with a higher ratio rocker to get to .474” would be the way to go .

Note that most Olds heads that I have had on my bench in terms of the exh side will loose high lift flow when a 3 angle valve job is applied if you do not near fully blend off the bottom cut by hand around the short turn.
On the exh side you will also have( and hear ) turbulence in the port with just appling a common 3 angle valve job .
This is due to the lack of short turn height these heads have.

In fact what I would be inclined to to on the exh side is take the seat OD out to within .004” of the OD of the valve , then apply a .030” wide top cut that butts right up to the 45 seat and then put a 30 degree back cut on the rear of the valve and skip the full 3 angle job.

Do the rules call for stock valve stem dimensions?

Are you limited to exh manifolds?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

Stock size valve stem and valve size original valve angle + or - 1 degree
stock rocker ratio.
Headers yes

Thanks for all the reply's
Bernhard
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Can you post up a picture of the back side of both the Intake and Exh valve?

You do not want them to beTulip on the back side as that defeat's running a Cam with the needed faster opening rate!

With aTulip valve more flow is seen during a static test on a flow bench, but in practice it cuts into power on a running motor.

You want valves with a 25degree under head angle after the 45 degree seat for those ports , and in my opinion it's worth it to get them made if you can't find anything close enough to get cut down to the head diameter's you need.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

mag2555 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Can you post up a picture of the back side of both the Intake and Exh valve?

You do not want them to beTulip on the back side as that defeat's running a Cam with the needed faster opening rate!

With aTulip valve more flow is seen during a static test on a flow bench, but in practice it cuts into power on a running motor.
What kind of testing did you do to make these determinations? Im assuming some exhaust flow tests on a flow bench? :lol:
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Yes on my superflow bench.
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Here are a few of the intake port and valve
The intake valve has been back cut.
My valve spring compressor struggled to compress the springs so I will have to upgrade before removing more valves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

The intake seat is running out, maybe the valves too ....... next time you get them done take them to someone who can put them in right

Failing specific information on that particular head and very generally ......

You need at least four angles on the intake seat, 37/45/57/69 would be the starting point, and keep the throat percentage conservative at around 88%, 30* backcut on the valve

The exhaust seat straight into a throat radius, minimal topcut, depending on the shape of the valve a 30/35* backcut may help

If others are running optimised 'undercover porting' you need to consider doing the same, or risk running towards the back of the class

For the given capacity the earlier big bore engine should run harder, but you likely can't run that, as would a weaker 403 or stronger overbored diesel block

By no means an Olds expert so JMO
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

Thanks for the informative reply.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

BCjohnny wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:05 am You need at least four angles on the intake seat, 37/45/57/69 would be the starting point, and keep the throat percentage conservative at around 88%, 30* backcut on the valve
Why keep the throat percentage so small? Especially if it's way under valved?
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

I don't consider it 'small', just conservative, and I also don't totally buy into the 'under valved large throat' philosophy, not under all circumstances anyway

I get the impression it's a modestly funded 'suck it and see' deal ..... no harm in that, not everything's high dollar ...... so it's easier to take a bit more out if needed than try to put it back in, on a purely practical level

What would you advise re angles and values ?