Exhaust EVAC reducing scavenging signal?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ELS
Pro
Pro
Exhaust EVAC reducing scavenging signal?

Post by ELS »

so I want to plumb the EVAC into the exhaust to get vacuum from there, but wouldn't the loss of scavenging signal reduce more power than the less windage will gain?
with my current stock cam it probably doesnt matter, but could it kill some power with a high overlap cam?
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Exhaust EVAC reducing scavenging signal?

Post by af2 »

ELS wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:28 pm so I want to plumb the EVAC into the exhaust to get vacuum from there, but wouldn't the loss of scavenging signal reduce more power than the less windage will gain?
with my current stock cam it probably doesnt matter, but could it kill some power with a high overlap cam?

3 years ago the race car started leaking oil for no reason and spitting out the oil fill tube. Problem was the 1 way valve at passenger side the header was stuck closed. Kind of says how much they work.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ELS wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:28 pm so I want to plumb the EVAC into the exhaust to get vacuum from there, but wouldn't the loss of scavenging signal reduce more power than the less windage will gain?
It is another try it and see type of deal.
Are you using mufflers or open headers ?
General consensus is evac don't like mufflers.
I am also curious how it can reduce scavenging?
Is the valve in the collector a cause for concern??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
ELS
Pro
Pro

Post by ELS »

steve cowan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:46 pm
a single straight trough muffler, exhaust tube is a single 2 inch (50mm) aluminized pipe, engine is an NA 96cui (1.6L) 4 banger.
I was thinking it pulling blowby gases from the crankcase would reduce scavenging vacuum in the header
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ELS wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:26 pm
steve cowan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:46 pm
a single straight trough muffler, exhaust tube is a single 2 inch (50mm) aluminized pipe, engine is an NA 96cui (1.6L) 4 banger.
I was thinking it pulling blowby gases from the crankcase would reduce scavenging vacuum in the header
Muffler and exhaust changes everything, this is a lot of work but only way to find out.
Place vacuum gauge in header position where you think it might work ( could be anywhere)
Take vacuum readings if there are any and try and make a decision from there,even with open headers it is not guaranteed you will have a good working evac.
There is a thread on here about using a PCV to pull crank case vacuum, I don't have a link but it was in the last month or so.
Remember to pull crankcase vacuum you need a sealed up engine with no air leaks.
steve c
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

steve cowan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:53 pm
There is a thread on here about using a PCV to pull crank case vacuum, I don't have a link but it was in the last month or so.
I think this is the one you're referring to.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64622
Kevin
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

skinny z wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:25 am
steve cowan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:53 pm
I think this is the one you're referring to.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64622
Yes that's the one Kevin,
Thanks for putting up that link.
I really like that set up with the rocker cover cross over .
I am building another 383 sbc at the moment for my weekend cruiser and it will be dynoed as well so I would like test that style of system.
steve c
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I think the idea would be.... that the VOLUMe of the blow-by gasses is so low in comparison to what the header is flowing that it won't make any real difference.
If done right.