Stock 350 Olds EFI intake manifold

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SpeedMan
Re: Stock 350 Olds EFI intake manifold

Post by SpeedMan »

P R S wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:41 pm
nhrastocker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:36 pm The Oldsmobile 350 EFI has been very competitive in NHRA Stock Eliminator with Bob Shaw with the car running mid 13's in the 1/4 mile.
In Stock Eliminator you have to retain the original intake and throttle body.

The are other racers that run the engine in Super Stock class going very fast in the 10's.

Bob Shaw later talked Bob Dennis into this combo for super stock.Bob Dennis ran the engine with the STOCK intake at first and went well into the 10’s before modifying a Holley street dominator to accept the injectors.I ran Bobs Olds Achieva S/S back in 2010 or so with that engine and went 10.50’s at 3100 lbs but that one had a Hogan’s sheet metal intake,which did not run any better than the modified Holley intake.....you know there are 2 different sized TB’s for that engine also......Victor
That is interesting, they have to run the Stock ECM? Stock injectors? I see larger injector are allowed in Stock, but I think those are a bit special, unless they just increses fuel pressure and that`s it?
Stock, Super Stock and Competition Eliminator is interesting classes.
SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

BOOT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am There are plenty of examples of people going fast with(around) a bad part But it's a lot of work/money in other areas! Kinda done it myself I have a TPI car.

Plenty of old threads with people talking bout an older part that works good IF

So if you don't mind spending a lot of time figuring it out... Or just want something unique.

Just remember most brand dual planes intakes have essentially became the same thing. That's what I like bout the LS cuts out a lot of old engine BS!
LS are really nice engines, but I find it much more interesting if someone gets 200hp out of an Old Renault where there is no aftermarket support, you have to do everything yourself instead of just choosing between 100 different Cylinder heads, 100 Rods, 100 pistons, Cranks in all shapes and strokes..
Of course, everybody would like to have those SBC choices, but still much more interesting, and impressive with an good old "Hot Rodded" engine.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

BOOT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am So if you don't mind spending a lot of time figuring it out... Or just want something unique.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

BOOT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 am
BOOT wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 am So if you don't mind spending a lot of time figuring it out... Or just want something unique.
I did not mean it in a rude manor, if I came off that way.

But there are many who does not choose to be unique, just to be "unique", there are many brands there just is no aftermarket support for, and I really appreciate that those people stick with their favorite even when it is not the "easy route" If you have a Talbot or an Peugeot you cannot just swap in an LS either.

Not that I have any unusual stuff myself, though. I do want to build an small block Olds, even that has some difficulties compared to other brands, especially now that everything is out of stock or not available at all. Edelbrock was supposed to launch some new Olds heads almost a couple years back, but how the times is now it seems far fetched, they have probably lots of other priorities for the moment also.

For myself I would like to try to make, for example an manifold, I do not have to, I can probably buy something better, but it would be fun to try and also maybe learn some TIG welding at the same time, if it ends up being junk, oh well, maybe it was fun making it atleast, and maybe I learned some skills and waht not to do, and I try again, or maybe never again at all.. :D HaHa..
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

SpeedMan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:39 pm I did not mean it in a rude manor, if I came off that way.
I didn't take offense was just pointing out that I mentioned it already.

For the record I have never owned an LS, don't think I've even driven a vehicle with one. But I do recognize they are a well designed engine. I'm a gen 1 SBC guy and maybe I'll mess with a LS someday. Still even the SBC has(in my opinion) waste of time old Parts, that are more hype than they are worth.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

SpeedMan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 am Hello,
Cadillac Seville in the 70s, had an 180hp 350 Olds that was Bendix/Bosch port fuel injected.
I first thought it had an regular really low and flat singleplane type manifold, but the manifold is just one giant plenum without runners, just like a blower manifold, is there any thought behind this? I mean, it is Cadillac, the "Standard of the World"..
I would think it is not the lightest car, and no intake runners in the manifold at all would probably not exactly help in torque production..

Have anyone here driven these? Where they afraid of some cylinders going lean/rich maybe? Since I think it is a "fixed parameter" injection system.
They made that engine/injection system for many years, maybe low performance but so was everything else at that time, and it must have worked decent enough for them to keep making it like that?

Seeing some of the stuff from the 70s and 80s I sometimes think there was no tought behind it at all though, but at the same time interesting and some "what if" scenarios.

Olds EFI intake.jpg
Difficult to see in the picture, is it iron or aluminum?
SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:15 pm
Difficult to see in the picture, is it iron or aluminum?
I think they came in both Cast iron and Aluminum, the later ones in Aluminium I guess.
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

SpeedMan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:39 pm
But there are many who does not choose to be unique, just to be "unique", there are many brands there just is no aftermarket support for, and I really appreciate that those people stick with their favorite even when it is not the "easy route" If you have a Talbot or an Peugeot you cannot just swap in an LS either.

Not that I have any unusual stuff myself, though. I do want to build an small block Olds, even that has some difficulties compared to other brands, especially now that everything is out of stock or not available at all. Edelbrock was supposed to launch some new Olds heads almost a couple years back, but how the times is now it seems far fetched, they have probably lots of other priorities for the moment also.

For myself I would like to try to make, for example an manifold, I do not have to, I can probably buy something better, but it would be fun to try and also maybe learn some TIG welding at the same time, if it ends up being junk, oh well, maybe it was fun making it atleast, and maybe I learned some skills and waht not to do, and I try again, or maybe never again at all.. :D HaHa..
As for the engine swaps, leave that to the aussies, i regulary go look up on their burnout fests etc, there is a mini (olschool type) with a v8 and a blower fitted. If hou think it cant be done, someone downunder did it or is doing it. :D . I love it.

Nothing wrong in building an olds small block.
I always wanted to explore the 403, or a caddy 500, but getting one here by me is another hickup, i am talking to a guy that maybe wants to sell his pontiac 250ohc six. Will see whats the outcome.

I mostly play with the chevy 153 4cyl and 230/250 inline 6 units. There is some aftermarket support but some comes at a price. With importing duties and shipping costs and exchange rate some items takes a bit of saving up first and others a bit more beyond that.
Have my fair share of building intakes of different carbs and multiple carbs, some work, some dont, some needs more time to get it right, for me its part of the playing field.

Chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

SpeedMan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:28 am
nhrastocker wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:36 pm The Oldsmobile 350 EFI has been very competitive in NHRA Stock Eliminator with Bob Shaw with the car running mid 13's in the 1/4 mile.
In Stock Eliminator you have to retain the original intake and throttle body.

The are other racers that run the engine in Super Stock class going very fast in the 10's.

Bob Shaw later talked Bob Dennis into this combo for super stock.Bob Dennis ran the engine with the STOCK intake at first and went well into the 10’s before modifying a Holley street dominator to accept the injectors.I ran Bobs Olds Achieva S/S back in 2010 or so with that engine and went 10.50’s at 3100 lbs but that one had a Hogan’s sheet metal intake,which did not run any better than the modified Holley intake.....you know there are 2 different sized TB’s for that engine also......Victor
That is interesting, they have to run the Stock ECM? Stock injectors? I see larger injector are allowed in Stock, but I think those are a bit special, unless they just increses fuel pressure and that`s it?
You can use larger injectors and also use an aftermarket ECM such as the Holley system.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

nhrastocker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm
SpeedMan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:28 am

You can use larger injectors and also use an aftermarket ECM such as the Holley system.
Stocker + Oldsmobile = Cool :D