Parts for Keith Black gear drive

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rickseeman

Parts for Keith Black gear drive

Post by rickseeman »

I have the cover for a Keith Black 426 Hemi gear drive but I need the guts. Everybody says the crank gears of different mfg's will interchange. I would think the cam gear might. The idler looks like a Donovan idler. Is there someone knowledgeable on gear drives that I could call? Thanks Rick
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Parts for Keith Black gear drive

Post by mag2555 »

Since new gut's will cost a good bit anyway I would just get a new Milodon set up since if I recall right it fits in a stock timing cover with 5 minutes worth of rework.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

mag2555 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:44 am Since new gut's will cost a good bit anyway I would just get a new Milodon set up since if I recall right it fits in a stock timing cover with 5 minutes worth of rework.
The Milodon takes its own cover.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Not from what I see in my catalog!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

mag2555 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 am Not from what I see in my catalog!
If it’s a Hemi or a BBM it takes a cover. Anything with a cheap stamped tin cover has to have a cast aluminum cover. How do you fix the idler to the cover if it’s tin? And the cover isn’t thick enough to allow for the idler to be fixed to a plate. That would be a cover like the SBM, Pontiac, Ford etc. Anything with a timing cover that isn’t stamped tin can used a fixed idler gear drive that fits under the OE cover. Otherwise it’s has to have a cover.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Big block chrysler gear drive from Milodon.
0E04F5AD-DC5B-4848-8660-9AA385FA99F8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

The idler is on a steel plate that they say bolts to the block.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

mag2555 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:35 am The idler is on a steel plate that they say bolts to the block.
That’s for a small block.