Suggestions for Running a Quiet Solid Roller Valvetrain

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bob460
Expert
Expert

Re: Suggestions for Running a Quiet Solid Roller Valvetrain

Post by bob460 »

KnightEngines wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:06 am Keyway lifters will eliminate tie bar rattle - but at significant cost!
Ear plugs would be cheaper..... :lol: ......or time for a new wife... :lol:

Tony what's the cost for keyway lifters plus machine work and bushings?............i'm guessing 6-7k #-o
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

bob460 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 am
KnightEngines wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:06 am Keyway lifters will eliminate tie bar rattle - but at significant cost!
Ear plugs would be cheaper..... :lol: ......or time for a new wife... :lol:

Tony what's the cost for keyway lifters plus machine work and bushings?............i'm guessing 6-7k #-o
In Oz $ yeah, that'd be close!
Topsp33d

Post by Topsp33d »

I’m not sure I will spring for the lifter grooves, but maybe a new wife…

I’ve already got an endurance style cam and I’ll just run it but if it’s too much for the ole lady I’m thinking maybe running beads of gasket sealant on the underside of the manifold and valve covers and slapping something like lead or mass loaded vinyl on there. Or maybe just dynamat if that won’t melt off…
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Dynamat the firewall, floorpan, and underside of the hood. It will be a different car if you do.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Topsp33d wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:01 pm Some people think that tight lash helps, but I’m wondering if that is the only useful aspect.
The lash itself, doesn't effect the noise. The velocity at that lash point does.
With certain types of lash ramps, the tighter you set the lash, the lower the velocity is at that lash point.
This is also true with some of Comp's designs, and Harold's designs, where there is no lash ramp on the opening side. It just accelerates extremely fast, right off the base circle. With those, tightening the lash .002"-.003" could decrease the velocity at the lash point by 50%.

Our Inverse Radius designs allow us to run less velocity at the lash point, and then accelerate the valve faster then flat flanked designs to gain more area under the curve. When comparing our IR designs to others designs with the same area, ours will have a much lower velocity at the lash point. This is done for durability and reliability. A quieter valvetrain is just a byproduct of that.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I found that a 1000 watt stereo system blaring Children of the Sun cancels out all lifter noise. :)

Your best bet would be to go direct to some one like Cam King that can design what your looking for.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Wear ear muffs....
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

GARY C wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:46 am I found that a 1000 watt stereo system blaring Children of the Sun cancels out all lifter noise. :)
I laughed so hard I fell on the floor. Never have I seen a Billy Thorpe reference on an engine site. :lol:

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm
GARY C wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:46 am I found that a 1000 watt stereo system blaring Children of the Sun cancels out all lifter noise. :)
I laughed so hard I fell on the floor. Never have I seen a Billy Thorpe reference on an engine site. :lol:

Paul
Good song for finding out how long a the tweeter on a 6x9 will live, just plan on having sever tinnitus for the rest of your life. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Topsp33d wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:45 pm Yes I plan on having a fully deadened firewall and maybe the whole floor as well. One thing I was considering is attaching a sheet of deadening material to the underside of the intake manifold. Perhaps lead or mass loaded vinyl or something to that effect.

Regarding the tighter lash settings: the one thing that has me weary of that will be the increased seat duration. I saw a post by Stan Weiss that had the lash ramps in an image that showed you could significantly increase seat duration by tightening lash. If a cam is spec’d correctly then it would be way off by going as tight as .008. I guess I could order a cam that was 20* short on duration and tighten the hell out of the rockers haha
Rather than full coverage look Into cld tiles. They are commonly used in the car audio community. What will give you the best result is enough coverage to disrupt the panels normal resonant frequency. Oems have been doing this for years. Pull the headliner out of a modern truck or SUV, you will see multiple small pieces Stuck to the roof panel, typically located as far away from bonded and welded joints. Imagine a 4'x4' panel, directly in the center install a 6"x6" cld tile. I have witnessed guys doing this and lowering ambient noise inside of their cars by 3-5 decibel at highway speed. While that may not seem like much, for every 3 decibel you raise sound the human ear perceives it as a doubling of loudness. In short, a 3-5 decibel decrease in cabin noise is HUGE!!
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

GARY C wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 am
FC-Pilot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm

Paul
Good song for finding out how long a the tweeter on a 6x9 will live, just plan on having sever tinnitus for the rest of your life. :)
Pink Floyd's "Time" from Dark side of the moon at 1000 watts will give you, and the neighbors dog tinnitus. 🤣
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Crane Cams has a series of SR solid STREET rollers that are designed to be quiet running.
They were intended fot engine applications that use a knock detector thus need a quiet valvetrain.
I guess Comp Cams has all the Crane Cams assets so contact them about a Crane SR series street roller cam.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Curious if anyone reading this has had any experience with composite valve covers, like the 96-97 gm lt4 used? What lengths have you gone to deaden valve train noise ?