Powerglide rebuilding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

88bluestar
Pro
Pro
Powerglide rebuilding

Post by 88bluestar »

Best powerglide book on rebuilds and modifications?
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Powerglide rebuilding

Post by 6.50camaro »

I used HP Books, Powerglide Transmission Handbook by Carl Munroe. I was not building a new tranny, just a rebuild of a TSI built PG w/brake. Still going strong a couple hundred runs latter. The only problem I had was the seal on the t-brake solenoid started leaking last year. I felt it was well written and informative enough to walk me the mods if needed. Just my opinion. Dan
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

motors tranmission manual
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Carl's book is a good one. I've read it twice now and have used it to build a transmission or two.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

The HP book is a good one. I don't know if the ATSG manual is still in print but it is very good as well. If you are wanting a high performance glide, my best advice is to go on racing junk or a local swap meet and buy one with the goodies already in it and then freshen that unit, usually you are money ahead than to buy all the parts new and make a good one out of a stock case. Especially if you can find one with an aftermarket case. What most people don't realize is the powerglide was as cheap junky transmission as GM could build, but it was lite, so drag racers thrashed it until it would hold some horsepower.