Starting engine on engine stand

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Starting engine on engine stand

Post by Belgian1979 »

I have one of my engines on an engine stand (type on which you store an engine while not in use - Summit brand). I would like to start it up, but not sure if it would be possible on this stand? Any views on this? Thanks.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: Starting engine on engine stand

Post by rfoll »

If you are talking about an assembly stand I would be afraid of it tipping over. But those short knee high things, it would be easy. Strap your radiator to a saw horse and use a boat tank to feed it. You might need to install your exhaust upside down on such a contraption.
So much to do, so little time...
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

rfoll wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:08 pm If you are talking about an assembly stand I would be afraid of it tipping over. But those short knee high things, it would be easy. Strap your radiator to a saw horse and use a boat tank to feed it. You might need to install your exhaust upside down on such a contraption.
No not an assembly stand. The thing to long term store an engine. It has 4 wheels on it. Bolts to the engine mounts and trans flange.
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

i built a flathead ford for a fellow and he insisted i run it before he picked it up. I had it on a engine stand with rad and it was smooth running. He just had to snap throttle and it almost flipped over. Its the flywheel effect.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

No problem with mine that was just an engine stand that I made up a new center mast with bellhousing plate and made up a square tube piece that was bolted across the 2 leg extensions that go forward. To this was a pair of upright tubes that had the block engine mount locations. This square tube extended out and had one adjustable bolt/foot on each side to prevent stand tip. Worked very well with a torquey 427 Ford Windsor build! Have a video of it someplace. Same picture again....
Yellow tube has engine mount holes and welded to that bolt on cross bar with adjustable feet. Made a small gauge panel with toggle switch ignition and a palm button start switch. Ignition was a simple Ford Duraspark box from 1985. Oil pressure gauge in place along with engine fan and radiator plus battery on bottom. A remote 2 gallon fuel jug gravity fed the mechanical fuel pump.
After the engine was run We removed it and installed it in my 1985 Mustang LX with the headers still in place...just removed the slip on collectors!

For the July 4th driveway party later that year I put my old 351 Windsor on it with open headers and the gang over for cookout. We would crank it up and run it a bit. Was cool at night with some flame out the headers! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

Stack some heavy stuff on the legs of the stand. Like several iron cylinder heads to add mass and lower CG.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

My dad in the 70's hated when I fired the 327 up when he had customers until they came over and helped me tune it!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

It should be fine on an engine storage cradle. I used to start them up with them sitting on a couple tires. Nothing ever fell off the floor. I don't think I would ever do one on an assembly stand.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I have run a race engine on a shipping stand made of 2x6's... No issues.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Looks like the stand I use.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

My test stand is commonly called a dyno