PWR TIMING GEAR CLUNK

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

HillClimbCamaro89

PWR TIMING GEAR CLUNK

Post by HillClimbCamaro89 »

Hello guys so long story short is last race season I thought my timing chain was stretched causing erratic timing. My buddy gave me a new PWR timing gear set for free. During install I found out that the motor I traded for has a flat tappet cam in it with roller lifters. I know it sounds insane. I ordered a Lunati roller cam for it and installed it last week. This week I am buttoning up the gear drive. I checked cam button to cover clearance with clay, it came out to about 0.007 with some massaging of the timing cover. I checked that the long idler gear to block clearance was more than 0.005 which it was. So I install the timing cover and the pan.

When I rotate the crank by hand it rotates smoothly but every time it makes a full revolution it clunks the timing cover. It sounds to me like the idler is loading up under rotation then snapping and clunking off the cover. I'm asking if this is normal? It sure doesn't seem like it but I thought I'd ask the experts. Here is a pic of it installed. It looks to me like the idler on the R/H side when looking at it has way to much clearance but like I said I don't know.
20220505_181636.jpg
Thank guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: PWR TIMING GEAR CLUNK

Post by 1980RS »

Was the block line bored? that might be a reason. The idler gears might be a little tight.