Suggestions for Running a Quiet Solid Roller Valvetrain

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Topsp33d
Suggestions for Running a Quiet Solid Roller Valvetrain

Post by Topsp33d »

Been trying to wrap my brain around the qualities of a “quiet” solid roller setup. Some people think that tight lash helps, but I’m wondering if that is the only useful aspect.

Things I think might affect the loudness of the sewing machine sound:

Lash ramp style
Lobe intensity
Lobe aggressiveness
Spring pressures
Roller style (bushed vs needles)
Intake manifold casting thickness

Are there any solid tips for reducing the volume to a pleasant amount? I have never run a solid roller but I want to have a moderate amount of “wife approval factor”. Would an endurance style lobe be quieter than aggressive? Is there that much difference between 180/450# springs and 200/500?

Also for people running Mike Jones cams, would you say the Inverse radius profile is more or less loud? I’ve seen one mention of them being quiet.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Suggestions for Running a Quiet Solid Roller Valvetrain

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On the Comp extreme Energy solid roller cams the sound of the valvetrain at idle gets noticabily quieter as you run tighter lash.. .016/.018" normal... tighten down to .008"/.014" range and you will hear the difference.
I believe on these street oriented roller cams this also
gives a minor benefit in service life..
Noted this on both sbc and bbc's..
Some roller rockers are quieter running than others.
The Scorpion aluminum roller rockers seem to be one of the brands/type that run quiet.
These cams make great street strip power without being a full race roller cam.
You can custom order just by calling them.
I would not use less of a spring than recomended.
I would not get too carried away with increased spring force than default. Especially on the sadi cast cam core.
It works well as a system for its purpose.
Yes a bit tighter lash tends to run a bit quieter.

I find that most people set the lash too loose more often than not, as a default...

Set at the cam card lash the idle sound is not excessive but when you do set the lash tighter than, it does run quieter.. Try it if thats what you prefer.
I believe the Lunati/UDHarold (and Bullet) street strip solid rollers and th Voodoo solud rollers will see a similar effect with similar +/- lash setting variation.
These are all designed and intended for street cars.
Not the same as a race roller...
SpeedMan

Post by SpeedMan »

If this is a regular car, you could try some sound insulation before starting to mess with the engine.
Underhood insulation removes a lot of sound, also insulating the inside of the car could make it very silent on the inside.

It really is night and day difference.

Also thickness of the oil could have an impact. I have experienced that myself atleast.
Topsp33d

Post by Topsp33d »

Yes I plan on having a fully deadened firewall and maybe the whole floor as well. One thing I was considering is attaching a sheet of deadening material to the underside of the intake manifold. Perhaps lead or mass loaded vinyl or something to that effect.

Regarding the tighter lash settings: the one thing that has me weary of that will be the increased seat duration. I saw a post by Stan Weiss that had the lash ramps in an image that showed you could significantly increase seat duration by tightening lash. If a cam is spec’d correctly then it would be way off by going as tight as .008. I guess I could order a cam that was 20* short on duration and tighten the hell out of the rockers haha
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

I would stay within a reasonable window of lash settings, extreme on either end can get you in trouble.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Run a tight lash, soft ramp & flank, street roller camshaft.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Comp marine lobes a more gentle as well.
If noise is a real issue and this a street car /weekend warrior type deal hydraulic roller might be considered.
Rocker cover quality can make a difference as well believe it or not.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Valve covers absolutely, seen it and believe it.
Topsp33d

Post by Topsp33d »

I’m running blue thunder valve covers. They’re cast aluminum and are absolutely dense, heaviest covers I’ve held, hopefully they transmit less sound than other designs.
564B829F-DA72-4687-973E-0E1D8D00B14E.jpeg

So I notice tighter lash (like expected) and street grinds are important. Are any other factors relevant? I’m thinking the type of lifter bearing may make a difference, much like some rockers are noisier. Has anyone noticed a dlc or bronze bush bearing transmit less noise than traditional needle bearings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

First time I ran steel rockers over aluminum ones, I swore I somehow missed the lash or this motor grew more when hot and loosened lash more then normal. After a circle track race, I swore the lash went from .018 to something in the high 30's it was so loud, lol.

I did swap back to aluminum just to see and it was pretty amazing how much quieter it was.

PS: the lash was right where it was supposed to be hot just sounded loose as hell
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

billet wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:02 pm First time I ran steel rockers over aluminum ones, I swore I somehow missed the lash or this motor grew more when hot and loosened lash more then normal. After a circle track race, I swore the lash went from .018 to something in the high 30's it was so loud, lol.

I did swap back to aluminum just to see and it was pretty amazing how much quieter it was.

PS: the lash was right where it was supposed to be hot just sounded loose as hell
Ditto that!!!! First steel roller rockers I used was a couple years ago,I thought the same thing and have been concerned ever since. I had never had a valve train so noisy-ever,not even close.I check the lash regularly and it doesn't but barely vary after a couple hundred miles. I have set it very tight and at recommended and everything between ,still it sounds like a sewing machine on steroids. Dyno guy was so freaked out ,he pulled the covers and checked it out only to see all was as spec'd. I was chalking it up to the 1.9 ratio or a funky Comp prifile but now that I have seen your post I feel a lot better. Thanks!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Noticed same same thing with steel roller rockers on a BBC.. , magnum roller.. Rockers sewing machone loud...
Got the owner to try tighter .012" lash (.020" normal)..
Much quieter but still too loud for a street machine..
Later date on teardown.. Cam good, roller lifters ready for change. steel roller rockers pouched..
Lots of street miles.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

A good hydraulic roller setup IF this is for mostly street cruising! Mine running fine after 12 years.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

The age old dilemma of knowing what you want and the other half not being as enthusiastic. Cruising with the spouse regularly may only happen with hyd roller.

Good luck and bless you.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Keyway lifters will eliminate tie bar rattle - but at significant cost!