Chinesium flywheel....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Chinesium flywheel....

Post by dfarr67 »

I know I'm way overthinking this- but I'm here for your opinion.

Flywheel options:
OEM- $600 not likely to happen
used fleabay OEM- $90 + resurface?
Sachs- $90 china
LUK- $90 china

When you look at the OEM, nice casting, min balancing drill holes, china product- not so much.

Also have you noticed quality difference in competing products- or are they made in same factory ie:
normal Sacs price is $140
normal LUK price $90
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro
Re: Chinesium flywheel....

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Resurfaced OEM one would be my choice if on a budget. I would much prefer that over something of unknown metallurgy and construction. Seems like a no brainer to me.:)
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

What type of vehicle and engine are we discussing ??
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

1990 Toyota 4 runner with boosted 22RE, have a 9 1/4in Sachs clutch on the way for a Supra 3.0L and the flywheel I'm looking at is for a 1985-88 turbo 22RTE. Existing clutch is a 8 7/8in stock version for the regular 2.4L- it may last but I'm planning ahead.
I don't think I have seen any new stock Toyota flywheels.
This may be a reboxed unit. just wondering how the rust affects things.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185052129543?s ... 1438.l2649

Don't think I'm cheap- just looking for value and to avoid adding resurfacing to the package- and I try to avoid china and mex made products when I can- this gets harder and harder every year.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Hmmm a Toyota I would think the flywheel on a Japanese manufactured automobile would more than likely come from China from the get go the Chinese did just start manufacturing parts in the past few years they have been doing it since 60’s and beyond it just depends on what it is.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

1972ho wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:28 pm Hmmm a Toyota I would think the flywheel on a Japanese manufactured automobile would more than likely come from China from the get go the Chinese did just start manufacturing parts in the past few years they have been doing it since 60’s and beyond it just depends on what it is.
China was supplying Japanese OEM parts in the 1980"s? BS. Show me an example.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

There are Chinese parts made to OEM standards and then there are Chinese parts made to a price
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My son is an engineer for a company that manufactures construction equipment in China. The equipment is sold in the Chinese market, and not exported to the USA. He also tells me that the Chinese can manufacture quality components. He says when as an American he negotiates with a supplier, the Chinese just assume they want something as cheap as possible, when he makes it clear they want a quality part, they can supply it. In reading this thread it seems odd that you are wanting a non-import part for an import vehicle? Or at least a part not made in China. The world is a global economy, as my son keeps reminding me. Best to concentrate on the quality of the part and not its country of origin. The idea of preserving American manufacturing is a ship that has sailed, I don't like it but it seems to me that is reality. I would think a steel flywheel not a cast one would be my concern for a performance project regardless of where it is made.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Ran cheap china-made 153T light 16 lb cast iron Perfection aka Zoom sbc flywheels in restricted CT racecars ... 6800-7K ... many others did same. No issues.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

rebelrouser wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:41 am My son is an engineer for a company that manufactures construction equipment in China. The equipment is sold in the Chinese market, and not exported to the USA. He also tells me that the Chinese can manufacture quality components. He says when as an American he negotiates with a supplier, the Chinese just assume they want something as cheap as possible, when he makes it clear they want a quality part, they can supply it. In reading this thread it seems odd that you are wanting a non-import part for an import vehicle? Or at least a part not made in China. The world is a global economy, as my son keeps reminding me. Best to concentrate on the quality of the part and not its country of origin. The idea of preserving American manufacturing is a ship that has sailed, I don't like it but it seems to me that is reality. I would think a steel flywheel not a cast one would be my concern for a performance project regardless of where it is made.
Sure they can build quality parts- but at that quality/price I would rather go elsewhere. My personal pecking order:
Japan/Germany
Europe
North America
Taiwan/Korea
mexico
china
My Sachs that I ordered looks like Korean origin- better than mexico I guess.

When I look at the balancing- that tells me alot about the whole package.
Last edited by dfarr67 on Wed May 11, 2022 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

rebelyell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 am Ran cheap china-made 153T light 16 lb cast iron Perfection aka Zoom sbc flywheels in restricted CT racecars ... 6800-7K ... many others did same. No issues.
IF I have a choice I prefer not to run china gear, ideal for me is NOS at a decent price.

And to be fair to you guys commenting- its a little bit more than just the parts- I dislike their political games and try not to support.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:39 am
1972ho wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:28 pm Hmmm a Toyota I would think the flywheel on a Japanese manufactured automobile would more than likely come from China from the get go the Chinese did just start manufacturing parts in the past few years they have been doing it since 60’s and beyond it just depends on what it is.
China was supplying Japanese OEM parts in the 1980"s? BS. Show me an example.
it is highly unlikely china supplied much of anything in the 80's as the commie curtain was very much intact. plus the fact japan doesnt like china much. my guess is toyota of that era was mostly made in japan. heck my 2019 subie wrx is 97% made in japan.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I went with the Standard Flywheels Corp flywheel- I do believe I have seen the casting mark on Toy parts. I just hope the rust isn't too bad or will clean up with a resurface.
The used one- he sprayed it with something and should have taken his pic before doing so- 89k miles claimed so maybe it already has a resurface on it.
I'll see what bearings come with it- I won't cheap out there.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

I had a 22RTE in a 86 SR5 4x4 way back in 1990. Lifted, 35" tires for a while then 38" Baja Belted's. Daily driver back and forth to School, cruising etc. Had to replace the clutch once, went with a Centerforce and resurfaced the flywheel. Drove like stock. Never an issue. Put 80k miles on that truck in two years. Same time I had another 87 SR5 4x4 22RTE that I had nothing but problems with. Bought it cheap because the motor grenaded. It was garbage. Should have put a 22RE in it but I had the Turbo engine rebuilt. Crank was destroyed, connecting rods bent, timing chain etc etc. Rebuilt it at a significant cost and it promptly died again. Piston pin shattered/cracked (not press fit). Looking back it had to have had detonation issues but no one could give me an answer back then. So that soured me on the turbo 22RE motors. I ended up replacing it with a low mileage junkyard 22RE and computer harness etc, and sold it to a friend. He put 200K on it before he sold it and it was still going strong. Should have done that to start with. Those were good motors.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Good......but sooooooooooo underpowered. I wouldn't deal with an RTE either. This one was born with a auto- wouldn't get out of it's own way going up the mountains. This one has a modern standalone efi, crank trigger, LS coils, Bosch 42pph injectors, etc.

BTW sourced a Sachs 1989 Supra clutch which should fit nicely.

If I were to do it again I would:
- put a 7mge in or buy a latter model with the 3.4L.