Plug fouling vs ignition voltage?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Nut124
Pro
Pro

Plug fouling vs ignition voltage?

Post by Nut124 »

Has anyone observed high ignition voltage resulting in more plug fouling?

I observed something like it today possibly.

Finally a nice day for a test drive of me new intake cam. Started the car up to let it warm up. Upon leaving, immediately noticed it was running on 3 of 4 cylinders, fouled plug?. Put it back in the garage. After dinner, went back to see which cyl was not firing. While idling at 3 cyls, pulled plug wires off the dizzy cap. As I pulled #4 off the cap, the engine picked up and started to run fine, as long as I kept the wire 1/2" or less from the cap where the spark could jump the gap. If I pushed the wire back into the cap, the engine would slow down, run on 3. If I kept a 3/8-1/2" cap, the engine would idle fine.

Almost seems like a higher ignition voltage will find ground in a fouled plug sooner than a lower voltage.

Should I get a lesser coil for less voltage? I do have trouble with plug fouling on occasion. The engine idled fine with almost a 1/2" visible gap at the dizzy.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Plug fouling vs ignition voltage?

Post by BOOT »

What coil? What ignition? What compression & plug gap?

Could be the weaker energy it was, then it couldn't jump/leak to were ever it was before firing the plug. If so then bad plug wires or plug maybe.

I'm not saying your wrong and I am no ignition expert. I do know some coils are better for higher RPM and there is a thing call coil tuning.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Not sure about your first statement. But what you have done by pulling the lead from the cap and introducing a bridgeable air gap is to have increased the discharge voltage for that plug, or until VR exceeds VA. The coil you have seems capable of providing the spark energy to make the engine run correctly in this instance.
A change of plugs is a cheap re test.
I have experienced plugs in engines that would run rough or misfire even though they looked relatively clean.
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

Nothing new there. 2-stroke lawn mower plugs have an internal gap for this exact purpose. Champion UJ18 for example.

viewtopic.php?t=45565
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

as a technician if you told me your post, first thing I would do is hook up an ignition scope to see what the firing KV and burn time was on each cylinder. To keep a plug clean you need both to be right. One of the advantages of an MSD type ignition is that at low speeds the box will fire the plug three times making sure the mixture is fired, even if it is too rich. As engine speed increases the three pulses happen faster, making just one long hot spark. In pulling the plug off and making it jump further you increased the firing KV and reduced the burn time at the plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Isn't the real question why the plug fouled in the first place ?

Sounds like a plug heat range issue or engine tune issue needs to be addressed unless you have some non conventional ignition system that you are questioning.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Tom68 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 am Isn't the real question why the plug fouled in the first place ?

Sounds like a plug heat range issue or engine tune issue needs to be addressed unless you have some non conventional ignition system that you are questioning.
Yes..and if its an electronic ignition it is recomended to short the plugs rather than pulling off wires
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Nut124
Pro
Pro

Post by Nut124 »

Circlotron wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:19 am Nothing new there. 2-stroke lawn mower plugs have an internal gap for this exact purpose. Champion UJ18 for example.

viewtopic.php?t=45565
I just thought it was an interesting finding.

The engine has big weber IDFs and it sometimes fouls plugs when idling. I almost feel like the #4 idle screw turns out on it's own. I used to run NGK6 but had put in one step colder for track use. May go back to 6 for street.
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

Contact Keith Franck, proprietor of webstore at the attached link. He's done expert work analyzing and developing solutions for Webers' shortcomings.

https://www.webstore.com/user,pgr,82598 ... ther_items

Cheers