General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Re: Evans Coolant

Post by dfarr67 »

My thoughts:
- they shut down flying at certain temp- metal acts differently.
- just plain too expensive driving to work at that temp- I've had belts blow up just starting the truck. Better to grab a taxi.
- I stopped snowmobiling at -25C
- I think there is a 60/40 mix for those temps.

- And the stories I could tell surveying up there. First time I seen a steel property pin hoisted by frost right out of the ground (straight up from Vancouver).
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I am glad I don’t live in that frozen wasteland. Got stuck in -45 in Colorado for a wedding. The antifreeze looked like a slushy.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I put Evans in the snowmobile- turned to slush and I am glad the water pump didn't seem to mind- then they came out with a power sports version that behaved better.
Don't miss the bugs, cost of living- but I do miss the choice of being - really alone, if you wished. Oh- and great fishing.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Head-to-head test between "Waterless" coolant (Evans-style) vs. 100% water with just anti-corrosion and water-wetter additives:

6 liter LS running on dyno with electric water pump @ 5,000 RPM under load for 15 minutes:

An average of a 111 degree temp reduction in the heads and 77F average reduction in coolant temps.
https://www.amaproracing.com/storage/ap ... ew-aft.pdf

Dramatically reduced viscosity, too.
-My knock-prone long runner engine is running as much water in it as I can get away with. (My engine won't see colder than 10C, though, let alone -35C...)

Adam
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

What is the difference between hyper-expensive Evans propylene glycol, and not-that-expensive Sierra propylene glycol?

I looked for SDS material for Evans, and had no success--but it's been years since I tried.
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

dfarr67 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:51 pm Been running this coolant for years and I like it for no corrosion and low system pressure. I'm working on a tune for a 383/alum headed that's is a little marginal for regular fuel. Evans is supposed to be 10% less efficient at heat transfer than water/antifreeze.....is it worth changing back to the green stuff?
How does Evans have " low system pressure "
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:20 pm Head-to-head test between "Waterless" coolant (Evans-style) vs. 100% water with just anti-corrosion and water-wetter additives:

6 liter LS running on dyno with electric water pump @ 5,000 RPM under load for 15 minutes:

An average of a 111 degree temp reduction in the heads and 77F average reduction in coolant temps.
https://www.amaproracing.com/storage/ap ... ew-aft.pdf

Dramatically reduced viscosity, too.
-My knock-prone long runner engine is running as much water in it as I can get away with. (My engine won't see colder than 10C, though, let alone -35C...)

Adam
77F average reduction in coolant temps. What does this mean? If I install this in my BBC radiator which has a 180 degree thermostat will I see 110 degrees. If my highest coolant temp idling in traffic is 195 will it lower to 118 degrees.

Most antifreeze mixtures will provide 60/40 -52C (-62F) 50/50 -37C(-34F) 40/60 -24C (-12F)

A lot of snake oil voodoo advertising.
Concentrate on your cooling system. I built a 500HP BBC with an aluminum rad 4 years ago , standard clutch fan and standard shroud , that is hard to get it to 195 degrees on a hot day with a 180 thermostat.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Zero pressure means- rad cap is disabled and system has little to no pressure.

Comparing a DD capable coolant (Evans) to a mix of water and water wetter- is not a valid comparison, I guess it does show something, but I wouldn't use the later mix anytime.

Because Evans is some 20% less efficient than normal anti freeze- my cooling system is above average.

This thread is moot now- I have changed to an antifreeze.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

rgalajda wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:53 am 77F average reduction in coolant temps. What does this mean? If I install this in my BBC radiator which has a 180 degree thermostat will I see 110 degrees. If my highest coolant temp idling in traffic is 195 will it lower to 118 degrees.

Most antifreeze mixtures will provide 60/40 -52C (-62F) 50/50 -37C(-34F) 40/60 -24C (-12F)

A lot of snake oil voodoo advertising.
Concentrate on your cooling system. I built a 500HP BBC with an aluminum rad 4 years ago , standard clutch fan and standard shroud , that is hard to get it to 195 degrees on a hot day with a 180 thermostat.
I assumed that they were running without a thermostat and that's where the "77F average reduction in coolant temps" came from, but that 2nd chart just has a strange title. The 77F difference was actually still measured in the head but it was comparing a 50/50 prop glycol mix vs. a 100% water mix via the VP "Stay Frosty".

Obviously your actual temps have to be above the temp at which your thermostat opens.

I think there's something to be said for the increased efficiency of more water.
I'm going with a 75/25 blend of water to glycol and with a 16 psi rad pressure the freezing point should be 12.5F and boiling point of 268F.

My car stays parked in my attached garage and won't ever get below mid 40s Fahrenheit so I'm quite comfortable with those numbers.

One thing I'm NOT comfortable with is how long water wetters and anti-corrosion additives are actually good for. I know VP recommends that you "top up" with theirs every year and drain every 2 years, but I'm not sure if that's based upon the actual chemistry or to increase sales. The anti-freeze I'm using is an OAT, which I thought were supposed to have long lifetimes...

Adam