Mahle bearings...run em’?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Mahle bearings...run em’?

Post by c1500sbc »

These are some mahle bearings I just got in from Summit. Some are different colors, some are scratched and some just look off. I don’t have a ton of experience with different rod bearings but these look weird to me. Run them?

Also, the pistons I ordered have a top compression ring made of carbon steel and a second ring made of Napier. Anything specific with the finish hone using those type of rings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Mahle bearings...run em’?

Post by BOOT »

How well were they packaged/sealed? I've gotten returned used or swapped parts before, guess not all places inspect before putting stuff back on the shelf.

edit: Those deff look off to me also, kinda like someone just took out the brand new ones n Threw in some used ok and others that were rejects, then returned it.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

BOOT wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:54 pm How well were they packaged/sealed? I've gotten returned used or swapped parts before, guess not all places inspect before putting stuff back on the shelf.
Most were packed like they were new. Not hard to replicate though. One or two had fallen out of their small box. Each set was individually boxed. They don’t look used, just off colored and scratched.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

the color isn't important.
Ask a machinist to check them.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Most of the time ... getting the correct amount of bearing oil clearance is much more important than the actual bearing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

Doing some searching online, it looks like Mahle’s H series bearings just look like this. At least based off a lot of the photos I see online. Maybe I’ll call Mahle in the morning and see what they say.

Any info on the cylinder wall finished with those type of piston rings?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Mahle bought the Clevite that bought Michigan but that does not make them "MAHLE BEARINGS"
Last edited by modok on Thu May 12, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Colors are normal but the scratches need seen in person to say.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

The "color" is pretty normal on the "H" bearings but the scratches are not. Almost looks like somebody had them in a rod and was checking clearance with a bore gauge of some type ? Do the scratched bearings look like they have been installed in a rod before ? What do the backs look like ?

Napier is not a material, it is the shape of the rings.

What engine is this for ? Aluminum rods ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

BillK wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:57 am The "color" is pretty normal on the "H" bearings but the scratches are not. Almost looks like somebody had them in a rod and was checking clearance with a bore gauge of some type ? Do the scratched bearings look like they have been installed in a rod before ? What do the backs look like ?

Napier is not a material, it is the shape of the rings.

What engine is this for ? Aluminum rods ?
They don’t appear to have been installed. No markings on the back of them. I’ll double check when I get home.

Learning something new everyday! This is a 383 small block. Forged 4340 crank, 5140 I beam rods and forged -31cc pistons. Small Weiand 177 on it.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

c1500sbc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:29 am 5140 I beam rods
If you have steel rods why did you get the bearings with the dowel pin hole in them ?? Should be CB663HN What number did you get ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

BillK wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am
c1500sbc wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:29 am 5140 I beam rods
If you have steel rods why did you get the bearings with the dowel pin hole in them ?? Should be CB663HN What number did you get ?
I listened to some folks online that sound like they gave me some info. Now that I’m paying attention. I see what you mean. Those bearings are made for an aluminum rod with a dowel pin.

Looks like I’ll be ordering a new set anyways! Any opinion on a narrowed rod bearing? Are those recommended with a 3.75” crank? Are they interchangeable?
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Narrow bearings are typically needed with after market cranks that use large rod journal fillets to prevent the bearing contacting the fillet. Stock cranks generally do not need narrowed bearings. Narrowed bearings CAN be used with either stock or large fillet cranks.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

fabr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:20 am Narrow bearings are typically needed with after market cranks that use large rod journal fillets to prevent the bearing contacting the fillet. Stock cranks generally do not need narrowed bearings. Narrowed bearings CAN be used with either stock or large fillet cranks.
Thank you for the clarification. I've read this a couple of times online, but i've learned pretty quickly I can't believe everything I read. This is an aftermarket Eagle crankshaft. I'm just going to order some narrowed bearings if they are interchangeable.
c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Post by c1500sbc »

So I did find the part number on the crankshaft. It is a crankshaft with a larger .125" fillet radius and it does require the narrow bearings.

Thank y'all so much for the continuted help! I'm still learning a thing or two!